Switchback Day Time Running Lamp Turn Indicator LED

Thread Starter #1
I always wanted to install the Day Time Running Lamps (DRL) on my Pajero Sport (Link to Ownership) but resisted the urge as I didn’t want to add the additional LED DRL strips. They would have made the front look like an LED overload as I already had the LED Light Bar.

Finally, the search led me to the Switchback DRL. They are basically DRL and Turn Signal housed in one unit having 10 White LEDs for DRL and 10 Amber LEDs for Turn Signal. This product is applicable only for vehicles with clear type indicator as with the amber lens, the DRL effect would confuse other road users for continuously ON turn signals. It was the simplest method which enabled me to have both the DRL and the Turn Signal in the headlight itself. The product is from a Chinese brand Lightpoint.

Ordered the White (DRL) with Amber (Turn Signal) combination from the available colour combination options (Link). Important point is to ensure the correct socket type of the existing turn indicator bulb or it’s holder. Once the product was received, the installation was pretty straight forward. Only problem was in finding and tapping the right wire after ignition to power the DRL.

The Box
DSC_2808_Small.jpg

The Contents
DSC_2809_Small.jpg

Initial Impressions:
The DRL function is quite good and the white light is pretty bright. The light is accentuated by the fact that the optics meant for the original bulb are also being put to use. The way it automatically switches from White to flashing Amber once the turn-indicator is used or vice-versa is pretty seamless. It automatically switches off the DRL function altogether once the turn-indicator is flashing so that there is no White - Amber switching when using the turn-indicator. The load resistors provided in the circuit of the turn-indicator prevent hyper flash associated with LED bulbs when used for turn indicator and the flash is synchronised with the rest of the bulbs.

Positives:
+ The DRL integration is seamless and feels most original.
+ The quality of the product is good.
+ The bulb itself has aluminium casing to keep the LEDs cool.
+ The light, being LED, is brighter than the original bulb.
+ The Dust seal on the LED bulb seems to be holding nicely for now.

Negatives:
- Long term reliability might be a question.
- Thermal conductive double sided tape could have been provided for mounting the Load Resistors.

Close-up of bulb in DRL mode
DSC_3613_Small.jpg

Close-up of bulb in Turn Signal mode
DSC_3615_Small.jpg

Close-up of front with one side as DRL and other as turn-signal
DSC_3617_Small.jpg

View from 90 Feet with DRL ON
DSC_3622_Small.jpg

Night view close-up of front with DRL ON
DSC04028_Small.jpg

Night view with one side as turn-signal and other as DRL
DSC04031_Small.jpg

Night view close-up of head light in DRL mode
DSC04030_Small.jpg

Night view close-up of head light in turn signal mode
DSC04055_Small.jpg

Overall, I am happy with the results of the product. It’s now even more value for money as the price has dropped by approx. USD 10.00 as 6 months back, I bought this item for approx. USD 38.21

bhvm

Honoured Member
This money well Spent.
The DRL is surely looking OEM like American cars.

Just be careful with those Load resistors, They generate quite a bit of heat and are known to melt through plastic etc. I would try to bypass these Resistors if at all possible.

Thread Starter #3
This money well Spent.
Thanks, this is one product which does not mess with the look and integration is seamless.
Just be careful with those Load resistors, They generate quite a bit of heat and are known to melt through plastic etc. I would try to bypass these Resistors if at all possible.
I have pasted the load resistor on the metal body away from any plastic or wires. Just to make sure how hot it was, I even tested it with the Hazard lamps turned ON for about 5 minutes and temperatures were reasonable.

Bypassing the resistor would result in Hyper-flash similar to what is experienced when the front or rear indicator bulbs fuses. This is because the LED's would consume much less power than the original bulb resulting in the phenomenon.

I bounced on this thread while researching on DRLs for my Fortuner. Since it is around 1.5 years since you installed this product, it will help to know the feedback. Thanks in advance

Thread Starter #5
I bounced on this thread while researching on DRLs for my Fortuner. Since it is around 1.5 years since you installed this product, it will help to know the feedback. Thanks in advance
The product is really good and the DRLs complete the look of the front. However, one of the LED's of DRL conked off almost after an year reducing the brightness. I had to order a replacement which was working fine till I sold the truck.

@A.G, DRLs will on once car started right? there is no way to control DRL other than switching off car. Why to connect ACC line the socket is powered once car starts. These are my basic doubts. Thanks in advance.

Thread Starter #7
@A.G, DRLs will on once car started right? there is no way to control DRL other than switching off car. Why to connect ACC line the socket is powered once car starts. These are my basic doubts. Thanks in advance.
This depends on the wiring of the DRL as the wire for the DRL power is separate. You can connect it through a switch as well.

In my case, I had connected it to a wire in the engine bay through a relay which enabled the DRL to turn-on once the key was turned to ignition position. Relay was for safety to avoid overloading the existing tapped wire and power was drawn directly from battery using fuse.

@A.G, DRLs will on once car started right? there is no way to control DRL other than switching off car.
To control DRL powering up, we can also use a fuse tap and connect to engine bay's fuse box. There must be a less critical part's fuse that we can make use of.

Have you shortlisted the product? I am interested in this upgrade too but was backing off due to heat generated by these LEDs but I may give it a shot anyways.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
I am interested in this upgrade too but was backing off due to heat generated by these LEDs but I may give it a shot anyways.
Didn't find any heat related issues as the head light assembly of the Pajero Sport had to cope-up with more heat from Low Beam projector and High Beam. However, the load matching resistor (which prevents hyper flashing of indicator) in the wire of the indicator bulb should be pasted on metal body surface as it gets hot.

Top Bottom