Tata Harrier (H5X): All-New SUV From Tata Motors

Tata Harrier automatic with sunroof spied
1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_ExtraImages_20190719014501_Harrier_Sunroof2.jpg
1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_ExtraImages_20190719014505_Harrier_SUNROOF1.jpg

The model – as reported by us earlier – will not just be BS6-compliant but will also get a major bump in power. Figures are expected to be north of 170hp, which will represent an over 30hp increase over the 140hp motor available on the current model. A new spy shot sent to us by an avid Autocar India reader Kartikeya Upadhyay shows the model sans camouflage being tested on outskirts of Bengaluru.

While the model does look quite similar to the production-spec Harrier that’s already on sale (Rs 13.00-16.76 lakh), a closer look reveals that this particular test mule is also fitted with a sunroof, something that is not currently available on the Harrier straight from the factory. Additionally, the test car had stickers confirming that this is a BS6-compliant model and is equipped with an automatic gearbox.
Autocarindia

Bump in power, low end torque increasing well (for city driving), steering feedback (as one hits bends/curves, higher speeds etc) will bring #harrier back in the game. I have not booked #hector or #seltos as of now, waiting for #harrier refresh on what all is being improved

I been worshiping Harrier past 4 months drove 7,000kms through city, highways, ghats, mountains and I am still trying to find what many reviewers speak on like steering too light, NVH bad and many such.

I will say there are small niggles in infotainment, ergonomic placement of USB, big daddy ORVM. I have done speeds upto 160 kmph never felt steering is unsafe, NVH I don't understand this are people still talking about the proto type car. Every time I read nasty about NVH I don't play music in my car just listen deeply to see if I hear grunt from engine. I hear the same what I hear from fiat cars, Ford cars really confused because I owned cars from Maruti, hyundai and Ford all were diesel. Driven Toyota Innova a lot is the engine noise not in?

This is my first Tata car. I used to avoid traveling in taxi if it was Tata car that how it was but now Tata has given great machine. It gives me a SUV DNA and safety confidence. For people who love that DNA harrier is for you. There are some cars in market like hector which I checked due to too much bling ang hype came out disappointing as it was more MUV didn't find as a SUV or give a feel when you drive. All I liked in Hector is super solid body never expected such strong from a Chinese brand.

Tata should only concentrate on At and petrol mil that's the major part missing. Those gimmicks on sunroof big tab is not a big deal

I been worshiping Harrier past 4 months drove 7,000kms through city, highways, ghats, mountains and I am still trying to find what many reviewers speak on like steering too light, NVH bad and many such.
I owned cars from Maruti, hyundai and Ford all were diesel. Driven Toyota Innova a lot is the engine noise not in?
After 6500 km in last 5 months, I have the same feeling.
While the NVH story is funny, not able to understand the light steering part - a reputed enthusiast in a so called reputed forum even went to prophecy mode and assured us that we can see a lot of crashed Harriers along the highway in days to come - that was about two-three months ago.
It seems the Chinese are definitely working deeper through indirect channels.

Tata Harrier top-speed tested: Doing 180 km/h on video

Tata Harrier has become the best-selling model in the segment after it was introduced in the Indian market earlier this year. The Tata Harrier has a massive road presence, thanks to its new-age design. Also, the Harrier has just the right amount of power to keep you ahead in the city traffic while ensuring quick overtakes on the highways. But how fast it is? Well, here is a video that shows the top-speed of the car.

Read:
What so ever it does it still miss the 32 inch TV infotainment and open roof for partying LOL.

Nothing can beat real life feedback of a user, could you share your ownership views when you get a minute

not able to understand the light steering part
I did only a short test drive & what I did feel is that the steering is very sensitive (not sure if I am using the right word to express that feeling). Vehicle reacted very quickly to even a slight turn of the steering; not sure if that is just the test vehicles or what. How do you feel in your #harrier, more around bends & higher speeds?

I think the design & handling is the best in the class as of now (thats why I am waiting for fully fixed version)

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
After 6500 km in last 5 months, I have the same feeling.
While the NVH story is funny, not able to understand the light steering part - a reputed enthusiast in a so called reputed forum even went to prophecy mode and assured us that we can see a lot of crashed Harriers along the highway in days to come - that was about two-three months ago.
It seems the Chinese are definitely working deeper through indirect channels.
I read that.I am also afraid that so far non- biased forums can possibly be corrupted by big pumping of Chinese money. We all are so very much dependent on fully independent and bias free auto forums. That is the only source of knowledge left. All the magazines are already sold out to the car manuf. Just read any review from glossy mags. Its totally rubbish. Now If they manage to put bias in forums too,just to market their cars better,where are we going to get honest reviews from??

Last edited:
Same views as K!nky and autosafari. Driving March manufactured Harrier (XZ) for almost 4 months now (~3500 KMs).
Some inputs -
1. Some panel gaps, but not so bad as mentioned. Have Feb 2018 City at home and that car has some serious panel gaps.
2. For NVH, only engine noise is little high. Music at volume 6+ will make all unwanted noises disappear. Outside noise is not there.
3. Steering is fine. First day trip was from Jaipur to Noida, and no issues whatsoever. Coming from City, it is not city light. Did couple of trips on Yamuma Expressway and in sports mode, it just pulls. Ecosport (I had Petrol 1.5 from original batch) was difficult to pull post 140, but Harrier was too easy till 160 (Sports mode). Though did not want to mention these unsafe speeds, but drove just to validate steering and pull. Came back to safe speeds immediately from 160 but it never felt unsafe (Ecosport was not confident inspiring post 140 Hyderabad ORR).
4. (From my side) Still not used to hill assist. Still stalling car when on high angle slope. Coming from NA petrol cars, this is still new for me (and do not have many such slopes in NCR).

Rest all is good. Acres of space, great ICE, nice view from front, great seats. Perfect highway and great city vehicle.

I have been seeing lot of comparison between Hector and Harrier

My Two cents on what Tata could have done with Harrier.

1. Should have provided the luxury items like Sunroof
2. some more leather feel like dashboard (many of my acquaintances) have complained on the dashboard feel. I have seen it and felt I could have been like Safari or hexa having leather feel
3. some more jazz like bigger screen of ICE.
4. better designed alloys.

MG has played their card well and provided all the blings that an Indian customer wants. and it sees in their order backlog.

what Tata has to do is come up with their safety rating for Harrier. just like they have done for Nexon which as been consistent around 4-5k mark inspite of competition. thanks to the 5 star rating. this will go well with the Cassini aka buzzard or Harrier 7seater.

Is it so? Had any thoughts of MG have lied about car's British heritage. Is it a good marketing stategy to give false information.
Yes, its true that MG brand (erstwhile British company owned) is now owned by China based company SAIC (large car manufacturer, not small player). It is also a fact that LR a British brand is owned by India based company Tata (multi product giant). So is the fact with RR (owned by BMW), most Czech brand (VW, Skoda etc.,) owned by one group.

It is the intent of the company that is manufacturing that is the most important & that can be evidenced only with time. For e.g. Tata still feels that they can launch a beta version, even when they have a top design & handling tech (LR) at their disposal. This is true even for the #harrier launch.

Speed of launch & high levels of finish & quality is something that can be learnt from Hyundais of the world. I like the #harrier design & handling the best of the lot. I don't fancy tech (screen size, touch etc.,) at lot. The drivability, low end torque & handling with low maintenance is my factor.

Yes, its true that MG brand (erstwhile British company owned) is now owned by China based company SAIC (large car manufacturer, not small player). It is also a fact that LR a British brand is owned by India based company Tata (multi product giant). So is the fact with RR (owned by BMW), most Czech brand (VW, Skoda etc.,) owned by one group.
This is not true. Tata owns the whole LR and Jaguar companies. In case of MG, Baujun have only purchased the Registered brand name "MG" and not the company itself or even its factoried AFAIK. They're using just MG name for marketing.

Top Bottom