Tata Bolt Review and Test Drive

Now this is something really Astounding. I literally blew my head off.

Mileage for Bolt Quadraject at 29kmpl
Mileage for bolt Revotron 44kmpl

That too on tata bolt facebook page.

View attachment 174097

View attachment 174098
Well How that happen? 44 KMPL its almost equal to my bike mileage!!!
Well BOLT is no doubt a great car TATA has launched. It could have more improved with some small features like

- auto/power folding mirrors
- auto headlamp
- follow me headlamp
- rain sensing wipers
- Puddle Lamp
- some other alloys to suit the BOLT style.

Well what i can think off is the car must have been driven on Pune to Mumbai via express way. After lonavala, the road is downward climb of the khandala ghat and I have my self felt that there is minimal load on the engine and the revs are pretty low for the speed achieved.

I guess the mileage must be tested in these type of conditions.

Everything ticks right with the Bolt -- interiors, space, power, pricing -- but what I couldn't digest is the Indica aftertaste. Why Tata why? It's horn ok tata bye-bye for me.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #21

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Everything ticks right with the Bolt -- but what I couldn't digest is the Indica aftertaste. Why Tata why? It's horn ok tata bye-bye.
Buddy, See we all know a fact that people know of the strengths of Indica/Vista platform by TATA. BOLT has taken cues from Vista but not the 1st gen Indica. Vista was essentially an upgrade of Indica. Vista was bigger and better than Indica. The platform of Vista and Vista as a product were really successful both commercially and privately as well. When BOLT was launched, TATA was planning on introducing their new range of products i.e KITE and KITE sedan so in those new products they have used new platform plus horizon-next technology. But in ZEST and BOLT they have essentially used Horizon-next technology only and carried forward the platform of Indigo CS with tweaks. As of BOLT, its a hatch of ZEST so except for the additional boot in ZEST, essentially both BOLT and ZEST are alike. One thing which is to be understood here is that Horizon-next is a technological upgrade for TATA's line of products in present and future. Horizon Next should not be confused as Vehicle Platform. As of the BOLT's image of Indica, see, as I always say, a product needs to be judged by its own merits and faults. Comparing BOLT to Indica on any grounds is unfair, infact, comparing BOLT to VISTA is also unfair because, apart from Platform, technically BOLT is way ahead of VISTA. Its the apathy I would say that good products loose out in market just because of brand's image. As an individual opinion, Comparing Bolt To Vista or Indica is like comparing Android to Symbian.

Regards

Akash

@Akash That's fair enough. Bolt can't be compared with Vista objectively. It's not that brand image of Tata rubs me wrong. I have driven a friend's Bolt, liked it too. But at the end of the day I wouldn't go for it because of the simple reason that it doesn't appeal to me. Indica is etched firmly in mind and will need effort on my part to shake it off. I never compared the Bolt to Indica wholesale. In fact I mentioned the Bolt's strengths. It's just a personal feeling that might apparently not be in sync with what Tata set out to win from a prospective buyer.

As a owner of Vista VX and a x-Owner of Indica DLS, I can clearly make the difference between these 2 cars. Vista is 200% better product and completely different in all aspects which includes Engine(still more people are not aware of QJD engine in Vista), Handling, Features, Handling, Suspension setup, comfort and what else. The shape may the same. But each and everything is different in Vista, when compare to Indica(Except the badge, INDICA).

I have also driven bolt, It is well refined product with all the Upmarket features and specs.

For TATA,
Hatch means Indica - Indica LS, Indica Vista
SUV means SUMO - Sumo, Sumo Grande and Safari, Safari Strome.
Sedan Means - Indigo, Indigo Manza

But now, it is diverted from its regular naming standard and named the new Hatch as BOLT and Compact Sedan as ZEST.

BTW, I like to call Vista as Vista and Indica as Indica, Which make sense[;)]

Last edited:
A bolt owner's review on twitter.
https://twitter.com/TataBolt/status/639694205384654850
I have been a proud owner of 3 Tata cars till date viz., Tata Indigo GLS 2004 (Jazz Blue), Tata Indica eV2 2011 (Neon Orange) & now the Tata Bolt 2015 (Venetian Red). I have always been very happy with my Tata cars till date and have had no problem with the cars whatsoever, i.e. as a company defective piece etc. Yes if have hurt them then i have had to repair, otherwise never an issue with the cars. Yes the service shop reception has improved over the years. They still need improvement, nevertheless they are on the right track.

I have only been to Pune in him once and was very pleased to get a good mileage from it, would you believe it, 23 kmpl. Then once I wanted to push the car to his limit, and to my surprise i got 25.4 kmpl of which i am very proud! I usually get an average of about 20 kmpl and thanks to him I've been saving a lot.. Just imagine if you could go all the way to Goa without even re-fuelling once.. That's going to be my next challenge.

From the moment I first set eyes on the Bolt and Zest in the Auto Show of 2014, I had decided that my next car would definitely be either of the two. The minute the cars were launched, i test drove both cars. I somehow fell in love with the Bolt more than the Zest. Both cars are incredible. A quantum leap as far as cars being designed, engineered and manufactured! The quality has exponentially improved.

I love my car's features, the same are listed as follows:

1. As soon as u enter the car the spaciousness greets you and your instantly in your comfort zone!
2. The bluetooth immediately connects with your phone and your set for your ride
3. The precise door indicator displaying on your binnacle / instrument cluster readily shows you which door is precisely open so that the same can be attended to.
4. Of course the other indicators such as Distance To Empty / Overall Mileage Indicator / Instantaneous Mileage Indicator / Temperature read out are handy.
5. I truly love the part when the tachometer needle turns red when it hits 4000 rpm! It looks amazing!
6. The handy rain sensing rear wiper is so amazing that i can hardly imagine being in any other car.
7. The amazing music experience thanks to the Harman system.
8. The super efficient touch screen allowing us to interface nicely with all of the cars functionality.
9. The home coming lights! I so love them especially in dark places.. and sometimes to spook some unfriendly characters that may be lurking around my car (devilicious laughs).
10. I love the part when the car honks if it detects that one of the doors has not been shut properly (all doors). The car also honks when you try to open the car with the key... so a good safety feature... Therefore no need to buy a security system.
11. The voice command is truly remarkable as it detects almost exactly what i want it to do. Comes in handy when u need to call somebody.
12. The handy retractable parcel tray below the front co-driver seat
Summing up the above, I most proudly say that I am a BOLT owner... Get Set Bolt!!

Last edited:
true, for some strange reasons dont know why hatch back buyers are shying away from such a wonderful car.

I liked following aspects of the bolt over other features

I truly love the part when the tachometer needle turns red when it hits 4000 rpm! It looks amazing! Premium function.
The handy rain sensing rear wiper is so amazing that i can hardly imagine being in any other car.
The amazing music experience thanks to the Harman system.
Best of all 25 KMPL achieved mileage in real conditions and not ARAI ones. Simply superb. I can only say that lucky few will experience the bolt.

true, for some strange reasons dont know why hatch back buyers are shying away from such a wonderful car.

I liked following aspects of the bolt over other features

Best of all 25 KMPL achieved mileage in real conditions and not ARAI ones. Simply superb. I can only say that lucky few will experience the bolt.
Exactly only a lucky few who didn't judge the book by its cover! We Indians were supposed to be the best bargain hunters who truly give preference for VFM products, but alas we are now in a mode where the higher the price we pay the feel good factor is that much more.

true, for some strange reasons dont know why hatch back buyers are shying away from such a wonderful car...
IMO, Bolt is Arrived on Dead because of it's ridiculous pricing strategy. If you compare, 'Zest' is just 30k extra which gives you more space, more boot and more luxury and more features and the Diesel variant is 90 ps engine. Moreover, for the price of Bolt, one can easily get Swift.

So, If TATA wants the Bolt to survive, they should cut down the Showroom prices and also should provide 90 PS diesel engine and should accommodate same features provided in Zest.

Top Bottom