Tata Indica V2: Technical Problems & Solutions

Thread Starter #16
Re: Tata Indica V2 DLS - List of Problems. Help Required!

@ Jayadev

I always used to stay away from TASS. Heard that their service is too poor and will give a huge amount as bill. So at present its maintained by local guy only.

@Gurrala & Sam

At present i am unable to afford for a latest one or a new car.. So only trying our level best to keep this car atleast in a moderate condition for few years. When i saw Appu's thread he mentioned there is a 2003 Indica, which has done 2,80,000 kms and still going strong.[clap]But for sure this cant be maintained uoto that. But for the amount we paid, we have to use it atleast about a lakh kms..

@Srikanth

Agree whatever you said, but remember every car cannot run like the one told by Appu, it depends on the usage !!, our worry was only that to maintain it for two more years or lakh kms., you should not end up spending the amount(+the amount you already paid to buy this car) which is more equal to a new car's price and having sleepless nights with its problems[:)]

1. The Car's wheel alignment is off almost everytime. It pulls to left or right as it wishes. I know well that Indica needs frequent alignment when compared to other cars in its segment. But i heard that it has to be done once in 5000 kms strictly. But we found that if we take it to Terrains or bumpy roads, its alignment is gone. Please suggest what can be done for this issue.?
My Indica DLS is 11 years old, 1,30,000 kms on odo. I go for wheel alignment every 7500kms. Actually this is the interval at which I change lubes and filter, so just for safety sake (tire wear) I do the alignment. My car usually runs on good, even roads so can’t comment if alignment gets altered after a drive on rough terrains. Have you tried changing your alignment center?

2. Another big head ache with this car is its pick up. Usually Indica is under powered with A/C. But this car has very low pick up even without A/C with five persons. It moves like a snail in the highways and i need to stand up in the accelerator during sudden pick ups. Its Air filter was changed four times as its recommended to change every 40,000 kms. We found that engine's smoke was normal. Suggestions are most welcome for this issue.
Ya pick up! See with Indica you can’t use the word “pick up” ;). There is none. Indica is meant for moving people from point A to point B with comfort and minimum costs. It does the same splendidly. Improving the drivability of Indica can be done in the following ways:
1.Go for better quality diesel. Ya, better quality fuel can make difference. I tried out many fuel outlets before picking up one. I went with the one that made my engine a bit more responsive.
2.Use System D or other fuel additives along with the engine oil. This will make the engine smoother and yes a bit more responsive too.
3.Along with the above two points, the one that worked best for me was removing the catalytic converter from the exhaust. Ya, I know I’m killing the environment but I can’t help it. The response was good and drivability with AC on also improved a lot.

3. Another issue is water leakage inside the doors. During a rainy day, we found that rain water was leaking through the door beeding at driver's door. Hope TATA is teaching to harvest rain water. We felt ashamed with this issue, as five of them was there in the car and after a big struggle, those water was drained. During rainy days, also Horn does not function properly. Door beedings was changed only few months back.
When the rubber beading along the doors and the door frame gets older, seepage occurs. I saw water in my cabin when my Indica DLS was 10 yrs old. Changed the beading and problem got solved. Also check if the running board is retaining water. See, in Indica there is a cut in the running board, when misaligned (due to accident or some other reason), water tend to get stored in the same, resulting in seepage. Check this and your problem should disappear.

4. Finally its regarding the formation of Rust at front doors. Its rusted below the window's beeding. Can we give a touch up for this one.?
Rusting is not an issue with my car yet. Ya, some areas are affected but very minute ones. I get them polished and keep scanning for the same after few months.
A touch up will help but not for long. Better to scrape off the body with sandpaper and get it painted. I know it is expensive but this will make sure rusting stops.

Thread Starter #19

@ Gurrala

I can get you. As of now, its running ok. Have spent Rs. 2500 which includes Wheel alignment, Engine oil, oil filter, diesel and air filter. Also bought a set of used tyres for Rs. 1200 as front tyres were nothing. Will see its perfomance for few months and can get an idea.

@Keep revving

Thanks for your useful tips. Since its going to be used as a Taxi, initially will do the basic requirements. Depending upon its perfomance, will go for a cat con.

Last edited:

Oh Srikanth, it is again going to be used as Taxi[surprise], beware with it, as we bought two indicabs and we sold them within six months of running due to the careless driving of the drivers[cry] and ended up with huge maintenance bills

Thread Starter #21

Yeah sure Guralla. The Car is going to be driven by a well known person only.[:)]

Oh Srikanth, it is again going to be used as Taxi[surprise], beware with it, as we bought two indicabs and we sold them within six months of running due to the careless driving of the drivers[cry] and ended up with huge maintenance bills
IMO, Indica DLS V2 is not that bad a product if you are looking for a basic car. Careless driving of cab-drivers got Indica a bad name. Any car, if handled roughly by many persons on a regular basis is ought to give problems. "Too many cooks spoil the broth". Its not that Indica is a trouble-free but it is not that bad really.

@Shrikant - You need to get rid of the CATALYTIC Converter, not to install it.

Have a TATA INDICA V2 DLs. following problems:

1. Noise coming from engine (exactly don't know from where) after showing to TASC
at Om Sai, Mumbai, replaced the silencer with catalytic convertor there was a hole
there. The sound seems to a hollow type as well as rattling type. The rear view
mirror vibrates like a rubber string when pulled and left suddenly.

2. The clutch TASC says they replaced have the bills also from them, after 500km the
clutch pedal is quite hard. please help in guiding what is the problem.

3. The handbrake side gets heated up when the car is in motion in day time.

4. The pickup drops even without Ac, the 3rd gear shift is noisy.

5. with AC the pickup is very poor.

6. The steering seems hard, the front wheels both side shows crushing near ground
though the tyre pressure have checked it to be 30psi.

Please anyone can guide me to a good mechanic here in Mumbai have spent a lot on these TASC guys.

Also recommend me whats the solutions for all this problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Have a TATA INDICA V2 DLs.... following problems:
1. Noise coming from engine (exactly don't know from where) after showing to TASC
at Om Sai, Mumbai, replaced the silencer with catalytic convertor there was a hole
there. The sound seems to a hollow type as well as rattling type. The rear view
mirror vibrates like a rubber string when pulled and left suddenly.
Sorry bro, I can’t comment on this regard. However, my car also developed high decibel level recently along with a rattling noise. The silencer had developed a hole and it was welded. The silencer pipe was aligned. It suffered a blow from a huge speed breaker, hence was making a rattling sound. Once these two issues were addressed, no more noises for me.

2. The clutch TASC says they replaced have the bills also from them, after 500km the
clutch pedal is quite hard.... please help in guiding what is the problem.
Have you considered replacing the clutch cable? I had this hard-clutch issue and thought for going for new clutch plates. Got a wild thought of trying out new clutch cable and splendidly the issue was fixed. It is now butter-smooth. In your case, I doubt if they actually installed new clutch plates. Better get it checked. New clutch plates should work almost frictionless manner.

3. The handbrake side gets heated up when the car is in motion in day time...
It seems the brake pads are jamming. Lift your car with a jack and check if the rear wheels are rotating freely without engaging the handbrake. If not rotating freely or making abrasive noises, get the brake assembly checked. Also, check if after driving, the rear rims gets heated more expected. Greasing of rear wheels should be done at every 40,000kms. I religiously do it; I hope you do the same. Without greasing, the rear wheels’ bearings lose their integrity and abrasion occurs, resulting in heating.

4. The pickup drops even without Ac, the 3rd gear shift is noisy.
Kindly mentioned how old your car is and how many kilometers have you covered? In Indica, we very well know that 0-100kmph or 0-60 kmph takes ages, however out of all 5+R gears available; the car pulls the best when in the 3rd gear.

5. with AC the pickup is very poor.
If you are comparing performance with any other small car, then let me tell you Indica is not made for performance (speed wise). I removed my Catalytic Converter (CAT CON), used Engine oil additives and good quality diesel. Pick up with AC improved quite commendably. Without AC, my Indica is hoot to drive (*As per Indica's performance standards [;)])
6. The steering seems hard, the front wheels both side shows crushing near ground though the tire pressure have checked it to be 30psi.
Check if you require some repair work on your steering column. Steering wise Indica's hydraulic steering isn't that bad.[;)]
After 11 years, my car too had the same issue with the suspension. I thought the suspension gone kaput. Got them checked and just the LHS was replaced. Garage guys said RHS needed repair. They checked the travel of the suspension’s piston-rods and repaired it. However, after all this, I have driven for more than 200kms but it didn’t find any improvement. Will get it checked once again this weekend.

Please anyone can guide me to a good mechanic here in Mumbai have spent a lot on these TASC guys.
I am from Bhubaneswar, so can’t help in this regard.
Also recommend me whats the solutions for all this problems.
I hope my suggestions help you [:)]

Sorry bro, I can’t comment on this regard. However, my car also developed high decibel level recently along with a rattling noise. The silencer had developed a hole and it was welded. The silencer pipe was aligned. It suffered a blow from a huge speed breaker, hence was making a rattling sound. Once these two issues were addressed, no more noises for me.
As you had said about the removal of the CAT CONVERTOR, is it an offense or against the regulation to remove that? If I do remove it what would be the pros and cons can you please guide me?

Have you considered replacing the clutch cable? I had this hard-clutch issue and thought for going for new clutch plates. Got a wild thought of trying out new clutch cable and splendidly the issue was fixed. It is now butter-smooth. In your case, I doubt if they actually installed new clutch plates. Better get it checked. New clutch plates should work almost frictionless manner.
Had gone to TASC (Om Sai) yesterday they say no need to replace the clutch cable. should I force them to remove and replace it? They did some adjustment saying that the level of the clutch and the brake should be equal but I don't find any difference in performance!

It seems the brake pads are jamming. Lift your car with a jack and check if the rear wheels are rotating freely without engaging the handbrake. If not rotating freely or making abrasive noises, get the brake assembly checked. Also, check if after driving, the rear rims gets heated more expected. Greasing of rear wheels should be done at every 40,000kms. I religiously do it; I hope you do the same. Without greasing, the rear wheels’ bearings lose their integrity and abrasion occurs, resulting in heating.
I checked the rear rim it is not hot but the front ones both are hot. Is it Ok for them to be hot? Any things to be done for it?

Kindly mentioned how old your car is and how many kilometers have you covered? In Indica, we very well know that 0-100kmph or 0-60 kmph takes ages, however out of all 5+R gears available; the car pulls the best when in the 3rd gear.
Sorry. let me give the history of this. I had taken it in 2002 / 03, then had used for about 2500km, then there were heavy rains here in 2005, the water had entered inside. I felt so bad that I just could not help it , then I left it standing like that up to 2011, as I was also outstation and have no one in the family to drive, my wife doesn't know and kid too. Then after much sentimental thought I took it with a towing van to a garage, they serviced it and replaced so many parts have got the list of them, then unfortunately, the rats bit my wires. (Also have a photo of a dead rat found in my dickey beneath the spare wheel), then I gave it to the local mechanic, he also replaced parts out, and rewired the whole thing with a spiral tube. told me to tie Tobacco Pouches, so that rats don't enter again. (unfortunately they do. Is there any way to prevent these rats. today also they bit my front right turn signal wire and the windscreen washer plastic tube, so got them replaced today). Then after the local mechanic serviced it, the brake oil light used to light up. then he replaced the brake container (black one). the it was running a bit OK. then I felt I should go to a TASC for better service and ended up going there 4 times spending above 50K for that!
Even the instrument cluster was affected. so the hunt began for the replacement part. TASC (Om Sai) said they don’t have. I visited so many scrap dealers also. then finally Om Sai got one for me but that too with a little bit scratches on the panel and a broken reset pin of odometer, which I then opened it and fixed it with a FEVIQUIK!
So over all I think 2500km at brand new level + 5000Km after the above incident so I think its around 7500km clocked!

But yes on 3rd gear it runs smoothly a bit. Today just asked the TASC (Om Sai) to let me drive a customer TATA INDICA VISTA VX diesel variant. its very smooth to drive. brakes are like feather leaf touch!

If you are comparing performance with any other small car, then let me tell you Indica is not made for performance (speed wise). I removed my Catalytic Converter (CAT CON), used Engine oil additives and good quality diesel. Pick up with AC improved quite commendably. Without AC, my Indica is hoot to drive (*As per Indica's performance standards [;)])
With the AC ON, the car makes a rattling sound. TASC says the problems with the fan. last time they told same thing and told me to change the bearing..(I still have that bearing with me) but no difference in performance and reduction in sound!

Check if you require some repair work on your steering column. Steering wise Indica's hydraulic steering isn't that bad.[;)]
After 11 years, my car too had the same issue with the suspension. I thought the suspension gone kaput. Got them checked and just the LHS was replaced. Garage guys said RHS needed repair. They checked the travel of the suspension’s piston-rods and repaired it. However, after all this, I have driven for more than 200kms but it didn’t find any improvement. Will get it checked once again this weekend.
I found the TATA INDICA VISTA VX steeing very smooth! How??

I am from Bhubaneswar, so can’t help in this regard.

I hope my suggestions help you
But please guide me what to do. I am just frustrated. looks like riding a bullock cart!

And what is SYSTEM D.where it is available in MUMBAI and how do we use them. Please help! Atleast I can get my car running with a pickup Sir!
Many Thanks to you. [:)]

Dear Karkera,

Sad to hear that you were affected by Mumbai Floods in 2005.
That was one of the worst in recent times.

Your car has run only 2500 km in 3 years!!

It was unfortunate that after the flooding, your car was left unattended for 6 years.

It was lying there as a junk for so many years.

If I were you, then would have sold it rather than trying to repair it.

I found the TATA INDICA VISTA VX steeing very smooth....! How??
Because it is a different car in a different platform and different mechanicals. Vista is a generation ahead of Indica V2

+1 to Safari's view on this, rather than repairing it, it would be better to sell it out.

There is no comparison at all between present Vista and old gen Indica, it is just miles ahead in everything[:)]

Because it is a different car in a different platform and different mechanicals. Vista is a generation ahead of Indica V2

But I am very much attached to my Indica. I just cant bear to sell it off Sir. Hoping to get a good advice on repairing and a good technician for the same.

Please advice any thing that may be of use in getting this car in a good conditions.

Many Thanks..[:)]

But I am very much attached to my Indica...I just cant bear to sell it off Sir....Hoping to get a good advice on repairing and a good technician for the same ...

Please advice any thing that may be of use in getting this car in a good conditions...

Many Thanks..[:)]
OK, if that is the case, fine I respect your love for Indica and suggest that please enquire and catch hold of a genuine & professional mechanic only works for Indica, do not go to any TASS for these works.

I know somebody like that in my city, he is just excellent and amazing. He solves the problems precisely and those will never repeat again and he charges very reasonable. Reason, he is passionate of TATA cars.

So check in your city and take the help of our TAI members of Mumbai too and find out the good mechanic and get the work done there. You can even check with our Pune members as it is not too far for you

Indica DLS minor problems - need help/tips.

Okay before I mention the problem I should disclose that I spend very little (less than 2K per year) on maintenance of the car & mostly on bare minimum stuff like brake pads, oil changes, glow plugs, coolant etc at least for past few years.[:)]

From time to time I have seen the following two problems in my Indica.

1. Squeaking sound from some belt, the alternator belt I'm sure & this seems to happen only first few minutes of starting the car & later while driving in lower gears. Not in higher gears. In the past the mechanic has just tightened the belt & even changed to a new belt once but this fixes the problem for few months & it starts squeaking with shrill sound again, which is frankly a bit embarrassing [frustration] while driving!

2. On some days I see a greenish fluid leaked from under the car which I am sure is the coolant because I know teh colour & this happens only or I see it only the next day in the morning. The coolant tank might not be leaking because then the whole liquid would have drained in a few minutes - right? So any tips on where the leakage might be happening from?

Thirdly the reason for mention both these problems together is that I suspect some of the coolant liquid might be dripping on to the belt & causing an even more shrill sound because I remember in the early years of the car the belt only made that shrill sound on the day the car was washed so I assumed it was the water which was in fact the case because sound stopped after the car was dry.

I do plan to take the car to mechanic but wanted to understand what needs to be done to permanently fix these problems so they don't repeat time & again, instead of the mechanic spending time guessing what could be the problem.etc.etc.

Appreciate any tips/help on the above.

Last edited:

Top Bottom