Tata Hexa XT 4x4 Arizona Blue - Initial Ownership Review

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks

My family stays at Delhi. I am in Vizag, and going to be here for a while. Hence the AP plates.

Yes, the non 4x4 Hexa's are RWD.
Hexa XT 4X4 is not a full time AWD. I need to switch to AWD mode through a rotary switch. Also, there's an Auto mode, where it runs primarily in RWD mode. However if the Torque on Demand system detects slippage in the rear wheels, power is transferred to the front wheels also.
Hexa is known to have a capable AWD setup. Can emulate Fake diff locks by Braking spinning wheels. Any offroading you tried?

Thread Starter #17
Hexa is known to have a capable AWD setup. Can emulate Fake diff locks by Braking spinning wheels. Any offroading you tried?
Not yet. Haven't found the time. May be next month onwards I will start taking the Hexa for some road trips around Vizag.

Thread Starter #18
Update after driving around for one month/ 1000 kms

Usage Pattern

I have driven the Hexa for around 1000 kms till now. Mostly in city (80%) for travelling to/ from office, and a few relatively short highway drives.

Highway Driveability

The Hexa really shines on the open highways. That surge of torque after 1500 rpm gets the best out of it on the highways. The engine never feels strained. Overtaking is easy, a quick dab on the throttle is all it takes. Ofcourse, all this is in auto/ dynamic modes. Haven’t tried the comfort mode on the highways, and don’t really intend to as well. The silent and comfortable cabin/ seats add to the driving pleasure, and long drives are bound to be fun.

City Driveability

Although Vizag is not really a very crowded city The Hexa in its manual avatar has proved to be pretty easy drive in the city. As I have mentioned, the turbo lag is hardly felt in Auto/ dynamic modes, even at city speeds. I have hardly felt the need to come down below the 2nd gear. Infact on most occasions, the third gear is good enough for pottering around in the city, spare for those really tall humps/ speed breakers. Although I must bring out here that the traffic situation in Vizag is not all that grim and progress is pretty reasonable at most places. The very light clutch makes the task of changing gears easy. However, as mentioned, the shift from 2nd to first gear does need a heavy hand.

Comfort

I can’t say this enough. The comfort levels inside the Hexa are top notch, be it the front row or the last. I had 2 kids for a short highway drive, in the last row. They just loved it. The ladies in the middle row were also very appreciative of the “nice interiors”. I have not been in any seat other the driver’s so far. And after 1k kms of driving under my belt, I can say that its one comfortable place to be. The “tight” footwell area is not an issue at all. I can’t speak for others, but I haven’t felt any discomfort of any sort in this regard, and I am > 6’ tall.

Offroad Performance

I was very eager to test the AWD system. Finally this weekend I did manage it, on an upslope unpaved stretch of road of around 100 mtrs, with big potholes/ pits. I was very pleased with how the AWD system performed. I was able to take the Hexa up this stretch, at a very relaxed speed. At no point did I feel it loosing grip or composure, and it went across very comfortably. I am sure the AWD system is capable of handling a lot more. Would be looking out for more such test runs.

Fuel Efficiency

On the FE front, one tankful (tank top to tank top) gave me 10.8 kmpl. This was with 80/ 20 city/ highway split, and AC on most of the times (switched off on occasions due to the very pleasant Jan weather). Pretty decent figure for me. Based on my experience of 1 lakh plus kms on the 2.2 M Hawk Scorpio, I am sure that highway FE would easily be 14-15 kmpl, driven with a reasonably light foot.

To briefly sum it all up, it's been a wonderful one month ownership experience so far. The Hexa has truly lived up to my expectations and has offered all that I was looking for and much more. It's a smashing value proposition, offering good looks (subjective of course), great space/ comfort, go anywhere ability and frugal running costs. I couldn't have asked for more, and I am one happy customer.

To many more years/ kms of happy ownership. Cheers. :-)

A bit too late to reply, but as they say, "Better Late than never!" Congratulations on the new car, sir!

Hexa in its AWD avatar is a very capable car and can take on some torchorous terrains with ease. If not for the last minute change by my dad, we also would've had a Hexa XT 4x4 in the same shade but nonetheless, we still have the same car in same colour albeit with an AT. It's almost two years of mile munching with Sindbad (my Hexa XTA in Arizona Blue) and we don't regret our decision one bit.

Post the Harrier, the Hexa hasn't received any attention from Tata Motors which has got a few owners worried but all these things don't bother me one bit.

Wishing you a million miles and happy smiles with your beast in blue!

Cheers!

Thread Starter #20
A bit too late to reply, but as they say, "Better Late than never!" Congratulations on the new car, sir!
Cheers!
Thanks Varun. Hexa sales going up or down doesn't bother me one bit as well. The fact is that Hexa met my requirements perfectly, and I am very happy with the decision to buy it.
So whether others are also buying it or not, I care two hoots about it.

Anyways, an update. I changed the stock tyres/ wheels of my Hexa XT 4X4 to 16" Plati alloys and 235/70/16 Michelin LTX force tyres.

Here a few pics of the tyres and the Hexa in its new get up
I
Hexa 6 (1 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (2 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (3 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (4 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (5 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (6 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (7 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (8 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (9 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (10 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (11 of 12).jpg
Hexa 6 (12 of 12).jpg

bhvm

Honoured Member
The new shoes very well compliment the Stance & Looks of the car. What did they cost you?
BTW this is Safari Tyre size.

Thread Starter #23
The new shoes very well compliment the Stance & Looks of the car. What did they cost you?
BTW this is Safari Tyre size.
Thanks. The tyres were 8.5 k apiece and alloys 7.5 k.

Wow, That is a really good tyre profile, platis look chiseled , now that Hexa is on 16", how comfortable is it when compared to 17" ?
The original wheel size for Hexa XT/ XTA variants is 19", not 17". And yes, the ride is way more comfortable with the 16"

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Tyres are looking good.I like them.
Alloys are looking good and beautiful too.I love them too.
Michelin is the best out there. But why are the tyre jutting out of the fenders compared to OEM tyres ?
Is it because AT tyres are wider.Even though the spec is same, ie 235. This should not happen isn't it?
Or is it just the pic angle?
What did you do with the OEM 19 inchers?

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
AT seem to have squarer shoulders making them jut out just a little bit. Another thing could be offset on alloys.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
So going by the above chart, the ground clearance of car has now actually decreased by 2-3 mm (by going from 19' to 16 'tyre)
Please correct me if my deduction is wrong.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #28
Tyres are looking good.I like them.
Alloys are looking good and beautiful too.I love them too.
Michelin is the best out there. But why are the tyre jutting out of the fenders compared to OEM tyres ?
Is it because AT tyres are wider.Even though the spec is same, ie 235. This should not happen isn't it?
Or is it just the pic angle?
What did you do with the OEM 19 inchers?
AT seem to have squarer shoulders making them jut out just a little bit. Another thing could be offset on alloys.
So going by the above chart, the ground clearance of car has now actually decreased by 2-3 mm (by going from 19' to 16 'tyre)
Please correct me if my deduction is wrong.

The tyres are not wider, they are same 235 mm as the stock ones. Its just the offset of the alloys thats making the tyres jut out a little. And yes, the ground clearance has come down from 209 mm to 200 mm with these tyres, since the overall diameter of the tyres has reduced a bit. Although this change in dia is within acceptable limits.
Regarding the stock tyres, I sold them to other Hexa owners, who were looking to get 19" alloy + tyre for their spare tyre, which otherwise is a 16" steel wheel / tyre.

Thread Starter #30
Got the 2nd service done yesterday. 4000 kms and six months from the date of purchase. Nothing much to report. This service is supposed to be just routine checks. However, I opted for a voluntary engine oil/ oil filter change. No issues/ niggles to report.

Also got this 4x4 badge on the tail gate.

IMG_20190623_093827.jpg

Top Bottom