Tata Harrier (H5X): All-New SUV From Tata Motors

Dealership , and advisors aren't aware of the product well .

My experience with dealership here was , the demo car was there (One inside showroom) , the SA had been a lady , and she was more interested in sharing the basic features , Power windows, Automatic climate controls , Audio system by Harman .
Where I was concerned was more about features like Brake Wipe , Brake prefill etc , which were segment first , when I asked , she had no clue regarding these .[frustration]
Also she was mentioning boot space is large sir , I asked can you open the boot and show , she was puzzled , as demo car battery will be removed , so she couldn't open and show the boot.
Its been a week since I booked for test drive , I hadn't been even called too .

Same day had gone for test driving Ford Ecosport petrol automatic (I will post test drive review report soon ) , the SA had explained all features beautifully , and given me a long test drive of about 10kms , and he was saying , sir buy the car only if you find adequate for your use , (That's called professionalism ) .

Dealership , and advisors aren't aware of the product well .
Where I was concerned was more about features like Brake Wipe , Brake prefill etc , which were segment first , when I asked , she had no clue regarding these .[frustration]
Also she was mentioning boot space is large sir , I asked can you open the boot and show , she was puzzled .....
Ford Ecosport petrol automatic (I will post test drive review report soon ) , the SA had explained all features beautifully , and given me a long test drive of about 10kms , and he was saying , sir buy the car only if you find adequate for your use , (That's called professionalism ) .
Good that you brought it up.On a preparatory note, I feel we as prospective buyers should educate ourselves ahead and instead of them explaining. This is one big reason i haven't stepped into KHT TATA(Bangalore) as they cannot say a word except("Yes sir") for a TD, Though i am waiting for first ownership reports and letting off the first flaws to subside. Our Ecosport, Jetta and Vento were actually bought because of my parent-level peoples in family were very impressed with sharp knowledge of sales folks. My uncle had asked "What's new in newer Jetta vs prev- gen", the answer by sales guy was bang on, car was booked within the next hour. This came after Hyundai's sales folks mumbling and ignoring customers(with a "buy or don't buy") attitude which is prevalent even today.

PS: I recollect many instances of sales people at TATA, Ford, Nissan,VW reading threads on TAI, Team-BHP and explaining each other !( "Who is teaching whom" [think])

VAG's generally train there SA's every 6 months , with customer interaction - Especially their motto is - "Don't force customer to buy car , but make sure you ensure that the customer is equipped with info what the car is ".
Things deviate when , dealerships force the SA's to canvas into target and sales (Info from , a relative who' started as sales advisor in volkswagen , now Sales head there )

bhvm

Honoured Member
Also she was mentioning boot space is large sir , I asked can you open the boot and show , she was puzzled , as demo car battery will be removed , so she couldn't open and show the boot.
This is a sad incident.
I was hoping TATA has moved on and is working hard to change their image with New gen vehicles (Tiago, Nexon, Harrier) which are much step up above older Tata vehicles. Look how Mahindra Turned itself upside down and shook the market with XUV. Not only they had a new product, but they had a new experience, a level of minimum quality experience. I guess that old saying still holds true. TATA does not want to sell their cars. Its people like us who do all the research and come mind prepared to book it without counting on Sales guy or Showroom experience. Actually Safari guys are almost snatching Cars from the Hands of SA.

Took a test drive of Tata Harrier yesterday.
SA brought the car to our society.

As per him there were two more bookings in our society other than me.

I was more interested to check the slow speed characteristics.
Impressed with the pulling in 2nd gear without any accelerator input and then smooth transition to 3rd gear. Most important factor for me for City driving.

Steering is smooth and excellent in slow speed.
Turning is pretty good for such a large car with a relatively short turning radius compared to similar sized SUVs and sedans.

Parking lever was cumbersome initially but got used to it towards the end of test drive.
Reverse gear is engaged after pressing a switch.
I commented that the clutch is very smooth to operate. SA corrected me adding that smooth for a Tata car!!

So called blind spot due to thick A pillar and rear view mirror was not an issue for me because I am used to Manza

After completing my test drive, again drove it towards the next customer's place where he and his wife was impatiently waiting for the test drive.
He was curious to know about my opinion about the car.
He told the SA that he want to take it for a spin and do a harsh test drive, SA agreed with a smile.

This SA, Ramesh was working in Nexa showroom earlier and know how to handle customers.

Checked three Hyundai Cretas and two Innova Crystas immediately after the test drives.

For all those who are shouting out about the panel gaps and unevenness and those who are defending or justifying Tata motors with equally wired comments, I request to check the Hyundai Creta and Tata harrier side by side.

And for the Engine noise, my sincere request is to check the same side by side with an Innova Crysta.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Harrier is the official 2019 IPL Car

Continuing its relationship with Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Tata Motors announces its recently launched SUV Harrier as official partner for the upcoming Vivo IPL 2019. Tata Motors was a part of IPL last year also. The 2019 Vivo IPL begins on March 23.

tata-harrier-ipl-featured-768x399.jpg

The IPL matches will play host to the exciting Harrier Super Striker Awards – the best striker of the match will stand a chance to win the Harrier Super Striker Trophy along with a prize of INR 1 lakh. The batsman with the highest strike-rate of the tournament will stand a chance to drive home the Tata Harrier.

Read:

In Feb Tata sold 1895 Harrier and Storme. So if Storme is average around 450 units, Harrier is doing a shade above 1300 Units in the second month. First month, 400odd units, month two, around 1300 units. That is ok but what has happened is Hexa seems to be taken a hit, only 280 units sold. Pity for such a beauty

In Feb Tata sold 1895 Harrier and Storme. So if Storme is average around 450 units, Harrier is doing a shade above 1300 Units in the second month. First month, 400odd units, month two, around 1300 units. That is ok but what has happened is Hexa seems to be taken a hit, only 280 units sold. Pity for such a beauty
Link pl.

Had test driven Harrier last week , and same day had driven my friend's Jeep Compass .
Same 2L engine , in different state of tune . As the technical data says , it is felt with ride also , Harrier is undertuned .

Pros of Harrier -
1.Pricing - Tata has neately laid out the pricing
2. The rear legroom , its a premium SUV , the driver seat was put to my position(Seat quite to last position) and my friend was sitting in rear , he had great knee room .
3.Drive modes, Terrain modes linked with its suspension and steering - Am not sure on this still , I am pretty much sure that the steering feedback in sports mode was perfect both for an enthusiast as well as normal driver , in SUV standards.
4.Road presence - one word , its massive .
5. Drive modes also ensure the torque and power is distributed according to need rather than by which gear the vehicle is in or by throttle input (Eco mode - The ride is sleepy , City- Balanced , Sports- Power unleashed)

Cons of Harrier-
1.Pricing - Segment rival XUV500 has always its pros , so a pricing below that would have definitely sharpened its sales.
2. Lack of automatic transmission
3.Though it has certain features that its rivals doesn't have (Brake prefill , Brake wipe )- Essentials of segment like Dual zone climate control , sunroof , ventillated seats is missed .
4. Advisors lack knowledge of vehicle .
5.Clutch travel is too much .

Pros of Jeep Compass -
1. An enthusiast's SUV
2. Once the turbo kicks in , it just brings character to the ride . (Like all Fiat engines , turbo kick is there , but not the punchy turbo like in Hyundais)
(Can't comment on 4WD, as the version my friend had is the normal one)
3.Braking - Precise bite

Cons -
1.Not a passenger's ride - Stiff suspension , bouncy ride
2. Seats not comfy , its an enthusiast's ride not meant for passengers.
3.Pricey , not a VFM ride.

Last edited:

Top Bottom