TAIgers Pets Help & Discussions

Re: TAI Member Pet's Help and Discussions!

Dear All

I am surprised to note this thread in our TAI.

I thanked the Almighty to see such wonderful hearts here.

My dog HARRY is no more .This is his story. Please read if you could spare some time.

Thank you.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN
I can see you had a connection with your pet as its expected of civilized people, i am happy you gave him love when he was with you, unfortunately many people just want certain breeds as status & barely pet them or even give them the care they deserve.

I have lost a few pets till date as you have mentioned a dog lives shorter but our most unique dog was a cross breed fellow(guess his pic is somewhere in this thread)called Don, he was the leader of his puppy group guiding all the puppies when we went to pick him & he had a very human like nature, he would be happy to guide anyone around & all the guests just loved his behavior,its been 3 years since we lost but never has any guest who has repeated a visit to us forgotten to ask about him,considering we have other dogs/pets too.Some 3 years back he went missing,we searched for him in all nearby places. We never know what happened to him,but we suspect a leopard got him after some captured ones were relocated near to my place(rumour).

Crazy thing is over all these years we still get dreams about him even my mother said it this week again.They may not live long but their spirits will never leave us!

Friends, fulfilled my wish of owning a fish aquarium.
Thanks Satyaeet for your guidance.
Size 30/12/15 inch.
Complete with oxygen, filter, stones, decoration
Crocodile fish 2
Gold fish small 4
Red cap med. 2
Gold fish big 2
Total 4100
Paid 3900
Week 1 review of my pried fishes.

Have been feeding the fishes once in 24 hrs, 1 teaspoon of the green & red feed mixed. precautions taken during the feed, switch off the filter, as I was told that all the feed would be sucked by the filter.

During the week a friend came, who has been having an aquarium since many years, and he told me to put a very small piece of rock salt in the water, it acts as a medicine for the fish. Also put a few drops of the liquid blue, which acts as a water cleaner and good for fishes.

Today changed half the water with fresh water, cleaned the filter.

This is how the aquarium looks after the 1st service[clap]

DSC_0275.JPG

Week 1 review of my pried fishes.

Have been feeding the fishes once in 24 hrs, 1 teaspoon of the green & red feed mixed. precautions taken during the feed, switch off the filter, as I was told that all the feed would be sucked by the filter.

During the week a friend came, who has been having an aquarium since many years, and he told me to put a very small piece of rock salt in the water, it acts as a medicine for the fish. Also put a few drops of the liquid blue, which acts as a water cleaner and good for fishes.

Today changed half the water with fresh water, cleaned the filter.

This is how the aquarium looks after the 1st service[clap]

View attachment 205557
Acq looks great.

Just a quick tip on the setup, as now its a rainy season (I'am not how badly it rains in your area) the water gets cold so you need to install a water heater. You will get good ones around Rs.500.

To avoid fish food to be sucked by the water filter you need to get the fish food holder(images attached below) which floats on the water surface and when you put the food in it all the fish will gather to grab their share which is fun to watch. Also try variety of fish food like worms, ready made fish food (which looks like small balls). Worms are like BBQ for the fish they love it.

Thanks,
Satyajeet

Attachments

Acq looks great.

Just a quick tip on the setup, as now its a rainy season (I'am not how badly it rains in your area) the water gets cold so you need to install a water heater. You will get good ones around Rs.500.

To avoid fish food to be sucked by the water filter you need to get the fish food holder(images attached below) which floats on the water surface and when you put the food in it all the fish will gather to grab their share which is fun to watch. Also try variety of fish food like worms, ready made fish food (which looks like small balls). Worms are like BBQ for the fish they love it.

Thanks,
Satyajeet
Thanks for the excellent tips Satyajeet, I have still to get the heater, the weather is around 26 to 32 in Kanpur.

Is this food basket available online, please share details if any, I am giving a feed of the red & green small balls, will look out for worms.

Regards.

Vinod

Thanks @satyaeet for your input, bought a heater last month, and adjusted to 28/30*. Air pump tubing got clogged, changed to new ones, with a sponge ball, looks nice.

Bought a pair of sharks.

Planing to buy a puppy, most probably a lab. Any dog breeders from Trivandrum in this group?

Hello members

There are some strays in our society. Recently, one of the oldest dogs gave birth to 5 puppies and passed away few weeks later. Neighbours and their friends stepped in to adopt the puppies as it was Diwali season and crackers, etc. could pose a huge threat to them. I had picked up one of them at that time.

I have named him Jack. He is almost into the 6th week now and is very playful and active. We have potty trained him already and he obeys the usual sit, come and go commands already. I am not sure of the breed. His father (only male dog in the society, so :biggrin:) is a stray dog, very fit and strong-built and his mother was a pomeranian mix. At 5 weeks of age, he has decent hair on its neck but the rear body and tail have very less fur. I actually do not have any problem if he turns out to be a street dog (mongrel?) but need to be sure as people very often ask me about the breed.

This is our first time with a dog in the family and I have a few questions to ask -

1. I need more information on vaccines. What type are needed and what do they help with? A local pet store quoted Rs. 2500 for the first 5 shots and then Rs. 700 every year. He said that it can be done at his shop itself, I was surprised as there were no appratus or special equipment for treatments. He is a breeder and sells pet food and accessories though. Should I go ahead with it or consult some vet? Problem is that Jack isn't used to car journeys and gets restless in car.

2. He is normally very excited and curious but starts growling mildly at times like when picking him up from sleep, putting a collar, etc.. Otherwise he lets you touch/pet him while feeding or even take his food away from him. Is there a chance of aggression problem in future? I don't hit him for his behaviour but lock him in a room for 30 mins or so after scolding him badly. When he comes out, he is again a gentle calm dog and starts licking as if he wants to apologize. This behaviour is very random, happens once in 2 days or so. Also he has the habit of biting/chewing things. Is it normal at this age?

3. Regarding his food, I am giving him cerelar (wheat) and Pedigree puppy food since the beginning. Have added milk (mixed with water) to his diet since last week and occasional yogurt, bread and chapati treats also. Is this okay?

4. Oddly, he doesn't bark or growl much as opposed to his brothers and sisters who started barking since they were 4 week old. I saw him barking at a stranger last night. Is it a problem or due to cool temper of the dog? I wanted him to be a guard dog.

5. I have bohht chew bones but he isn't interested in them. What games/exercises can I play with him except the regular tug-of-war and ball-fetch type of games? At what age should I train him to walk with leash?

Here is a picture of Jack running around the house looking for food. [lol] Sorry I couldn't manage a still picture.

IMG_20161122_112124.JPG

Sorry for the long post. Would appreciate if someone could answer any of my questions.

Regards,
Alpha

Akash1886

Honoured Member

There are some strays in our society. Recently, one of the oldest dogs gave birth to 5 puppies and passed away few weeks later. Neighbours and their friends stepped in to adopt the puppies as it was Diwali season and crackers, etc. could pose a huge threat to them. I had picked up one of them at that time.
Fantastic! Adopting a pet is a very healthy practice!

I have named him Jack. He is almost into the 6th week now and is very playful and active. We have potty trained him already and he obeys the usual sit, come and go commands already. I am not sure of the breed. His father (only male dog in the society) is a stray dog, very fit and strong-built and his mother was a pomeranian mix. At 5 weeks of age, he has decent hair on its neck but the rear body and tail have very less fur. I actually do not have any problem if he turns out to be a street dog (mongrel?) but need to be sure as people very often ask me about the breed.
I would suggest give the pedigree food for puppies too. The fur and digestion along with the immunity shall further improve. As for breed, you may say, its a Pomeranian mix.

This is our first time with a dog in the family and I have a few questions to ask -

1. I need more information on vaccines. What type are needed and what do they help with? A local pet store quoted Rs. 2500 for the first 5 shots and then Rs. 700 every year. He said that it can be done at his shop itself, I was surprised as there were no appratus or special equipment for treatments. He is a breeder and sells pet food and accessories though. Should I go ahead with it or consult some vet? Problem is that Jack isn't used to car journeys and gets restless in car.
Talk to a proper veterinarian for the same. I believe rabbis and some more vaccines are required but that should be done by a authentic source only. Afterall its about a life. For car journey, I would say, tell some lady of the house to come with you when you are taking the pup to the vet. Pups are usually very calm when around and petted by ladies/females.

2. He is normally very excited and curious but starts growling mildly at times like when picking him up from sleep, putting a collar, etc.. Otherwise he lets you touch/pet him while feeding or even take his food away from him. Is there a chance of aggression problem in future? I don't hit him for his behaviour but lock him in a room for 30 mins or so after scolding him badly. When he comes out, he is again a gentle calm dog and starts licking as if he wants to apologize. This behaviour is very random, happens once in 2 days or so. Also he has the habit of biting/chewing things. Is it normal at this age?
Very normal. I have had seven pups and all were strays born under my honda city. Since he is growing up so same teeth growing issues happen which are normal. My pups chewed entire fog light wiring of both my cars[lol]. I believe being too young the energy levels are quite high and it will mellow down gradually so don't you worry. He is just a harmless cute pup. I too still have a Black pup with me of the 7 which were born. Now he is altogether a very protective dog.

3. Regarding his food, I am giving him cerelar (wheat) and Pedigree puppy food since the beginning. Have added milk (mixed with water) to his diet since last week and occasional yogurt, bread and chapati treats also. Is this okay?
Food is ok but avoid too much of sugar and ghee. It causes itch in dogs and ghee is difficult to digest by dogs. Also avoid parle-G biscuits. Occasionally provide him with keema and rice.

4. Oddly, he doesn't bark or growl much as opposed to his brothers and sisters who started barking since they were 4 week old. I saw him barking at a stranger last night. Is it a problem or due to cool temper of the dog? I wanted him to be a guard dog.
Barking at strangers is a inbuilt habit of strays. They even run behind cars and bikes. Just make sure to keep him indoors/inside the gate at night time in these winters.

5. I have bohht chew bones but he isn't interested in them. What games/exercises can I play with him except the regular tug-of-war and ball-fetch type of games? At what age should I train him to walk with leash?
Give him a sponge ball to chew if he isn't liking chew bones. For training him to walk with leash you can begin with it gradually like while taking him for walk in evening or morning. If you have a Frisbee then make him play with it.

Regards,

Akash

Dear All
I am surprised to note this thread in our TAI.
I thanked the Almighty to see such wonderful hearts here.
My dog HARRY is no more .This is his story. Please read if you could spare some time.
View attachment 205099
IF ONLY THEY COULD TALK!
Thank you.
Regards
Dr MUDHAN
Hello Dr. Mudhan,
I am a newbie here on TAI and I too was happy to find a thread for pets and pet lovers. I have read through your blog and empathize with your loss deeply. We too have gone through this pain - more than once. But as James Herriot mentions in his books, the best way to get over the loss is to find a replacement at the earliest. We have followed his advice and are now glad that we did so. With our sincere good wishes, we hope you would give this therapy a chance - and as a vet you would have the best of all worlds to choose from.

We are attaching a few photos of our extended family too! And we hope that you too derive a bit of the joy that they have given us over the years.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member

Dear Sri Shashanka (gearhead2)

Some people have kindness in their minds; others have kindness in their hearts. Some people think about being kind, others talk about being kind. But very few people like you actually do kind deeds.
Thank you Sir for being with me.
Also thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:

Hello Sir, Nice to see you here. I have seen your pet's pics in that other blog. I really love the way you caption those pics. On the pets thread, I always read those captions. Have a great time here Sir.
Regards
Akash
Hello Akash,
It's wonderful hearing from you! I am grateful that you remembered my photos from the other blog. Yes, I had contributed some of these photos to my travelogue thread (Naukuchital - Far from the madding crowd) on that blog. Unfortunately, that chapter is now closed - and retrospectively I feel that perhaps what happens, happens for the best. I have mentioned this in the thread titled 'Which Other Non-Automotive Forums Do You Visit?' in TAI, where I contributed a post recently.

Thank you once again for enjoying the captions. I feel I owe it to our extended canine family for the priceless joy that they have given us - and continue to do so - over the years.[:D]
Yes indeed, I look forward to having a great time here. With folks like you on the forum, I am sure I shall!
Regards,
Shashanka

Dear Sri Shashanka (gearhead2)

Some people have kindness in their minds; others have kindness in their hearts. Some people think about being kind, others talk about being kind. But very few people like you actually do kind deeds.
Thank you Sir for being with me.
Also thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN
Hello Dr MUDHAN,
I am so happy that you enjoyed the pictures. And to be honest, it is not often that I come across dog lovers who are as devoted as you are. It is my firm belief that our world would be a better, happier and more benign place if there were more animal lovers amongst us![:)]
You have our best wishes & we hope that you get over your loss soon.
With best regards,
Shashanka (Gearhead2)

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hello Akash,
It's wonderful hearing from you! I am grateful that you remembered my photos from the other blog. Yes, I had contributed some of these photos to my travelogue thread (Naukuchital - Far from the madding crowd) on that blog.
Absolutely sir! I do remember it.

Unfortunately, that chapter is now closed - and retrospectively I feel that perhaps what happens, happens for the best. I have mentioned this in the thread titled 'Which Other Non-Automotive Forums Do You Visit?' in TAI, where I contributed a post recently.
100% Agreed sir!

Thank you once again for enjoying the captions. I feel I owe it to our extended canine family for the priceless joy that they have given us - and continue to do so - over the years.
Yes indeed, I look forward to having a great time here. With folks like you on the forum, I am sure I shall!
Most Certainly Sir! Looking forward to interacting with you more often. And even I had seven strays with me and at the time of their birth, I named them as "Petro Pups".

Regards,

Akash

Top Bottom