Tata Harrier (H5X): All-New SUV From Tata Motors

why Hexa is not crossing the 1K mark sales.
Hexa is selling less than 1K but similar Toyota crystal is selling 7K.

Jeep compas is around 1K and showing downward trend where as Creta is selling at 11K.

We need to think why? What will be fate of Harrier?, considering above scenario of Indian car market.

Jeep compas is around 1K and showing downward trend where as Creta is selling at 11K.

We need to think why? What will be fate of Harrier?, considering above scenario of Indian car market.
Hexa v Crysta -> Anyway pricing is not the factor. It was about desirability and MUV like styling even though it can handle rough terrains with aplomb compared to other so called SUVs, not to forget the Aria baggage.

Harrier is fresh compared to Hexa and the (loud) front styling can be toned down in coming versions if needed (read XUV). Just think, if an AT was available at launch, the whole picture would have been different - people praising the product.

The answer to why would be that majority of the car buyers are not enthusiasts and would go for a car based on a brand rather than doing a lot of market research and comparisons.
Toyota and Hyundai have a much bigger brand value as compared to Tata and Jeep.
Jeep, though a big name for off roaders, is not a brand known for is reliability.
Tata, even with the improvement in its portfolio around the years, has not been able to get over the brand image of bad service.
Hyundai has made its name in India, with repeated hits, and same with the Toyota, specifically for the Innova brand. Toyota, Maruti and Hyundai always had a great brand image.
World wide Hyundai has started being accepted as a good brand which has improved over the years.
When a person is investing a huge amount, they would not mind losing out on a few features if it gives them more peace of mind and reliability.

Tata has slowly started to get over its bad branding issues and is recovering. It is not going to be a rapid change, but if you compare the sales of the Hexa vs the earlier Aria, you would realize that Tata is on the right track.

Sorry for OT:
Jumping the Hexa Vs crystal band wagon.
First hand account of my office buddy who recently purchased crysta.
during his purchase period, Hexa ticked all his boxes, intact he loved Hexa, but then biggest setback he got was people who advised him to go for crysta since its Toyota and peace of mind. He succumbed to the pressure and went for crysta.

So the ones who go for car other than Suzuki , Honda Hyundai and Toyota are the ones who trust their own rationale and instincts more than was people say ;)

Tata, even with the improvement in its portfolio around the years, has not been able to get over the brand image of bad service
Being Indian car maker and our affinity for foreign products, it will be very difficult for them to shed that image. Even these days, I have met people who still associate Tata = trucks.

Last edited:
Being Indian car maker and our affinity for foreign products, it will be very difficult for them to shed that image. Even these days, I have met people who still associate Tata = trucks.
I agree that people associate Tata Motors with trucks, though I would not see this as an Indian vs foreign thing. Mahindra, for example, though being an Indian brands sells good numbers of XUV500, and Boleros.
Similarly in two wheelers, though Honda is the market leader, Bajaj and TVS are still doing good business and are well trusted.

If it had been just affinity for foreign products, GM. Ford, VW and Skoda would have thrived. however that is not the case.
We also have Japanese brands like Nissan (though just a brand name here), who haven't been successful in the market.
We have to accept that not everyone looks for the same thing. For many car buyers, the car is just an instrument to take them from point A to B in good comfort.
Safety(unfortunate), fun to drive, and brand experience does not count for them. As long as the car holds its value, costs less to maintain and gives a fuss free experience, that's all that counts.
Hyundai and Maruti precisely understand this and are offering the same. Toyota is a brand built with reliability in mind. This is the reason they under tune their engines, so that they can give more reliability without stressing the engines much.
People don't buy Toyotas looking at their power figures, or feature lists. They purchase it with the trust the Toyota logo has built.

Tata Tiago has now been accepted and Nexon also is seeing a much better response as compared to earlier. Tata is re-building its brand and we need to be patient and wait for the change in public perception.

Tata Harrier preview starts on 18th:

@ISO2015, The guy in video was more harsh on Harrier, and I did not like the tone of his speech as well. I checked one more video having group chat (Who should buy Harrier), and as per conclusion almost no one should.
NVH are little higher, no doubts but asking to use NC headphones was extreme. NC headphones are required for 80/120 beeps though :stupid:.

Good thing is first half is for pre-booked customers and second half of the day is for the general public. A TD may not be offered at the moment. 5 & 6 of January in Kochi. Anyone planning to attend ?

Went thru the reviews finally, the Motoroid guy has revealed the number as far as FE is concerned, 12kmpl in City and 18kmpl on Highways.
Some other aspects revealed:
3rd gear max speed 120kmph
4th gear max speed 170kmph ( not sure)
Can go upto 200kmph.(again not sure)

6th Gear, 1700-1800 rpm the car cruises at 100kmph.

According to rush lane, it does 0-100 in 11seconds.

Cruise control engages in 3rd gear and beyond and at least 40kmph.

There is a buzzer sound beyond 120kmph, as per govt guidelines, no one demoed how it sounds,

So this is pretty fast and powerful car for its size and seems to be frugal in drinking. So can say this car may not have drinking problem. ;)

As Tata had previously mentioned to my tweet, they would be testing harrier in GNCAP facility post launch. NExon is already 5 star. Plus this car has so many safety features inbuilt, so safety wise I don't see any issue. Would be surprised if this one gets any thing below 4 stars. Though I would want it to get 5 star.

I guess this will be a great buy. Yeah it does not have sunroof, or the AT but then you still get an impressive ice, have experienced in Hexa and Tiago and nexon, many goodies like HID projectors, LED turn indicators cum drls, nice big touch screen which is in landscape orientation this is good so that it may not obstruct the view, supposedly safe car (with 6 airbags, and lots of safety features and the fact that Tata are committed to safety I am pretty sure this will be a 4 or 5 star car. As mentioned above the car seems to have decent fuel economy too, So probably, it does make a strong proposition for itself.

Last edited:
₹ Who think it’s under powered than Compass with same engine- then it’s chosen due to kitna deti hai factor in India
₹ NVH levels - it will be sorted out before launch as the new e-turbo will be tuned better (easily & quickly) and more insulation will be added
₹ less power also means less stress on engine moving parts, which will not only return better mileage along with low maintenance and oil change cost plus more reliability
₹ In diesel motors you ride on torque not only bhp and the torque no’s are same with Jeep Compass. So technically it’s kind of same till a great extent

Positives
₹ Size and road presence the factor of Safari & RE fan following till date. Bada hai to behtar hai
₹ Big size SUV with 2.0L engine at the best price
₹ Amazing design with fresh looks
₹ D8 architecture means safety, going by Nexon 5star ratings means Harrier will score 5 star as well
And safety and better build is bound to cost little bit more.

How many stars Below mentioned cars got? How many airbags and safety features these competitors got vs Harrier?

Creta
XUV
Compass
Kicks
And other competitors in the segment or price band
Please share your thoughts

Tata Harrier preview starts on 18th:

@ISO2015, The guy in video was more harsh on Harrier, and I did not like the tone of his speech as well. I checked one more video having group chat (Who should buy Harrier), and as per conclusion almost no one should.
NVH are little higher, no doubts but asking to use NC headphones was extreme. NC headphones are required for 80/120 beeps though :stupid:.
Obviously he was joking about NC headphones. Active noise cancellation is used in I think in ford endeavor to quiet cabin.

But he has point, 'why same engine is quiet in Jeep Campass?'

Not only engine but filtering of tyre and wind noise inside the cabin shows basic deficiency in the design and little can be done for that.

Thread Starter #420
Its clear to every one that TATA HARRIER is one of the most the Best product from TATA after Nexon which is proven in Euro NCAP Global Crash Tesh Results officially eligible for car sales in european region and now its time for TATA to do some business. TATA should consider UK and European With ROVER (Marque).

- TATA HARRIER can market in UK as ROVER LAND5

- TATA H7X can market as ROVER LAND7

- TATA NEXON can market as ROVER mini-LANDER

- TATA BOLT can market as All new ROVER CityRover Mark3

- TATA TIAGO can be a ROVER Metro (Metro is an quite popular City car brand produce by ROVER in late 1990's)

- TATA TIGOR as ROVER Montengo.

Still there is lot of Potencial Fan Fallowing for ROVER brand in UK and Europian regions, We all the know that TATA Owns ROVER, Daimler and Lanchester Brand Marques Rights.

Top Bottom