Tata Indica V2: Technical Problems & Solutions

Re: Indica DLS minor problems - need help/tips.

For the belt problem try changing to OEM belt from TASC. or Try greasing the fan belt. For the coolant there might be hundred reasons. More prominent are a leaking hose or check the coolant drain plug in the radiator.

Hi buddy.
I can help you a little. Here are some simple ways as following:
For coolent missing:
1. Check for leakage at top hose which goes to engine top.
2. Check bottom hose leakage which goes to engine block at back right side.
3. Check for water pump leakage.
4. Check radiator core leakage.
5. If engine gets over heated, check engine head gasket.

You will find some leakage in any of the above mentioned place and can rectify it easily.

Okay before I mention the problem I should disclose that I spend very little (less than 2K per year) on maintenance of the car & mostly on bare minimum stuff like brake pads, oil changes, glow plugs, coolant etc at least for past few years.[:)]

From time to time I have seen the following two problems in my Indica.

1. Squeaking sound from some belt, the alternator belt I'm sure & this seems to happen only first few minutes of starting the car & later while driving in lower gears. Not in higher gears. In the past the mechanic has just tightened the belt & even changed to a new belt once but this fixes the problem for few months & it starts squeaking with shrill sound again, which is frankly a bit embarrassing [frustration] while driving!

2. On some days I see a greenish fluid leaked from under the car which I am sure is the coolant because I know teh colour & this happens only or I see it only the next day in the morning. The coolant tank might not be leaking because then the whole liquid would have drained in a few minutes - right? So any tips on where the leakage might be happening from?

Thirdly the reason for mention both these problems together is that I suspect some of the coolant liquid might be dripping on to the belt & causing an even more shrill sound because I remember in the early years of the car the belt only made that shrill sound on the day the car was washed so I assumed it was the water which was in fact the case because sound stopped after the car was dry.

I do plan to take the car to mechanic but wanted to understand what needs to be done to permanently fix these problems so they don't repeat time & again, instead of the mechanic spending time guessing what could be the problem.etc.etc.

Appreciate any tips/help on the above.

I got this fixed & below are the details if it helps anybody...

1. The white plastic tank which holds the coolant was slightly cracked after 10+ years [;)] so got that replaced

2. There are two hoses/pipes which are called bottom hose & top hose which connects from the tank & engine to the radiator, the top hose connecting to engine had a problem/leak which was visible only when the vehicle was cold/parked .. again it was never replaced in 10 years. So got that replaced! It needs to be glued with silicone/packing etc

Parts cost was about 1000 & labour 250!

Result: Engine cools much faster & fan does not run as much! It has taken care of the belt squeaking as well & as I had suspected the the coolant liquid was spilling on it making the sound!

Lessons learnt!

1. Replace any of the semi-transparent tanks under the hood after 5-8 years because those become opaque over time and you hardly can see which fluids are full/leaking and which aren't.

2. Use coloured coolant liquid & fill only till max level on the tank for circulation!

Last edited:
Re: Tata Indica V2 DLS - List of Problems. Help Required!

Quick Indica V2 question, is the coolant liquid to be filled undiluted? or to be mixed with water & if so what is the right proportion to be mixed with water? Thanks

I'm sure we mixed water to coolent water in 50-50ratio for my Black Indica DLS, But for Vista I'm not sure about the water mixing.

Hope Guru's will throw some light on this[:D]

Here's a situation that arises by mixing too much water with coolant. Since water diluted coolant liquid will obviously cool the engine lesser than undiluted coolant, the radiator fan (big one) keeps coming on & off very often & it leads to the fuse burning off etc & other such electrical problems!

So the trade off if you use diluted coolant will be your fan running much more than normal! so I am beginning to think that diluted coolant should not recommended at all ! Use good quality coolant to fill up the coolant tank with no water mixed. other opinions are welcome!

INDICA Diesel Preventive maintenance - Big list of doubts & queries

Hi,
I am starting this thread on behalf of my friend who has booked a Used car from a dealer here in Bangalore. We are not sure if the previous owner has serviced it recently & the dealer himself is insisting upon a full service ASAP. Here are the details of the car

TATA INDICA (I think it is DLG model)
Fuel Type - Diesel
Turbocharged - Not sure
Model - 2007
Single owner
37,xxxkms done till date
Accident free

The story:
My friend has bought this from a dealer who does not provide any free service/warranty. The dealer only sells cars. My friend is very particular that he doesnot want to visit TASS (he has read a lot of posts on TAI & similar forums about the quality of TASS service) for two reasons
1. Not at all happy with the reviews he read on the internet
2. The car itself is in very good condition & wont need TASS kind of expensive service (Although I am yet to see the car).

My doubts & queries:
Since I have never owned/serviced a diesel car, I have only driven them (Vento TDI, Fiesta classic, Innova) for a few thousand kilometers, I am posting my doubts here.

Assuming that the car needs a full service as soon as we buy it, Am I right that the below parts needs to be changed? Can someone give a rough idea on prices of each part (this way we have some idea on necessary parts & their prices before I visit any spares shop/garage)

Parts I am planning to change are:
Engine Oil, Brake Oil, gear oil, All Belts, Radiator Hoses, Coolant, Wiper blades, front 2 tyres (must), wheel bearings (only if worn out), 100/90wiring kit, disc brake pads.

Please suggest on:
1. Engine Oil - Not synthetic as it is too costly (for his usage), Semi synthetic/mineral? Brand, price, 5.5ltrs/ 6ltrs?

2. Gear Oil - Brand, quantity, price

3. Brake Oil - DOT3 or DOT4 - Manual says DOT3 (I had used DOT4 in my M800 itself)

4. Seat Belt driver side (worn out in present car) - cost & brand

6. Battery top up (with distilled water) - is it a 90amps battery

7. Diesel Filter (is it a must?) - never seen one till date[surprise] (you can understand now, why my list is so big)

8. Air filter (Brand Name?)

9.Glow plugs - how to identify if they are alright or need replacement?

10. I believe the new clear lens type headlamp of latest Indica will fit the old car too?

Other doubts on diesel cars.
1. Does the Engine Oil, Gear Oil & Coolant differ in petrol & diesel engines?
2. Where is the diesel filter located in a car?
3. Is Indica headlamp glass/plastic type - do you suggest 100/90kit?
4. I read somewhere else that Indica Diesel pump costs 13k! Is that true?
5. Did Indica come with Turbo charged engine in 2007? If yes, did it have intercooler too?
6. Do all Turbocharged cars in today's market come with Intercooler?
7. Are drain bolts for Engine Oil & gear oil easy to access in a Indica (is it similar to M800?)
8. Does TATA too have Authorised dealers to sell Genuine Tata parts? like MGP outlets (ESSAR, POPULAR etc) Is there any outlet in J.C.Road?
9. Do you suggest aftermarket parts or Genuine parts for a Indica Diesel?
10. Any particular outlet where I can get all this stuff at once?

Since he is my friend, I am planning a DIY day with his car [;)] (hope he agrees).
SORRY FOR THE BIG LIST OF QUESTIONS, this is the first time I am entering a Diesel cars engine bay so I am excited already :D. Please do help me out with the prices too. We have roughly figured out the bill to be around Rs.10,000/- max for parts alone. Also let me know if the list is going to unnecessarily cost my dear friend.

Last edited:
Re: INDICA Diesel Preventive maintenance - Big list of doubts & queries

How many kms has the car clocked? Did he verify the odometer with TASS? If you can PM me the car's number I would try to get its service records.

for more details please go through below link
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Why Maintenance

Other answers in bold as much possible.

Thanks,
Anshuman

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Does the Engine Oil, Gear Oil & Coolant differ in petrol & diesel engines?
Engine oil= 15w40 grade use shell or mobile Gear oil= no idea Coolant = mostly similar 50:50 or 60:40 ratio with water. Use green colour.
2. Where is the diesel filter located in a car?
Its behind the radiator fan. From the top you can see it right downside of the diesel pump Black colour cup shape. For DLG model you need to use Indigo diesel filters.
3. Is Indica headlamp glass/plastic type - do you suggest 100/90kit?
No idea. I think you need to change the holder to ceramic holder.
4. I read somewhere else that Indica Diesel pump costs 13k! Is that true?
May be. You can service it by 6k to 8k.
5. Did Indica come with Turbo charged engine in 2007? If yes, did it have intercooler too?
Turbocharged and intercooled(TCIC Engine) only in DLG and DLX model.
6. Do all Turbocharged cars in today's market come with Intercooler?
Most of the car.
7. Are drain bolts for Engine Oil & gear oil easy to access in a Indica (is it similar to M800?).
Engine oil is easy but gear oil is difficult.
Does TATA too have Authorised dealers to sell Genuine Tata parts? like MGP outlets (ESSAR, POPULAR etc) Is there any outlet in J.C.Road?
No idea.
9. Do you suggest aftermarket parts or Genuine parts for a Indica Diesel?
Always use Genuine parts.
10. Any particular outlet where I can get all this stuff at once?
No idea.

Thanks a lot linkin for the detailed reply. I will update here once I am done with the shopping.

Hi SS80 for Tata spares you have a outlet, Prerana Spares near JC road signal.

It is almost same as our MGP Essar. Try once.

Directions - Instead of taking right to JC road go straight about 300-400 mts you will find it on left.

Regarding the Headlamps, you can even get indigo's HL's it will be a direct fit.

Varun, is it on the same road that leads to Pallavi theatre (the shop next to essar is it?) or is it on nitin automobiles road? or J.k.auto road? I have been there N no:of times but never noticed any road name.

Re: INDICA Diesel Preventive maintenance - Big list of doubts & queries

My replies in bold....

Hi,
I am starting this thread on behalf of my friend who has booked a Used car from a dealer here in Bangalore. We are not sure if the previous owner has serviced it recently & the dealer himself is insisting upon a full service ASAP. Here are the details of the car

TATA INDICA (I think it is DLG model)
Fuel Type - Diesel
Turbocharged - Not sure.
Model - 2007
Single owner
37,xxxkms done till date
Accident free

The story:
My friend has bought this from a dealer who does not provide any free service/warranty. The dealer only sells cars. My friend is very particular that he doesnot want to visit TASS (he has read a lot of posts on TAI & similar forums about the quality of TASS service) for two reasons
1. Not at all happy with the reviews he read on the internet
2. The car itself is in very good condition & wont need TASS kind of expensive service (Although I am yet to see the car).

My doubts & queries:
Since I have never owned/serviced a diesel car, I have only driven them (Vento TDI, Fiesta classic, Innova) for a few thousand kilometers, I am posting my doubts here.

Assuming that the car needs a full service as soon as we buy it, Am I right that the below parts needs to be changed? Can someone give a rough idea on prices of each part (this way we have some idea on necessary parts & their prices before I visit any spares shop/garage)

Parts I am planning to change are:
Engine Oil, Brake Oil, gear oil, All Belts, Radiator Hoses, Coolant, Wiper blades, front 2 tyres (must), wheel bearings (only if worn out), 100/90wiring kit, disc brake pads.
Check the condition of the oils. If engine oil is darkened(happens even after a few 100 kms) get it changed. Brake oil not needed. Just top up if required.Gear oil change recomended around 40000 km mark, so do it. Change external belts(2 nos). No need to change hoses and coolant( unless needed). With the wiper blades, spray some water on the windshield and see if the bladed leave streaks, change when monsoon arives. Will harden in the summer heat. Indica tyres lose threads by 40000 km mark. So see if needs change and upgrade to Apollo Accelere. Bearings if noisy. No wiring kit needed for Indica. Just upgrade the light fuses with 30amp ones. Indica already has relays. I use 100/90 with the standard setup and fuse ugrade. Front brake pads change if needed.
Please suggest on:
1. Engine Oil - Not synthetic as it is too costly (for his usage), Semi synthetic/mineral? Brand, price, 5.5ltrs/ 6ltrs?Indica performs best with the simpler mineral oils. Tata recommends Castrol GTD. U can try Mobil 1 too. Abt Rs.1000.

2. Gear Oil - Brand, quantity, price

3. Brake Oil - DOT3 or DOT4 - Manual says DOT3 (I had used DOT4 in my M800 itself)No issues with any. Dont mix.

4. Seat Belt driver side (worn out in present car) - cost & brand. Not sure though shud be less than a grand each.

6. Battery top up (with distilled water) - is it a 90amps battery

7. Diesel Filter (is it a must?) - never seen one till date[surprise] (you can understand now, why my list is so big)Depends on the condition. Can do it though.

8. Air filter (Brand Name?)Standard one for abt Rs. 150 or so.

9.Glow plugs - how to identify if they are alright or need replacement?If the car starts with a couple of cranks in normal weather after the heater sign goes off then no need to replace. Colder weathers may need 2-4 heating cycles.

10. I believe the new clear lens type headlamp of latest Indica will fit the old car too? Other than looks, they serve no better. Infact light quality is better in the older non-clear lights.

Other doubts on diesel cars.
1. Does the Engine Oil, Gear Oil & Coolant differ in petrol & diesel engines?Engine oil does.Diesel oil has nore detergents in it. Diesel oil can be used in petro enginesl.
2. Where is the diesel filter located in a car? Pump and filter are located above the gearbox.
3. Is Indica headlamp glass/plastic type - do you suggest 100/90kit? Plastic type in clear lens.Kit not needed as mentioned above.
4. I read somewhere else that Indica Diesel pump costs 13k! Is that true?Somewhere close to it. Indigo pump(turbo) costs over 22k.
5. Did Indica come with Turbo charged engine in 2007? If yes, did it have intercooler too?Yes with intercooler.
6. Do all Turbocharged cars in today's market come with Intercooler? Most of them.
7. Are drain bolts for Engine Oil & gear oil easy to access in a Indica (is it similar to M800?)Not similar though easy to access. Open the bonnet and see. Its all a tight fit.
8. Does TATA too have Authorised dealers to sell Genuine Tata parts? like MGP outlets (ESSAR, POPULAR etc) Is there any outlet in J.C.Road?Other roadside spares dealers also sell genuine parts. They have a cover like MGP does. TASS will have only the Tata genuine parts.
9. Do you suggest aftermarket parts or Genuine parts for a Indica Diesel?Critical Parts related to engine and suspension shud be atleast from the original manufacturer if not with Tata packing. U can try stuff from other car parts for suspension, though to a very limited extent. Body panels can be from local or used market. No issues. Same with any other car.
10. Any particular outlet where I can get all this stuff at once?Any spare parts dealer shud be able to do this.

Since he is my friend, I am planning a DIY day with his car [;)] (hope he agrees).
SORRY FOR THE BIG LIST OF QUESTIONS, this is the first time I am entering a Diesel cars engine bay so I am excited already :D. Please do help me out with the prices too. We have roughly figured out the bill to be around Rs.10,000/- max for parts alone. Also let me know if the list is going to unnecessarily cost my dear friend.
You might not be able to do everything like for eg. changing belts . The space is very tight and unless u really knw what you are doing, its advisable to get som things done with a mechanic.

Hi Sanky, thank you for the detailed reply. Your detailed input has helped us a lot (especially about the engine oil, HL upgrade & glowplugs). At present we got the oil change done at a local garage (Mobil 1 as you suggested) & the rest of things will follow soon. Thanks again

Top Bottom