Tata Altroz (X451) Premium Hatchback Launched

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Altroz: Variants Explained

The car will be sold in both petrol and diesel powertrain options with five variants on offer. With bookings open for the new Tata Altroz for a token amount of ₹ 21,000, here's a look at what each of the variants have to offer.

Available variants: XE, XM, XT, XZ & XZ(O)

Details"

The first review is already out. May not be very extensive but still these are the first opinions about the Altroz we are getting to hear. It is praises here for both the engines, gearbox, ride, dynamics and build. A con I noticed was him mentioning the back seat recline angle being more upright than desirable. Most importantly, he did not mention the petrol engine being underpowered or noisy.

Having gone through all the reviews about Altroz post embargo, what I can summarize is

1. Diesel is more fun to drive than Petrol. Though petrol is not bad but refinement wise petrol burner is bit lacking.
2. Interiors are in the league of the competition
3. Space inside is pretty much with the competition
4. Looks the best in the segment

So pricing will play a very very important role in the success of altroz.

Like the nexon, which was not in hotly competing segment, so many segments first, it is still is not in the top 2 in segment.This car will be in the segment rules by Baleno and i20 and having some great cars like Polo, it is a steep climb.

Doing monthly figures north of 2K would be an achievement for this car. I would say. Pricing will play decisive role in this car.

What i see here, its Main selling unit would be Diesel version.
Adding Automatic Transmission to it, will be icing on the cake.

Safety+ 1.5Ltr Diesel + Auto --> Hit formula

Nexon is already hitting charts on this above. How many cars in India have 4 start Safety rating after all !!

Ground clearance is meager 5 mm ie half centimeter less than i20 Active and Baleno? How much would that be impacting? most of the car Hatches and sedans have GC around the same range. This is definitely not even a mild offroader so I guess for this class of vehicle I. can live with 165mm GC. I am personally a SUV guy so living with 200mm GC ;) which is again 3 cm more than Altroz.
When fully loaded, it's belly will touch many speed breakers especially in Bangalore. May not be a problem on highway.
Manza had a GC of 165 mm and it was one of the best to negotiate speed breakers including those in Karnataka/Bangalore.
Tata cars don't sink with loading unlike i20 and other cars.

See this link for details.
Tata Manza Ownership Experience: Eighth Year

What i see here, its Main selling unit would be Diesel version.
Adding Automatic Transmission to it, will be icing on the cake.

Safety+ 1.5Ltr Diesel + Auto --> Hit formula

Nexon is already hitting charts on this above. How many cars in India have 4 start Safety rating after all !!
Well Nexon is doing decent numbers but safety is still not the main concern for Indian consumer. Bells and whistles and other features take precedence over safety. Else Tata cars would be best sellers across segments.

Today the difference between petrol and diesel is again back to 7/8 rs level, if you are to buy a diesel what options you have, there is only i20. Price difference between altroz and i20 diesel is going to be close to a Lakh. That itself will bring in close to 2k sales, remember even brezza won't be having diesel. All those people who were buying swift baleno and brezza diesel will be forced to choose between altroz i20 and petrol marutis
The petrol altroz having similar performance and mileage of i20 priced against the swift will bring in another 2-3k.
Overall another winner for tata considering the bias against homegrown products.

100% agree. Had it been a maruti it would hv been the chart topper as it has everything better than Baheno(except engine).But being proud owner of tiago and considering the weight of altroz it's petrol engine is also going to be good enough

Altroz - my view of the car, based on what I have read and heard on Internet and social media.
Altroz is based on the ALFA platform meant for Agile, light flexible and advance. Means the platform would support various combination of cars, engines, Transmissions, in the cars, should we expect all of these in one single car, Well no OEM will give it.

So what do we have in Altroz?
A petrol burners with 86HP at 6000 RPM (Maxing out at 6000 rpm), with 113Nm Torque at 3300. And a Diesel one with 90 BHP at 4000 RPM (maxing out at 6000 RPM) with torque of 200NM available from 1250 to 3000 range.

Petrol Altroz:
You have a decent petrol engine with max torque available around the mid range of RPM that would be a decent ride. In my experience with petrol cars, Wagon R for 5 years, Liva for 6 months. I personally never went beyond 4K RPM ever only while stationary I have reved around 5 K in them and saw how the car made the sound. Liva also makes a very loud sound when revd hard. So again I don’t think it will impact any regular driver the so called sluggish Altroz. My fiends have recently purchased automatic i20 elite petrol burner, in Ghat sections where our indigo (1998) used to go without any issues fully loaded, with AC on, the i20 struggles. Need to turn off the AC. Probably the car is new and engine needs to open up (odo reading is 1100) Yet we give benefit of doubt to Hyundai. We have not even drive tested the Altroz and we are already writing off the petrol Altroz. Isn’t that bias? Are we really auto enthusiasts ? Is this the right approach? Yeah probably, Altroz may not be good enough to be running on Budh Circuit but hey who wants to race in altroz. If, the car serves my purpose of daily drive, the car should be good enough.
There is a complaint that 3 pot petrol is not refined or quite, which is true and it cannot compare with 4 cylinder engines. But then we will need to drive it and then conclude.

Diesel Altroz:
A diesel car with 90 BHP and 200nm from 1250 RPM rite uptown 3000 range is a fantastic thing to have. People want 100+ BHP in an altroz because nexons engine is capable of that, well, 90 Horses just serves the purpose. Mind you most of the cars in segment are around or below that mark. For a normal buyer and for occasional enthusiastic driving Diesel will be a good vehicle to drive.

GC 165 it is low:
I have sat in Honda City (GC165) multiple times, we had indigo (1998)(GC165) and there was marked difference between both. City I have seen scraping left right and center, where are indigo fully loaded it was still not scrapping that much. Tatas have stiffer suspension. Same should be case with Altroz, Tata 165 mm GC is much better than Honda or Hyundai 165GC. So no complaints on that end.

Build quality, quality of materials:
These are all subjective, for me if the car is well put, and there is not unnatural caving in of the plastics then I would say materials are good quality. i20 is supposed to be segment standard. Let us see how Altroz fares.

Features:
Altroz is pretty loaded, with all swag, ICE, instrumentation, so there should be no complaints on this area.

Safety:
TAta cars are by far the safest in the country. Nexon, Zest have proved. Also its been said that Altroz is also designed for a 5 star safety, that we have to take it. It will also be proved in NCAP tests that may happen in future. I am sure that this car would be safest in the segment.

Cost:
We expect the car to be priced handsomely by Tata. We want a Ferrari from Tata priced at indica.

We should remove the bias specs and look at the car what it is worth. Before experiencing the car we should not be passing any judgment. I am seeing this in another forum, let us not follow the same.

Less said about the other forum is better, they will praise hyundai 1 litre turbo 3 cylinder but whine about tata's
They will complain about number of airbags but ignore the fact that no one else offers more. Even if tata had offered more airbags it will be too costly a variant which won't have a chance against the competition.
In the lights of recent crash tests it's proved that hyundai is worse than maruti in making a strong car, even if hyundai and maruti fits 10 airbags they won't be as safe as a tata.
Coming to altroz tata should have provided a TV size touch screen on all variants because that's the key feature these days
There are no option to add alloys in the option pack
Alloys add blink to the outside and a TV size screen would do it to the interior, at least the one from harrier would have looked good.
Anyway an introductory price of 4.99 is needed

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Altroz India Launch On 22nd January, 2020

image (9).png

Showcased as 45X concept at 2018 Auto Expo and unveiled in near-production form earlier this year at Geneva Motor Show, Tata Altroz is slated to be launched in India on 22nd January 2020. Official bookings for Altroz have begun.

image (10).png

According to the company, Altroz will redefine the premier hatchback segment with its bold, futuristic design. Altroz boasts of some truly exciting features such as split headlamps, laser-cut creases on body panels, laser-cut alloy wheels, sporty bumpers, piano black ORVMs and dual-tone roof.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Altroz deliveries to begin by mid-February 2020

Tata Motors will announce the pricing for the Altroz premium hatchback early next year. The model was recently offered to the media fraternity for reviewing

While the Altroz is expected to see a market launch in late January, we can confirm that the deliveries to customers will begin only in mid-February 2020. The company started accepting bookings for the Altroz on December 4, 2019, as reported by us earlier, and a quick check with dealers tells us that it’s the petrol-powered model that is gathering more interest.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Altroz showcased at the TSK 25K marathon

ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fcdni.autocarindia.com%2fExtraImages%2f20191215012028_altroz1.jpg

The Tata Altroz was on display and it was also the official lead car for the annual Tata Steel Kolkata 25K marathon held in Kolkata on December 15, 2019. The event comprised a host of long-distance races, ranging from a distance of about 2.3km to the main 25km marathon, including one for senior citizens and one for people with disabilities.

ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fcdni.autocarindia.com%2fExtraImages%2f20191215012032_altroz2.jpg

The Altroz that was the official lead car for the marathon was equipped with a roof-mounted digital stopwatch along with unique liverly. The Altroz' rear section was finished in black and featured the landmarks of the city and the regular branding for the TSK 25K event.

ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fcdni.autocarindia.com%2fExtraImages%2f20191215012011_Altroz3.jpg

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Altroz premium hatchback: 5 features it offers that its rivals don’t

Tata is entering the segment quite late and it is already being ruled by models like Maruti Suzuki Baleno and the Hyundai Elite i20. This is why Tata will offer a range of features that have never been spotted in the segment before. What are these features?

Drive Modes : Just like all other new-generation Tata vehicles like the Nexon and the Harrier, even the Altroz will offer two driving modes – City and Eco.

Albatross Doors

Altroz_2-3.jpg

7.0-inch Digital Instrument cluster

Altroz_3-1.jpg

Rain-sensing wipers

Altroz_4-1.jpg

Key that you can wear

Altroz_5-1.jpg

Read more..

Top Bottom