Tata Hexa XT 4x2: Ownership Of 20,000 Kms

Thread Starter #1
Prologue

A decade spent reading travelogues of Tanveer & his "White Elephant" (on Team-Bhp) down the mountains and uncharted terrains of northern India gives you that itch to have the opportunity to mount the elephant and let it roam free. So the first thing you do when you come back to homeland is decide to make your own road. Deep within... I knew I was looking at only 1 option and it was the VX 4X4 avatar of beast (you know what I am talking about). But slapping 16 big ones without looking at anything else is a terrorizing idea. What if you repent; and this is where I started looking at options (head at work knowing full well Heart has already made the decision).

I considered these following :

1) Tata Safari VX (not yet decided on 4X4 OR 4X2)
2) XUV 500 W11
3) Scorpio S11
4) Hyundai Creta
5) Jeep Compass

So started from bottom to have the final option at end :). Called Jeep, does not have a showroom in town, they told me to reach out to nearest town where there is a dealer. Jeep corporate team never called me back. I felt relieved as I did my part but I wasn't willing to go that extra mile for something which doesn't click in first go. End of the matter !

The road therefrom leads to Hyundai showroom. The sales manager seems contented with his sales performance; perhaps thinks we will follow up with him for everything. There was no demo vehicle available; his staff will get back. Entire experience gave a feel as if Hyundai is doing a favor to us by "blessing" us with Creta. I NEVER buy anything if I have to get in a queue to buy it... this is by principal. Chapter closed !

Next pit-stop was Mahindra showroom; took the better half with me and she rejected Scorpio right away after looking at XUV. No test ride required for Scorpio; took one for XUV. Wife likes XUV, puts it in shortlist seems convinced that its a good idea to go for it. I find it okay but it does not gives me the feel of "Elephant" that you experience with legendary Safari DICOR. Anyways; I am quiet and waiting for next Pit-stop. Mahindra guys will follow up with me later (2 months after I made the purchase).

This is going to be the moment truth... a long awaited one. Lady at Tata showroom reception gave us a curious look as if asking what product I am looking for and the moment I uttered Safari... I was greeted with curtsy and asked to wait for right salesperson. The sales rep pops out in 10 mins; very curious but says there is no Vehicle to show; leave apart demo vehicle. Sad... we discuss the pricing, availability and other items but enthusiasm does off ! I am sad! The rep now asks me to consider Hexa which is right there is his showroom in front of us but I am not keen; maybe the heartbreak closes myself for everything now. Sales-rep now literally requests me to take a test ride of Hexa even if I am not keen. I accept his offer.

Test Ride & Final Decision

We "Climb" inside the cabin and first thing both of us realize is the space (in contrast to XUV cabin we recently took a test ride of). Next was the premium feel followed up with the way Hexa grabs hold of the road (on contrast of XUV which feels completely un-planted). Hmm... this is something. Sales rep pointed various creature comforts, Audio etc and now this started to seem like a ferocious competitor. Few more test rides follows in coming days; along with a test ride of Safari Storme (now just for the sake of doing it) and the better half announced it is going to be HEXA ... I concur !

Here it comes home:

Attachments

Re: Tata Hexa XT 4x2 - Ownership of 20,000 Kms

In my case it was the other way round, I was kind of sold on the Aria, where as when we sat in the Storme, my wife said, if a big car is coming, it would be Storme. Ofcource, my close friend RKGurrala was also instrumental in my decision making to go for Storme.

But this hexa is a different animal albeit based on Aria. The ride is great just like aria, but exterior and interiors are way ahead of Aria. Sometime I get a feeling of going for aria, purely for creature comforts it offices and yeah front facing seats and 6th gear which was/ is lacking in Storme
But all the same even now after 5 years, it brings out smile every time I park my beast and take a look back before going home.

Hope you have millions of happy miles with your new elephant

Thread Starter #3
Accessories

XT comes pre-loaded but still have a few items that can be added. First goes in a TPMS with external cap based sensors (from Ali Express) and second comes Viofo A119. Third comes 7D premium mats. The initial TPMS (external cap type) conks off after 3 months; I always felt it was cumbersome to use and had a suspection that it is the cause of leak. It was replaced with Sensairy internal sensor based TPMS and this one works till day like a charm. A few times, it sounded an alarm telling me of an puncture and the system was bang on. Very happy till date with same .Viofo is brilliant and is hardwired to fuse-box. Records in 1080P @ 60 frames/sec. Hard wiring kit makes life easy and i never have to bother with it. It starts automatically when you ignite the V400 to life and closes when the beast comes to rest. Recommended for those who want no-nonsense peace of mind.

Service History

Delivery was on 16 Feb and the first service at 5K kms comes on 27 April. Total service bill was 0. Got invoiced for Rs 2400 for under-body anti-rust paint which I opted for.
Second service of 10K kms became due on 29 July. Total service bill was supposed to be zero but I opted to force change Oil, Oil filter, Diesel Filter, Air Filter and thus was invoiced for 5481. The beast become significant smooth post Oil change at higher RPM's.
Third service was done in Dec 2 for 20K kms.

Living with Beast
Varicor 400 motor seemed a bit harsh initially but become much smooth post first Oil change at 10K kms. Now it runs smoothly till 3500 RPM and pulls like the steam engine in Dynamic mode. Gears were a bit notchy in initial 2-3000 kms; post that it is smooth.No niggles, no rattles, nothing as I pen this down today ! The size of the beast and road presence is intimidating and I get "Right of Way" most of time on the road. Hatches & Sedans prefer to "Stay away" giving the peace of driving. My right shoulder took a few weeks of "running-in" to get accustomed to slightly heavy hydraulic unit at work in steering and now its a pleasure to drive always.

Mileage
The mobile app have logs of all 20,000 kms I have spent. The worst I got was 9.8 (just once); best is 13.8. Average mileage over 20K kms hovers at 12kmpl. MID is off by about 2 kmpl usually.

Verdict
One of the main reasons I went in for the beast was the legendary feel of a proper body on frame make and it still drives like one. No monocoque will ever be able to match it... Ever !

Top Bottom