Taking the Plunge - Buying a 4x4

I know a friend whose dad had an army gypsy, not very reliable. Still,could be a lemon.
Let me guess guy brought from auction right then 100% sure restoration work was not done properly to save some money . If you restore gypsy properly it cost almost 3.9-4.8L . This is reason I brought brand new gypsy .

Subscribed -

BTW which 4*4 have you closed in for ?

Have you considered the Jimny which i believe is being launched soon ? I guess its priced around 7 lac

Thread Starter #23
Thanks for the suggestions guys. For the moment, I'll skip the Gurkha as it's too rare. Dealer support is suspect. Also at the OTR's there are mostly Mahindra's & Gypsies (of course some people also come in Pajero's or Cayenne's), so if something goes wrong there are others to help.

Weekend drive 4x4 , i strongly suggest a gypsy.
a good maintained are available. thanks to petrol price , some of enthusiasts may be selling them.

daily drive in a jeep - book a thar CRDi.

If you have time and patience - restore an 540/gypsy from scratch. 540 make sense!

Peter, from your first post i really feel that you are a great fan of a jeep on its muscular look.
So you are not going for gypsy anyways.
Thar would be good for you, mahindra had kept its macho look on thar.
you have to decide Di or Crde.
I would suggest Crde as it is more powerful and mileage is not an issue as you are not using it for your normal drives.

Me too are a great fan of jeeps and had owned a couple, one willys short chassis with a standard20 diesel engine and the other with a more powerful matador307 engine both 4x4.

Attachments

Thanks for the suggestions guys. For the moment, I'll skip the Gurkha as it's too rare. Dealer support is suspect. Also at the OTR's there are mostly Mahindra's & Gypsies (of course some people also come in Pajero's or Cayenne's), so if something goes wrong there are others to help.
Shame on me to have missed this thread.

So you want to go the FFRA, LSD, OKBJ way. Hmm....why are you even thinking so much? Just go and buy yourself a new Thar DI (CRDe is good too but not recommended as its IFS is not as easily conducive to modifications as the rigid axle of the DI is). All other mods listed by you are easily doable on the CRDe. Both DI and CRDe share the same NGCS chassis.

For approx Rs 5.5 lakhs, you will get a NEW, rugged 4x4 with full spare/service support from the factory and reliability levels that rebuilt MM540s/550s/CJs could only dream of (not impossible to make them reliable but you know what I mean, right?). This vehicle has UNLIMITED mod potential and the best part is that there is no electronic gizmogiri (DI engine). The last generation of pure, classic, simple, rugged, old fashioned off roading at its very mod-friendly best.

Go buy it. In white. All the best!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #28
So you want to go the FFRA, LSD, OKBJ way. Hmm....why are you even thinking so much?
Why not?

Just go and buy yourself a new Thar DI (CRDe is good too but not recommended as its IFS is not as easily conducive to modifications as the rigid axle of the DI is). All other mods listed by you are easily doable on the CRDe. Both DI and CRDe share the same NGCS chassis.
The Di is a strong contender in my list. BTW the Di has been discontinued and replaced by the M2Di.

For approx Rs 5.5 lakhs, you will get a NEW, rugged 4x4 with full spare/service support from the factory and reliability levels that rebuilt MM540s/550s/CJs could only dream of (not impossible to make them reliable but you know what I mean, right?). This vehicle has UNLIMITED mod potential and the best part is that there is no electronic gizmogiri (DI engine). The last generation of pure, classic, simple, rugged, old fashioned off roading at its very mod-friendly best.
My eyes are on a Di which is coming up for sale. BTW the electronic gizmogiri cannot be avoided as the M2Di is a CRDe engine from the base Scorpio and Bolero.

Go buy it. In white. All the best!
The champagne colour looks horrible.

Ha Ha. What I meant was that if you want to do all these mods then the Thar DI is the clear choice.

The Di is a strong contender in my list. BTW the Di has been discontinued and replaced by the M2Di.
Yes sir.

My eyes are on a Di which is coming up for sale. BTW the electronic gizmogiri cannot be avoided as the M2Di is a CRDe engine from the base Scorpio and Bolero.
I still maintain that it'd prove to be simpler to maintain in the long run than the CRDe. Where the CRDe would require a scalpel, the M2Di would do well with a hammer.

The champagne colour looks horrible.
Horrible is an understatement.

Thread Starter #30
Checked out 2 Jeeps yesterday. One was an ex-army MM550. This is the same Jeep which was earlier owned by WhiteMM550 from the other forum. The engine was smooth but the gearbox was bad. Also the battery was discharged, so I'm guessing the battery needs to be changed. Tyres are JK Brutes on 4 wheels and Ceat NDMS on the spare. All the Army extras are missing. Wheels too are not the army spec. The owner said that this is how he bought the Jeep. Bodywork was also not good. A lot of filler and basically a shoddy job. A recent coat of paint has been put on. Will need to be stripped, body worked on and repainted. Tyres too will need replacement. The oil cooler is missing too. Gearbox will need work. Owner said he will also give a Thar style Roll Bar with the Jeep. Owner is expecting nothing less than 2.75L.
Next was a ex-govt MM540. Recently painted. Bodywork was much better. The 4WD was not working. Jeep had 5 new alloys and brand new MRF wanderers. Also the battery was brand new. Engine was not as smooth as the previous one. The broker (my neighbour) says the engine work was done recently. The doors were chopped (like wrangler) and the hood was missing. He had a fabricated Roll Bar too. He also had another MM540 2WD in more or less stock condition. He told me that the bottom requires some tin work. Tyres are cross plies on stock rims. He's quoting 2L for the 4WD and 70K for the 2WD.

Also asked the dealer to send the CRDe & Di along with a Quanto (for my wife) for a TD. She said the CRDe is gone for maintenance and they don't have a Di TD vehicle. She promised to send the Quanto yesterday. Still waiting for it.

Top Bottom