Tata Harrier (H5X): All-New SUV From Tata Motors

On comparing harrier xz with jeep compass limited plus i derived a very interesting conclusion , both were very identical in terms of features ,so i speculated if big/striking bits are removed from jeep what would it be priced at ( currently at around 21 L ) ex showroom
1. Removing panoramic sunroof will give a price difference of about 1 L so it would be at 20 L ex showroom .( option of moon roof at tata dealership costs 70000 for hexa )
2. Reducing engine power to 170 bhp to 140 bhp will further decrease price by 1 L bringing it to 19 L ex showroom .( price difference between duster 85 ps vs 110 ps with same engine )
3. Reducing localization factor 85 percent of harrier vs 65 percent of compass will bring the price dawn by another L so it will be around 18 L ex showroom
And that is the speculated ex showroom price of harrier ,and it makes me nervous that the tata product at the same price point of jeep will make them settle at same sales figure thats around 1000-1500 vehicles/month

Disheartened of the pricing (speculated ) of xz and as a potential buyer (booked harrier on 15 oct ) i looked at alternative and concentrated on XT variant.On speculating price around 18 L on road its nearest competitor is Creta 1.6 sxo ,so here are the observations
Advantage harrier XT are
1. Style - Its not like creta is ugly but xt beats it hands dawn
2. Size- Again xt is a clear winner with greater dimensions (road presence ) and acres of space inside ( comfort )
3. Power - With 140/126 bhp and 350/260 torque and 2.0/1.6 cc engine xt is winner again but the margin is not high considering the weight /size of vehicle,s
4. Drive modes - 3 of them eco, city and sports
5. Entertainment features - Floating touchscreen system with more speakers and features XT is cleat winner over creta .
Advantage creta sxo are
1. Engine - Here creta has advantage of refinement and thus better NVH ,also probably its frugal (compared with jeep figures on ARAI as harrier figures are not out )
2. Comfort and convenience - Electrically adjustable driver seat, Wireless charging , Smart band, Leather seats, Sliding front armrest and Foot rest are giving creta clear edge over XT
3. Exterior features - Rain sensing vipers in XT are washed out by presence of Sunroof and smoked headlamps in creta sxo
4. Safety features - With 6 airbags, Hill assist, Vehicle stability control in creta scores heavily over auto headlamps of XT
5. A S S - Hyundai is clear winner over tata as far as a s s is concerned .
CONCLUSION - To me the advantage XT are related to HEART while advantage SXO are related to HEAD so at a similar price point my head is stopping my heart as 18 L is still a big money for me .So i wish that tata price xt with sense (around 16 L on road ) so my head allows me for the purchase .

Akash1886

Honoured Member
4. Safety features - With 6 airbags, Hill assist, Vehicle stability control in creta scores heavily over auto headlamps of XT
5. A S S - Hyundai is clear winner over tata as far as a s s is concerned .
CONCLUSION - To me the advantage XT are related to HEART while advantage SXO are related to HEAD so at a similar price point my head is stopping my heart as 18 L is still a big money for me .So i wish that tata price xt with sense (around 16 L on road ) so my head allows me for the purchase .
DrPath, I would like to share my view on the quoted 2 points as I own a Tata Car.

Safety: Yes additional airbags do add to the peace of mind of the buyer/owner of the car and surely enhances the safety for passengers but there have been examples where a 2 Airbag car became the 1st Indian Car with a 5 star rating. As far as the other safety features are concerned, no doubt they are useful but let us wait until the official pricing is provided at launch by TML then surely it would be wiser to compare and consider it as a purchase option. From my experience so far, TML hasn't disappointed the buyers as far as pricing is concerned.

After Sales: It used to be a big concern earlier but now as I have seen and experienced and many other new Tata Car owners have experienced, the after sales has improved for TML. There is a vast difference in the approach and to an extent in the knowledge of the sales and service staff of TML dealers. It is working on the right path and hopefully soon shall be upto the mark of customers.

Lastly, if it is head vs heart, If I was in your place, I would have definitely gone with my heart because if I would use too much of my head, only confusion shall mount. We live once so better follow our heart in some places. Marriage excluded though!

Regards

Akash

DrPath, I would like to share my view on the quoted 2 points as I own a Tata Car.

Safety: Yes additional airbags do add to the peace of mind of the buyer/owner of the car and surely enhances the safety for passengers but there have been examples where a 2 Airbag car became the 1st Indian Car with a 5 star rating. As far as the other safety features are concerned, no doubt they are useful but let us wait until the official pricing is provided at launch by TML then surely it would be wiser to compare and consider it as a purchase option. From my experience so far, TML hasn't disappointed the buyers as far as pricing is concerned.

After Sales: It used to be a big concern earlier but now as I have seen and experienced and many other new Tata Car owners have experienced, the after sales has improved for TML. There is a vast difference in the approach and to an extent in the knowledge of the sales and service staff of TML dealers. It is working on the right path and hopefully soon shall be upto the mark of customers.

Lastly, if it is head vs heart, If I was in your place, I would have definitely gone with my heart because if I would use too much of my head, only confusion shall mount. We live once so better follow our heart in some places. Marriage excluded though!

Regards

Akash
I wish your experience (also mine ) with TML regarding price ( almost all products except Aria were priced very lucrative/value for money ) holds on 23 Amen

I have quoted myself umpteen number of times, quoting again.
Tata ASS is definitely improved lot in my 6 years of association only once I had found Ass to be bit below par, else they have been at par with industry. I have Storme (so called the White elephant) but I have spent less that what I had spent on WagonR (my prev vehicle)

Of course, tyre change Storme were expensive than Waggies but then rest of the things, service, parts etc Storme seems less, (Yes I had taken AMC and warranty being used couple of times) With WagonR the part getting replaced were never under warranty (ironically)

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Tata Harrier kick starts the Tata Mumbai Marathon 2019 trophy tour
Begins its journey with the ‘Maximum City’ – Mumbai

Image 1.jpg
Mumbai, January 14th, 2018:
Tata Harrier- the official lead car of the Tata Mumbai Marathon 2019, today started the Tata Mumbai Marathon Trophy Tour 2019, ahead of this year’s edition of the iconic race. The much anticipated Harrier is proudly ferrying the winner’s trophy across the city of Mumbai projecting its superlative Impact 2.0 design language and its muscular build, based on the legendary D8 architecture of Land Rover. Culminating on 18th January, this tour is also the public debut of this much awaited SUV on the streets of Mumbai.

The tour is scheduled from the 14th- 18th January and will cover the leading corporates of Mumbai, visiting the campuses of TCS, BNP Paribas, Tata AIG amongst others who have the maximum registrations for the 2019 edition of this prestigious race. Enthusiastic runners in these companies will get a chance to see the trophy up close and also witness the Harrier in the full flesh. Additionally, customers will also get an opportunity to book the Harrier at these events and get their hands on the limited edition Collectors item- a scale model of the Harrier, which will be handed over to them at the time of the vehicle delivery.

According to Mr. Vivek Srivatsa, Head- Marketing, Passenger Vehicles, Tata Motors - “We are pleased to associate with the Tata Mumbai Marathon again. We have enjoyed a fruitful partnership with the event, which only continues to grow stronger. We have been buoyed by the response received during last year’s edition. This year, we are back with yet another winner on our hands- our much awaited vehicle and the new benchmark of SUVs, the Tata Harrier. The Harrier will be the lead car in the race this year. We are delighted to give a preview of the Harrier and the trophy to the fans in Mumbai.”

According to Mr. Vivek Singh, JT. MD Procam International
“We are very pleased to have the Tata Harrier make its foremost public appearance at the front of Tata Mumbai Marathon and what's even more exciting is that our lead vehicle will showcase the glory of the Mumbai Marathon trophy. The trophy was specially crafted by acclaimed artist Paresh Maity, encapsulating the energy of the run and the 7 islands of Mumbai. The human figure exuding confidence is not just the Marathon runner but the everyday Mumbaikar, whose journey takes him across the seven islands of the city. Standing on seven pillars also symbolises the human emotions that a runner overcomes to finish his run."

Offering exemplary driving dynamics, this 5-seater monocoque SUV has been extensively tested for a cumulative distance of 2.2 million kms, showcasing its mettle to wade through the toughest of terrains. Powered by the cutting-edge 2.0L KRYOTEC diesel engine, the vehicle delivers exceptionally refined drivability and performance. Harrier will be the first product to sport the Impact 2.0 Design language from Tata Motors and will offer extraordinary exteriors, intelligently designed luxurious interiors, future ready connectivity and infotainment.

About Tata Motors

Tata Motors Limited (BSE: TATAMOTORS), a USD 45 billion organisation, is a leading global automobile manufacturer of cars, utility vehicles, buses, trucks and defence vehicles. Part of the USD 100 billion Tata group, Tata Motors is India’s largest and the only OEM offering extensive range of integrated, smart and e-mobility solutions. Tata Motors has operations in the UK, South Korea, Thailand, South Africa, and Indonesia through a strong global network of 109 subsidiary and associate companies, including Jaguar Land Rover in the UK and Tata Daewoo in South Korea.

With a focus on engineering and tech enabled automotive solutions catering to the future of mobility, Tata Motors is India’s market leader in commercial vehicles and amongst the top four in the passenger vehicles market. With ‘Connecting Aspirations’ at the core of its brand promise, the company’s innovation efforts are focused to develop pioneering technologies that are sustainable as well as suited to evolving aspirations of the market and the customers. Tata Motors strives to bring new products that fire the imagination of GenNext customers, fueled by state of the art design and R&D centers located in India, the UK, Italy and Korea. Internationally, Tata commercial and passenger vehicles are marketed in countries, spread across Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, South East Asia, South America, Australia, CIS, and Russia.
Regards

Akash

No new inputs on Harrier, waiting for 23rd Jan like anything. So far I have been reading diametrically opposite reactions from the other forums and seem to be clearly two groups out to prove their point. People questioning the luxury appeal of Harrier with showing crude edges on the plastics which are invisible for regular use, torn fabric, loose fittings, and also claiming that D8 platform being old and rejected by LR.

Some, how I have felt that over here, the discussion were being done with facts and no preassumptions being made (albeit there have been few instances) but not as rampant as in other forums.

Cheers to that mates.

Only thing is that, since there is not much happening on Harrier front, our thread seems to be going slow.

On the pricing front i wonder about car makers strategy( not just T M L ) . Its a proven fact once the vehicle is considered pricey at the time of launch by the buyers it becomes a flop instantaneously , many good cars have been example for that like honda jaaz , aria ,s cross ,alturas g4, and later any amount of discounts/offers couldn,t make them viable . On the other hand any product that give a shocker of a price ( more value for money ) at the time of launch usually becomes a hit and then the company can hike the price every now and then and it still remains a hit ,like Ford ecosport launched at 8.99 L for titanium o in june 2013 and its price was increased by 50000 after just 2 months and then again 30000 after 3 months so it was 1 L pricier in the same year of launch and still it was on booking with waiting period of 6-9 months , many other examples are honda city, hyundai creta, tiago and nexon ,
Again a hit product can be priced higher and higher with even the mildest alterations aka so called face lift
Again the product is priced much higher with the change of generation and no one bothers ( innova, fortuner ) and their are still hit product in demand .
So i hope TML takes the market sentiment cues before pricing their very potential hit HARRIER to become a flop .A perception which has never been averted by the market till date .Give a shocker of a price to make the product in demand after which you can gradually milk the hit formula

With all the excitement and buzz around the product my intuition is that it is very likely to disappoint the buyers esp at premium price point ,as with so much talking and 3 months of the start of booking TML has failed to gather a substantial number of bookings ( that,s because if they had it surely their marketing team would have boasted about it ) . All the niggles like of ICE , NVH have been criticized more because of its tweet price, At that price point even enthusiast and tata fans are not fully convinced with the product . Above all no one knows about the interiors ( premium ,fit and finish etc ) of XM XE XT which might contribute significantly towards total sales .
One more interesting fact is that actually the real market is in price slab of 10-15 L on road ( around 40 thousand pseudo SUV + 20 thousand c+ segment sedans ) rather than 15-20 L on road ( total around 5 -10 thousand /month including the d segment of sedans ) .
So unless tata gives a big surprise on price front buyers will disappoint tata

Akash1886

Honoured Member
With all the excitement and buzz around the product my intuition is that it is very likely to disappoint the buyers esp at premium price point
I think it is incorrect to assume and unnecessarily be negative about an upcoming car
,as with so much talking and 3 months of the start of booking TML has failed to gather a substantial number of bookings ( that,s because if they had it surely their marketing team would have boasted about it ) .
It is really not necessary. Tata hasn't spoken of the pre-bookings even in their previous launches. Maybe we'll get to know about it at the launch itself.

All the niggles like of ICE , NVH have been criticized more because of its tweet price, At that price point even enthusiast and tata fans are not fully convinced with the product. Above all no one knows about the interiors ( premium ,fit and finish etc ) of XM XE XT which might contribute significantly towards total sales .
Niggles can be present in any car of any brand. It is just that how much are we willing to accept. It doesn't seem correct to single out the niggles of only TML cars. Even Nexon has couple of niggles but on the whole its a VFM and safe car. Let us not forget, its a machine at the end of the day and no machine can be 100% accurate/niggle free. Niggles can happen in a 5 L rupee car and even in a 50 L rupee car. So far, in all their launches, TML has done a good effort as far as product's over all packaging is concerned.

One more interesting fact is that actually the real market is in price slab of 10-15 L on road ( around 40 thousand pseudo SUV + 20 thousand c+ segment sedans ) rather than 15-20 L on road ( total around 5 -10 thousand /month including the d segment of sedans )
If in this price band, I compare Compass Vs Harrier, then the latter wins as Harrier does offer better package and appeal than Compass and if people can accept a good product from a relatively new brand(read=jeep) then I do hope Harrier also will get a good response from the buyers. Compass was launched in the starting price of 14.XX L in 2017 and since then has been doing decent numbers so presently to make the scene more competitive, TML should launch the Harrier under cutting the Compass by a good 1L and make the top spec priced under 20L on road.

So unless tata gives a big surprise on price front buyers will disappoint tata
Looking at their recent launches, doesn't look like that TML will disappoint the buyers or vice-versa. 23rd is yet another day for TML to further prove their efforts.

Regards

Akash

All the excitement around Tata Harrier seems to have died down as Tata pulled product launch too long.

Product planning department for Harrier have failed once again. They don't know what they are doing. Reports say Harrier is as big as XUV 500 but do not have third row and Auto and AWD option.

From price point of view, Harrier can not be placed equal or bellow Creta 1.6 as it is smaller in size and and engine capacity. Creta 1.6 base model starts at 16.5 L, here in Pune.

Harrier can be placed against Jeep Compass (though Compass is bit smaller in dimensions). But then direct feature wise comparison will be done by the customer. Compass is more accomplished product. Have bigger engine power at lower weight makes it more agile compared to Harrier. It has refined NVH compared to Harrier. Also as per reports, though hydraulic steering is great on highway, it is lethargic and heavy in urban running. In short from price point of view Harrier can not be placed against Compass. Why for the same money customer will purchase inferior product unless he is patriot and hell bent on purchasing car from Indian manufacturer?

Top Bottom