Swirl Marks in Instrument Panel

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI Members,

Last weekend I asked my apartment guy to clean-up my Vento and being a Sunday he did the interiors too. I don't know what cloth he used but now I notice swirl marks on my instrument panel. The marks are not very deep but when direct sunlight falls on the IP cluster they do shine up and look really bad.

It was a mistake to give my car to that guy. :stupid:[frustration]

So what option do I have now? This material is neither paint nor glass, I believe its some sort of fiberglass. Will some mild and light polish be helpful to remove these swirls? What effect would it have on the material? If it is not very expensive I may even get the entire panel cover replaced - afterall its just a fiberglass cover.

If you can try your hand on clicking some pictures of the swirls, this will help others to suggest something. Well to start with, check the price with dealer.

That is why i never give my car for washing to any watch man or cleaner guy. Just imagine if they do so much damage to just a fibre glass , then what will be the damage to the paint!

I don't know what's the solution for this as i have not faced something like this before. I just use a soft cloth to wipe off the dust that's it. Try using some windshield washer solution to see if it works.

Also another wild idea , waxing hides the swirl marks on the paint , so why don't you try on the panel too!:stupid:

Thread Starter #4
Thanks for all the suggestions guys... I tried clicking some pictures of the 'damage' however as I had mentioned these are very light and almost impossible to capture even with my SLR. You get to see these only when light falls at a certain angle on the panel.

I will try out few tricks in the weekend including waxing (as Dhaya suggested [:)]) and if that does not solve the problem next step is to go to a detailer I guess. Last option is to go to the dealer and get a new one... [cry]

Try getting one of those touch screen guards cut to the size of the display,should reduce the marks being visible during sunlight,as for changing the instrument fiberglass,i dont think they will have stocks of those & will ask you to wait for some days,do let us know if anything works.

Hi RamG,

Try any Dashboard and vinyl polish, such as 3m, turtle,formula1; it may reduce these marks.

This is one question I have not seen anyone asking here. I have a lot of scratches on my Honda Jazz meter console glass. It looks really bad during daytime as the scratches are prominently visible.. Some one pls help me out with this [confused]

A better pic showing the scratches [cry]

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
Re: How To Clean Scratches From Instrument Cluster Glass?

How those scratches occur at first place? Please avoid keeping any items near the console. Meguiar’s have a product called PlastX. I hope it should help.

Drive Safe,
350Z

How those scratches occur at first place? Please avoid keeping any items near the console. Meguiar’s have a product called PlastX. I hope it should help.

Drive Safe,
350Z
It all happened when my dad was wiping of the dust using a wet cloth same with which he washed the car. Usually I am the care taker of the car. But since I was out of the town, he decided to clean the car himself and thats how it all happened. We never keep any things near the console. These scratches are very minute, and not deep.
Where can I get that product PlastX from? Is it easily available in India. I am staying in Kerala.[confused]

350Z

Core Team

Where can I get that product PlastX from? Is it easily available in India. I am staying in Kerala
It might be available on eBay. Autofresh has one for Rs.571. There would be some cheaper solutions too that I hope other members can recommend.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I do face with the same problem. There are lots of scratches on the IP of my Honda Jazz. I dont know what to do with them[cry]

Sorry for digging up this old discussion but i have a question regarding swirl marks,is waxing help to reduce/remove swirl marks?I am using Jopasu duster and jopasu magic wipe for dusting and cleaning of my car but then also i can see swirl marks growing day by day(Though its very very difficult to notice the swirl marks for a non car enthusiastic[;)]) .is it good idea to leave the dust in car rather dusting everyday and washing once in a week?

Top Bottom