Swapping Diesel Engine in a Petrol Engine Car

Thread Starter #1
Hope the topic is self explanatory.

But i need some clear points.

This was in my mind for a very long time.

I like the looks of the lancer so much so do not want to sell for sake of next diesel car. , but not able to do mad trips due to its petrol engine (I accept , price saved on diesel is spend on its maintenance , but my running is higher and petrol prices are too rising steep.)

I can source some engines , may be toyota / nissan / etc from pudupet . Even fiat multijet engine and fiesta engines (the one which i am intrested) are available , but i hope i cant get bills for these.

I am not sure about the procedure , but things you need is

1.initial form submission before the change
2. furnish all document regarding the engine and its bill etc
3.Finally drive them to rto on our car and get them endorsed!

though these rules seems simple its s tiring job.

accept we have agents and middle men inbetween and job can be done.

what about sourcing engines from pudupet like market , where we dont get proper bill , as when they give a bill they are answerable for the source of the bill at any point of time, some say we can get bill from insurance , (but that engines may have some vital parts missing and we need to buy them as spare)

I am yet to ask this things to the people here in rto and others , but this is just in my initial stage of converting(just a plan)

If yes there is a clear procedure with minimal cost , could some one explain? (easier one , leave at mistubishi and they will do a to z for you.)

I am interested in fixing a fiesta or fiat multijet rather than Toyota etc , else a lancer diesel engine itself if available!!

I thought your Lancer was only going to be a demo car!!

I don know much about this but one of my friend is into this , he is also planning to change the engine in his Contessa. If you need help , i will give you his number.

Thread Starter #3
Yep , i need some TN people help . coz my car is tn reg one .

Has he changed the contessa engine. Hope in a contessa a izuzu engine must be ok , and cost about 6 to 7K max

Thread Starter #4
Any one here to help this!?,practically i know a esteem running on toyota 1n , but i have lost the contact of them also they sold the esteem some 4 years back.

ilango,
this is very interesting , as i am too trying to learn about such things for some serious diy on automobile.
but it is india so one will have very tough time, 95 percent of people will raise thier eyebrows saying for all those money and labour spent you can buy a new car and such.

imo:-one option and easy one is , the isuzu 1.8litre with turbo which runs in ambassador . a full rework which may include a larger turbo ,may fetch 150bhp from diesal burnt .

ilango your lancer looks incredible,
what do think about those headlamps can you make them the xenon type with focus lense?

Thread Starter #6
ilango,
this is very interesting , as i am too trying to learn about such things for some serious diy on automobile.
but it is india so one will have very tough time, 95 percent of people will raise thier eyebrows saying for all those money and labour spent you can buy a new car and such.

imo:-one option and easy one is , the isuzu 1.8litre with turbo which runs in ambassador . a full rework which may include a larger turbo ,may fetch 150bhp from diesal burnt .

ilango your lancer looks incredible,
what do think about those headlamps can you make them the xenon type with focus lense?

Yeah , amby engines are in my option , even a hm+ engine is considered. isuzu engine is one good performer though.
basically i am looking for a engine with is run on mechanical pump and not on crdi/dicor or what ever term that is mentioned. I do not want a ecm etc .

So engines in mind are
lancer diesel
ikon 1.8
isuzu
toyota 1n
nissan
etc

Toyota engines were available so easily some 6 to 7 years back , but now its bit difficult.
i can source a engine from pudupet in chennai (may be accident/stolen), but how to get that register in RTO. What to say , when he ask , how you got the engine.
How to procure engine from insurance company?
i hope engines bought from insurance company has hassel free endorsement in RTO

and jayadev , thanks for the compliment.
Zenon type projector lens will look good in clear lens head lamp , like in type 2 lancer , and i have posted such mod in i-cars thread.
Good projector with 3 inch lens , proper hid cost arounf 14000/- and twin head lamp model light cost 15000/- while for a swift the projector model cost the same.
They are in list later on

Last edited:
Re: Petrol Engine to Diesel Engine Swap

ilango sold that lancer and got a diesel accent I think . But will be interesting to know if he come close to swap atleast but it is not possible I think.

Hypothetical question:
What diesel engine would fit in a Santro? Petrol to Diesel conversion is no longer permitted by RTO, so you cannot do it. I have seen Maruti 800's converted with Daihatsu engines in the past.

Thread Starter #13

ilango: Any progress with Petrol to Diesel Engine swap on your Lancer?
Lancer sold , and presently i have a sierra and loving it too much , forget the pick as in my other cars. Still it charms me. and hope to keep this sierra for long time.

Avoid a diesel engine for a santro. Not advisable.
the suspension , chassis etc are not so strong.

ilango[speed thirst];110175 said:
Avoid a diesel engine for a santro. Not advisable.
the suspension , chassis etc are not so strong.
You probably missed this.
Hypothetical question:
What diesel engine would fit in a Santro?
I'm not planning to do this conversion. But then people have done these conversions for the Maruti 800. Is the 800 suspension stronger than the Santro?

Thread Starter #15

You probably missed this.

I'm not planning to do this conversion. But then people have done these conversions for the Maruti 800. Is the 800 suspension stronger than the Santro?
You may have seen 800 with diesel engine.

have you see their cries!
i have seen 2 cases and heard lot of them.

And 800 suspension is kind of tough than a soft suspension of santro and spares that are affected by the weight is cheaper in 800.

say a lower arm cost 350/- for 800 , where as 1400/- for a santro.

and its not advisable to fix diesel engine in 800 too!!

lancer / fiesta / opel astra like car go well with diesel swap!

hmm add amby to that list !

Top Bottom