Suzuki Shogun Build Off

Thread Starter #1
For years I have been using some or other bike of Yamaha. After selling off most of them I was looking for a 5 speed 135 with a promise to myself that I wont be selling it off. Spares were not a issue as i have a huge inventory of genuine Yamaha spares bought at lump-sum from 2 dealers who shut shop. So i was looking for something which would come cheap. All the time one bike which i dearly missed was the shogun. Which checking out for the 5 speed with a friend whom i sold my 5Speed RX Z he mentioned that he wants to sell off his shogun. Within next 2 minutes we stuck a deal and i traveled to his place in malad came home with a 95 model shogun.

Though externally it was in mess It was still in a decent condition for me considering the fact that I don't want to buy anything new, just refurbish the existing parts. All the parts were stock, working speedo/ RPM. The bike lacked compression so it use to run like samurai. The indicators and and mirrors were of a different bike . Brand new Michelin M45 and the classic Nylogrip, new wiring harness battery. Powder coating on all the parts had worn off. Lots of vibrations. Most importantly it was street legal. its tough to find a 15+years old bike with paid green tax, renewed registration and active insurance. Normally this gets passed on to a new owner. All this paperwork is worth 5k. I normally ride my 2 strokes within my locality and nearby places and always had a mindset that you can do so much with the bike if you are OK with staying a little backward to avoid the traffic police or willing to pay 100 Rs

decided to go for a complete make-over on a extremely tight budget of 12k. I had to pay for the bike in 2 installments.

All this was around first week of June, After stripping the bike I took all the parts to my dads workshop. those which needed powder coat had to be cleaned. shifted most of the parts to my residence so that I can work late night. Bought a paint remover which in matter of minutes melts the paint and you can expose the bare metal with a grinder & scrapper.

Since I know the guys who do powder coating, plating and sand blasting around our workshop my costs were always down. Scrapped off all the paint with 80grit. Treated it with HCl to kill the rust,sandblasted and gave it for sandblasting. I opted for hardened allen key bolts/screws. This sounds simple but actually needs sorting of the everything by size and create of list of how much you need. On a average the entire set would cost about 250 Rs.
The next step was keep the painting costs low by reducing the labor work of the painter. Tank panels fairing mudguards were to be given to painter. sanding was painful task first with 150 then 600 grit. applied primer from spray can to find the dents, crevice. Leveled them with polyester putty and gave it to painter.

some parts which needed black paint was done in-house, again sanding priming and Matt black paint from spray can. Did the front & rear shocks, rear mudguard and few other things.

Funny part was the painting. First coat of paint made me realize it cannot be done in your kitchen. So use to sneak out near the stair case, apply a coat in 30 secs keep the part to dry on stair case and come back. All of this work was carried out from 11.30 pm to 2.30 am everyday for almost a week. Sanding to perfection does take time and there's no shortcut.

Bought 200 gms of blaze blaze blue shade & 150 gms off PPG clear coat from DUPONT dealer and gave it to painter.

In the mean time after leaving the office in andheri at 5 pm I use to utilize the next 2-3 hours going as far as panvel, grant road Vashi for parts.

I would update this thread in another post which would have the paint job & stickers.

Attachments

Re: shogun buildoff

Great work buddy Shogun was one of my favourite bike, in fact i learnt my riding in shogun itself so i have a special feeling toward's this 2 stroke bike, restoring such bike can be a hideous and time consuming job you need to have lot's of patience but trust me at the end of it all it will be worth it.

Thread Starter #7
Is the build off complete?
the build is still in progress. Mechanic underwent a eye operation as some splinters from a valve got stuck in his eye while taking off a bearing from CBZ. Work have come to a standstill since last 45 days. just waiting for the assembly to start. rest all things have been done.

Thread Starter #8
here is the update. got all panels, tank, mudguard painted. Bought the sticker set for Shogun. I was not very keen on having a stock look. Since i was already painting the bike in blue (ritz blue) thought of going for blue and golden combination for the sticker set. Scanned the entire set and converted into vector form so that it be cut on a plotter. let the pictures say it all. Working with radium was tough. Believe me its not as simple as it looks.
Also procured a original ART piston. Had a spare MPA half face helmet, again primed it and put stickers to match with shogun graphics.

Attachments

Appreciate your efforts buddy. Feeling a bit nostalgic after reading your thread. The sound of shogun is still ringing in my ears. Waiting for more updates. [:)]

Thread Starter #11
Pretty well cut stickers. Where'd you get the original ART piston in this day and age?
there is this guy in Vashi who has a good setup with CNS machines for Bore/ sleeve, port jobs. He normally stocks ART & TopPro pistons. This Art piston was from SUZUKI RU115 sold in thailand. It was a fit for shogun.

Straight fit? Or did you have to do some amount of reboring? I just hope this piston does not turn out to be too 'tight' for the stock Shogun bore.

Please keep the thread updated.

p.s.: In the pictures, the LHS side panel has the word 'Shogun' written in blue, but one can see another sticker (probably the RHS side panel sticker) having 'Shogun' written in red colour. I hope I am not assuming things!

@Max

Your work and effort is really impressive man keep it up !!

This was the bike it took my heart some years back [:)] I drove a only bike 110kmph is Shogun is truly a BOSS. Eager to see your Shogun in action very soon !!

I will make it a point to visit you whenever I visit Mumbai next to see your Suzuki beaty.

Thread Starter #14
Straight fit? Or did you have to do some amount of reboring? I just hope this piston does not turn out to be too 'tight' for the stock Shogun bore.

Please keep the thread updated.

p.s.: In the pictures, the LHS side panel has the word 'Shogun' written in blue, but one can see another sticker (probably the RHS side panel sticker) having 'Shogun' written in red colour. I hope I am not assuming things!
it was a straight fit after the rebore job and there is adequate clearance for good movement without loss of compression.
Sharp observation over the sticker color. Initial plan was to have the red color shogun sticker but later on decided to use multiple shades of blue. Now its blue on both sides.

Rebores are never accurate as most of these are done on worn out machines that have been purchased after they have been scrapped by manufacturers. I just hope your rebore turns out to be good but I know in my heart that it will never be a match for the original 'BOSS' performance. Still, let's see.

If I remember correctly, the Shogun side panels had "High Sprint Gear" written under the word 'Shogun'. Please get it done.

Top Bottom