Tata Harrier (H5X): All-New SUV From Tata Motors

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Harrier crash tested before launch – Scores top safety points

Tata Harrier has been crash tested in India.

What the Officials said:
“India does not have a star rating system for car safety as of now. So there is no safety rating available. But the Harrier has been crash tested, and it has scored the highest points in all types of safety tests conducted.”

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Harrier Automatic to be launched in 2019

Tata Harrier would be the next big thing coming from the Indian manufacturer. Tata has started taking bookings for the all-new Harrier and the deliveries would start in January 2019. However, Tata is currently offering only the 2.0-litre diesel engine with a 6-speed manual transmission set-up in the market.

It was being widely speculated that Tata would also offer a 6-speed transmission sourced from Hyundai but this option will not be available at the time of the launch.

Read:

The Tata Harrier will get a 6-speed torque converter sourced from Hyundai
  • The Tata Harrier, which is set to go on sale in January 2019, will initially be offered with a diesel-manual FWD combo
  • A Hyundai-sourced 6-speed torque convertor unit will be offered at a later date
  • Currently, only the Hexa offers a conventional automatic gearbox; the rest of Tata’s lineup get AMTs instead
  • The Harrier is expected to be priced in the range of Rs 13 lakh - Rs 18 lakh (ex-showroom)

Tata’s upcoming flagship SUV, the Harrier, is set to launch in January 2019 with a single powertrain option - a 2.0-litre Fiat-sourced diesel engine mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox that drives the front wheels. However, Tata Motors has now confirmed that the Harrier will get an automatic gearbox by mid-2019.
The transmission in question is a 6-speed torque converter which will be sourced from South Korean major, Hyundai. This transmission can currently be found on the Tucson, which is one of the Harrier’s primary rivals. Like the Harrier’s Fiat-sourced 6-speed manual ‘box, the automatic too will drive the front wheels as Tata Motors is not keen on bringing an AWD variant anytime soon due to miniscule demand for 4X4 SUVs.
Currently, the Hexa is the only vehicle in Tata’s lineup to offer a conventional automatic transmission - a 6-speed torque converter. Tata Motors sources the Hexa’s 6L50 6-speed AT from Punch Powerglide Strasbourg (PPS) France, a former General Motors company.
Source:Tata Harrier Automatic Expected Around Mid-2019 | CarDekho.com

My take, the rumored/leaked price tag of 16-21 lacs OTR is perfect for what all it offers, If you want to ride a safe car be ready to pay a bit more (Nexon scored 5 stars in a new crash test ratings, this makes a good case for Harrier as well).

Considering that best selling competitor Creta (indian version) hasn't been tested yet, and that the recently Crash tested Indian version of Hyundai i20 had unstable body structure not sure how safe indian creta is.
Well that is what I have been wanting to tell but did not have the proof. Even if the car has all the goodies, like ABS, airbags, isofix etc, it is still not sure to give you safety, classic case is the fiat panda and jeep which scored 0 and 1 stars respectively. I believe these cars had the basic stuff like abs, airbags etc.

So unless the car is tested I would not want to believe that the car is safe, esp from like of Suzuki, Hyundai and now the Honda. Rampant cost cutting in the safety aspects and heavy reliance on the frills and electronics.

Since the media drive the autosblog are totally full of The Harrier, and why shouldn't they be it looks handsome offers latest tech and the first true JLR-Tata product in the market.
Though i'm just an ordinary viewer and an occasional automotive follower i personally think for the price that is expected 16-21 OTR its an opportunity missed for Tata Motors. Looking at the recent Launches and Grand success of Tiago and Nexon (specially when not selling in taxis) they should have launched a New SUV in the Duster/Creta category with VFM factor to be a volume muncher.
Compass/XUV segment is not a volume seller segment hardly 3-4K cars a month on the other hand Duster/Creta/S Cross/New Kicks segment is the more volume seller and a practical upgrade for old manza or safari owners.
I dont look at things by hear say and its my personal opinion but I'm a Tiago owner and really expected this one to be a Segment above the Nexon and organic lineup upgrade.
Still I wish Tata all the best and those who have booked it.

Reported engine cabin noise of Harrier is big downer. TATA has realized how difficult it is to integrate diesel engine to monocoque chassis. Also on-road price starting from 16L. Hundai Creta 1.6 diesel manual is available at 16.5 on road. It is extremely refined Jewel of an engine. Creta has already proven its success. I don't know why someone will gamble 16 big one on Harrier when proven Creta 1.6 diesel is available for little more money

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
I don't know why someone will gamble 16 big one on Harrier when proven Creta 1.6 diesel is available for little more money
Because harrier is a segment above. Bigger engine, bigger body,more goodies.
Creta is 2lakh overpriced. You are actually paying for the brand name +image of hyundai.

Last edited:
Creta is 2lakh overpriced. You are actually paying for the brand name +image of hyundai.
I agree. But my MacBook pro is also over priced. After using it for five years, I have realized, it is worth every penny paid. Tata is yet to understand 'what is hassle free ownership of a car?'

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
I have a Nexon. Its hassle free so far. My neighbour bought new hyundai verna AT 1.6 this festival season .On the 5th day of ownership,he started facing noise issues related to transmission.His car cost him 16 lakhs.It has been in service centre for the past one month.He won't be pleased if you call hyundai hassle free.

Guys let's not deviate from the task at hand, this is not the place for Tata bashing.

Harrier has already steered a storm in the cup, Tata has to price it right from day one, so as not to start offering discounts from the first month itself, like so many others.

Tata has to price it right from day one, so as not to start offering discounts from the first month itself, like so many others.
INHO plonking fiat 2L engine in Harrier is biggest mistake of TATA. That makes Harrier costly. How can smaller Harrier is costlier than Hexa? Hexa is bigger, has more powerful engine, has AUTO option and most important offers 4x4. Harrier has none of this.

INHO plonking fiat 2L engine in Harrier is biggest mistake of TATA. That makes Harrier costly. How can smaller Harrier is costlier than Hexa? Hexa is bigger, has more powerful engine, has AUTO option and most important offers 4x4. Harrier has none of this.
How can you call the 2L Multijet II engine in the Harrier a mistake? Have you TD'ed it?
As far as pricing viz-a-viz Hexa and Harrier is concerned how can you possibly compare a brand new car on a brand new platform, vs a half decade old Hexa which is based on Aria?

Now what's the Power to Weight and Torque to Weight ratio of Harrier and Hexa. With all these goodies, why Hexa is not crossing the 1K mark sales. Pricing is not out yet. AT will come for sure in the near future. What is the sales of Hexa XT 4x4 variant per month.

With the current atmosphere, by the time pricing is announced in January, all the positives of Harrier will be buried and it will be all negativity on Harrier. I'm scared.

Top Bottom