Tata Harrier (H5X): All-New SUV From Tata Motors

While searching for Automatic Gearbox H A R R I E R I found below post.
Link-
Tata Harrier diesel automatic spied for the first time

As per the news from ACI posted in the month of Oct 18 TML indeed testing Autobox for H A R R I E R.
This means maybe TML is actually testing waters before closing the deal for Autobox for H A R R I E R. Fingers Crossed [thumbswink]

View attachment 251771
During the price reveal, they should commit a timeline for this which will put all uncertainties to rest.

I went through multiple reviews and most of them have following opinions:
  • Great road presence, with polarizing front look.
  • Wheels are small with boring alloys. To spice up, Discovery 18 inch are straight fit.
  • Suspension are typical TATA, again one of best in segment.
  • Clutch is light but with long travel.
  • Gears shifts are not butter smooth.
  • NVH is not great at little higher speeds.
  • Visibility issues at A pillars, but rest is good.
  • Touch screen is good but not Hyundai/Ford good.
  • Material is good, premium but not good as Compass.
  • Not able to find 2nd 12V socket (specially in front). Where to put the DashCam power cable?
  • Seats are good. Space is humongous.
  • Boot is well spread out. Might be 425 calculated is under parcel tray.
  • Engine is good, but not as punchy as in Compass. Overtaking on highways should be easy though.
  • Lights are good.
  • Steering is only thing which is not looking premium.
  • USB ports - will always be missing for new passengers.
  • Ingress/egress is easy.
I prebooked it on 3rd week of Nov. Assuming NVH and other little issues are sorted out during final production, only issues I have are no AWD (Auto is not mandatory for me but AWD was nice to have), Sunroof, Auto-dimming IVRM.

After watching all the reviews, Well, the summary is. This is the new gen SAFARI. All the good things about Safari stays, plus improvements on all the negatives.

If TATA set out to make the next gen Safari, this would be it.

My take, the rumored/leaked price tag of 16-21 lacs OTR is perfect for what all it offers, If you want to ride a safe car be ready to pay a bit more (Nexon scored 5 stars in a new crash test ratings, this makes a good case for Harrier as well).

Considering that best selling competitor Creta (indian version) hasn't been tested yet, and that the recently Crash tested Indian version of Hyundai i20 had unstable body structure not sure how safe indian creta is.

Few things that I learnt from an insider or a person close to an insider

# AT will come soon, Most of the people are quoting one year as Tata don't want that people will put their purchase on hold, they want to cash the manual variant as much as they can, simply a marketing trick for now
# AT sales will come from big cities in numbers not small cities and the size of harrier is big, which is not apt for those who look for compact urban utility vehicle like creta, harrier is heavy too
# The detuned of power than compass is due to the electronic turbo and kitna deti hai factor, ask compass users who often claim for bad mileage from the same engine. This was deliberately done to maximize the fuel efficiency and linear power delivery than a turbo lag
# who ask for USP? Drive it and use the modes is wet, rough road etc and then u will see that smile on your face
# few more - xenon head lamps, two screens, powerful 300 plus watt music system, reach and rake steering adjustment, best in class ride and handling combo, long list of safety features and stable body shell
# outstanding interiors + practical cabin, great seats and real 5 seater with loads of space

Yes no sunroof from factory however it will be there in accessory list
There no logical sense for awd or 4*4 due to very low demand

Yes few shortcomings but positives are way more than that, rest its your choice as there are lot of options awAilable in the market, pick as per your need and liking

Edit- some interesting opinion from another forum member:

Jeep compass - Diesel – 173 HP @ 3750 RPM
Tata Harrier - Diesel - 140 HP @ 3750

Now compass and harrier both have peak torque of 350 nm @ 1750-2500 RPM. This is not a deal breaker at all. You do not revv diesel engines upto 3750 rpms at full load to extract the maximum bhp that an engine makes. Diesels ride on torque and tata has not compromised on the torque at all.

Yes the HP curve does matter across the rpms, but we do not have compass vs harrier graphs. Now coming back to the people who are too much worried about the HP figures - you can have a remap to increase both. Further more you can use better fuel with remap and extract more and more.

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Harrier 2WD is good enough for off road – 4WD might not launch

screenshot-www.rushlane.com 2018-12-08 08-36-27-886.jpeg

New Tata Harrier is designed for Indian road conditions. Be it good roads or bad roads or no roads, Tata Harrier is good enough for all terrains; and that too being just 2WD. This is thanks to multiple drive modes and traction control on offer. On top of all this, sales data reveals that there are hardly any buyers for 4WD variant. With 2WD capable enough, there are no plans to launch 4WD Harrier as of now. To highlight the 2WD, Tata Motors has shared a new teaser video in which the Harrier is shown bashing sand dunes.

Read:Tata Harrier 2WD is good enough for off road - 4WD might not launch

I knew it the first time we got the spy pics. I remember pointing out to the rear suspension setup and saying there may not be a 4x4. Despite all the spy pics showing rear twist beam setup, people expected 4x4, just cos the platform was from LR.

Also worth noting, XUV sales is mostly 2wds, so was scorpio and safari. The complexity involved will increase the price of the 4x2 models aswell, and then an extra 1 lakh or so for 4x4.

If TATA really wants to give us a 4x4, they can look at a hybrid system. Electric motors powering the rear wheels with electronic torque vectoring and an hybrid engine which powers the front wheel and charges the battery required to run the electric motor.

Tata motors are looking for sales for this flagship premium launch with its capacity for occassional off roadings, no where near expect this car to get launched with full fledged 4x4 capacity as of now.This is an urban utility vehicle with JLR platform sharing which would be launched soon.There has been praise for this car inside out with what it is offering.Whats left to look out is their pricing offering which is expected between 16L to 21L but i would love to see them offering between 14 to 18L range and take the market with a surprise.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Harrier Petrol SUV in the works

Currently, all the four variants of the Tata Harrier are powered by an only diesel engine and get a manual transmission. The 2.0-litre diesel engine is sourced from Fiat and is the same unit that powers the Jeep Compass in the Indian market.

Tata is now currently working on the petrol version of the Harrier and here are all the details. The use of petrol engine would bring down the cost of the vehicle and will allow Tata to price the Harrier much more competitively.

Read:

Top Bottom