Synthetic Oil or Normal Engine Oil for Dzire Diesel?

Thread Starter #1
synthetic oil or normal oil for dzire diesel

hi team

i checked with service centers at delhi for cost of dzire diesel

the person mentioned I had two options in terms of oil

either go for normal which costs 400 a litre
or go for synthetic which costs 900 a litre

when I asked about synthetic oil and why to use it

he mentioned :-

1. it's a better lubricant than normal
2. which in turn causes less wear and tear
3. has a compound which stabilizes engine heat up and never lets it heat up too much which in turn might start causing wear and tear of engine
4. it therefore gives more life to engine and results in better drive

any technical inputs on this thread might be really helpful '

moderators if you see this topic already open kindly merge in that scenario

Re: synthetic oil or normal oil for dzire diesel

Bhai
As per maruti circular Syntetic oil is compulsory for new dezire. I also uploaded the circular in one of the threads .Cant recollect which thread [surprise]

Thread Starter #3

then normal oil change and filter change service would cost around 5k every 10000kms

the price quoted was for castrol synthetic oils

the engineer also mentioned that with synthetic even if I miss my next cycle by 2000kms am still good since synthetic oil will take care of extra 2000kms run

Bhai
Lets see as per my info diesel filer alone costs-3k + engine oil 4= 7k

Lets wait for DD motors reply

Thread Starter #5

alright we're roping in DD motors for the sales advice
now coming back to synthetic oils I found that most synthetic derived motor oils (ie Mobil 1, Castrol Formula RS etc) are actually derived from mineral oils - they are mostly Polyalphaolifins and these come from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas. PAO oils will mix with normal mineral oils which means you can add synthetic to mineral, or mineral to synthetic without your engine seizing up (although I've heard Mobil 1 is actually made by reformulating ethanol).
These bases are pretty stable, and by stable I mean 'less likely to react adversely with other compounds' because they tend not to contain reactive carbon atoms. Reactive carbon has a tendency to combine with oxygen creating an acid. (As you can imagine, in an oil this would be A Bad Thing.) They also have high viscosity indices and high temperature oxidative stability. Typically a small amount of diester synthetic (a compound containing two ester groups) is added to counteract seal swell too. These diesters act as a detergent and will attack carbon residuals. So think of synthetic oils as custom-built oils. They're designed to do the job efficiently but without any of the excess baggage that can accompany mineral based oils.

I have also mailed maruti. Lets see if they reply.

sorry to be opening an old thread.
So Which one is better Synthetic or Mineral?
when i took my car for the 10K service the SA said that the synthetic oil is good if you have low running (petrol). and even if you miss the service by upto 3k it is ok. If using mineral better change by ~ 7 - 8k. For my old 800, a service person told me to change oil @5k after 50K, so i did that regularly and i got the same FE (28). now with the waggy he said to bring in the car at approx 8k from the oil change.
BTW one doubt, how can we make sure that they are adding Synthetic oil? they could easily cheat us by using mineral and then billing us synthetic?

Top Bottom