Suzuki Baleno RS Boosterjet: Racing Smartly

Thread Starter #2

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

This Baleno RS drive review shall focus mainly on the performance of the new boosterjet engine provided to the Baleno and the associated performance criteria of the car. This car has been cosmetically updated too which shall be written about in the following posts. With the introduction of the new Baleno RS, Maruti Suzuki India, through it's network of NEXA showrooms will be selling 3 variants of Baleno hatchback. They are 1.0 L Boosterjet Petrol, 1.2 L Petrol and 1.3 L Diesel.

For a detailed review of the 1.2 L Petrol Engine Baleno and the 1.3 L Diesel engine Baleno Hatchback, please feel free to go through our detailed review thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...petrol-1-2-mt-diesel-1-3-mt-drive-review.html

20151029_121821.jpg

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Maruti Suzuki India & Limited Edition Mania

Doc1.png

Maruti Suzuki India and Limited Editions go hand in hand. In the entire automotive sector of India, I don't think there is any other car brand which has got such an extensive line-up of limited editions of their models as Maruti Suzuki. Their entire line up of cars have received numerous limited editions. However, these limited editions seldom did any value additions to the cars as such. The second thing which Maruti Suzuki did was addition and deletion of features from one or the other variant. Last thing, The "RS" editions. Be it Swift or CIAZ, both of them had this 'variant' which boasted of a body kit & a rear emblem and nothing else. Thankfully, CIAZ's body kit was still not an eyesore as much as the Blue body-kit of the Swift. Practical Value addition of these show-off accessories Zero. Dent on the buyer's pocket still there. I have never understood the whole reason of rolling out such editions. A decade earlier, Maruti Suzuki had some the legends in it's line up like the Maruti Zen, Maruti Esteem, Baleno Sedan et al and these were the cars which even without the tacky sticker jobs, pathetic chrome on body, commanded immense respect among the buyers and enthusiasts alike. It was cars like the ones mentioned here which made people trust Maruti Suzuki. However, now, for a person like me who was associated as customer for more than a decade with Maruti Suzuki, there is nothing left to buy and justify my expense on a Maruti Suzuki vehicle. Whenever I used to see a limited edition being rolled out from MSIL, I always wanted to know if there was anything worth or useful being provided to the buyers. Sadly, never, I came across something potent in these limited editions and ultimately, I began to loose the count of limited editions being introduced per model by Maruti Suzuki. On every festival, or, every 8-10 month interval, some or the other limited edition version of their model use to roll out. Yet, In India, we all have different set of tastes and requirements. Maybe, what I don't like, its not necessary that others might dislike that too. So, even these chrome and sticker loaded limited editions found their set of buyers.

Thread Starter #4

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Suzuki Baleno RS Boosterjet Exteriors

20170401_141045.jpg

It is actually not very difficult to differentiate a Baleno RS Hatchback from a regular Baleno Hatchback. Even though both types of Baleno i.e RS and Non-RS are being sold under one roof still even from a distance the difference is visible. First Up, the exterior changes done to the Baleno RS are revised front grill, additional side skirts and revised front and rear bumpers. However, both RS and non-RS Baleno(s) are offered in same 7 body-colors.

1) Revised Front Grill: The revised front grill still boasts of a chrome stripe like non-RS variant but the RS variant does not get a Black radiator grill with slightly bigger vents, instead, the new one gets a Gray color radiator grill with Suzuki emblem in center. The air-vents provided to the grill are slightly smaller and oval in size and shape. This lends a sleek look to the car. Still, from a distance specially in daytime, many might confuse the new grill to be of chrome.

20170401_141109.jpg

2) Revised Front Bumper: The Front Bumper has been re-designed keeping in mind the sporty character of the Baleno RS. The front bumper sports a redesigned fog lamp console, a single slate wider air-dam from which the inter-cooler also is visible and a new front spoiler which is fixed under the front bumper. To give a slightly contrasting look, the entire body kit in the Baleno RS sports a sleek gun-metal color finish.

20170401_141104.jpg

3) Side Profile of Baleno RS: The side profile of the Baleno RS remains identical to the non-RS Baleno and the only visible change are the dark Gray Alloys and the gun-metal finish side skirts.

20170401_141023.jpg

4) Rear Profile of Baleno RS: The rear profile has some identical carry-overs from non-RS Baleno like body colored roof spoiler and the chrome mustache but it also boasts of a redesigned rear bumper and a "RS" emblem on the hatch-door. Unlike the Non-RS model, the new Baleno RS gets redesigned rear reflector consoles on both corners of the bumper. The shape of the reflector still remains rectangular but Maruti Suzuki has used Black plastic with honey comb like design. Apart from this, there is a rear diffuser added to the bumper which further enhances the appeal of the car and with all these changes made, the number plate housing also has been tweaked a bit in comparison to the non-RS model of Baleno.

20170401_141125.jpg

20170401_141029.jpg

Thread Starter #6

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Performance of Suzuki Baleno RS Booster-jet

The Baleno hatchback by MSIL has been introduced earlier with 2 engine options i.e 1.2 L Petrol and 1.3 L Diesel. Both these engines are mated to a 5 speed Manual Transmission and come with a option of CVT in petrol. The major difference in regular Baleno hatchback and Baleno RS Hatchback is the new Boosterjet 1.0 L, 3 Cylinder engine which is mated to a 5 Speed Manual transmission and makes 75Kw of Power and 150 Nm of Torque and comes encased in a proper engine cover. Even though its a smaller unit still the engine bay is well spaced out as well. Also, this 1.0 L engine even though its a 3 cylinder one gets more torque and power than the regular 1.2 L Petrol engine. In terms of the competition, even though it has more torque and power, the engine did not give that excitement and adrenaline rush as one would get when driving a Polo or the Abarth Punto. Though Maruti Suzuki has made an attempt to capture the buyers of the performance hatchback segment but their product isn't matching up to the expected levels. With 5 people on-board with AC on, this 1.0 L engine struggles to perform. Even though its a race track oriented product still in reality this engine is far from exciting. The increase in Torque and Power don't really show up in the high intensity drive and fast acceleration. As its a 3 cylinder engine, driving it is not even as good as it's 1.2 L petrol counterpart in regular Baleno. As I cranked the engine, a faint clatter was there indicating the characteristic 3 cylinder mill and upon accelerating and driving at speeds of 80-90 km/h on DND Flyway, with moderate traffic, a slight vibration was felt too by me as well as by my driver too. Coming to the NVH front, in its own right, the boosterjet engine is above average in terms of NVH and definitely below the 1.2 L Petrol engine even though there is a under-hood carpeting provided to the new engine. Now, coming to normal speed driving i.e between 60-70 km/h; In this band of speed, the 1.0 L engine performed fair as I could easily drive around without any feeling of lag from the engine and felt the power delivery to be linear. Let me be honest here, this engine is not for the enthusiasts. However, this can be a slightly sportier alternative for the buyers who want a simple fill it shut it type engines. In terms of the FE, in my mixed driving pattern, I could get only 9.6 Km/L. So don't go keeping too high hopes to check this car out. About the refinement levels, in normal speed it is acceptable and speaking of the mid-range torque, Baleno RS did not disappoint me in this respect. I like to drive in 60-90 km/h speed range so just to check how agile it is in terms of overtaking, I drove it between 65-75 with 2nd gear and that awesome mid range pull left me with a happy face for once. I remember a guy giving me a thumbs up gesture on the DND [lol]. In my driving, the car touched the RPM of 4000-4500 but the engine as its a 3 cylinder gets noisy beyond 4500 mark. In terms of the clutch, I didn't feel any difference between that of a regular Baleno and this one. The gear shifts are smooth and easy. About the steering feedback if I may speak, I could very well feel the agility and responsiveness in the power-steering as it felt really easy to maneuver and turn on sharp turns similar to what the 1.2 L Baleno did. Initially the steering is bit light but after attaining a speed of 70-80 km/h the steering response was quite good and it weighed up nicely. It completely makes the car stay in good control however, on sharp turns, in the Games Village area, the body roll was still evident. In terms of suspension, from the regular 1.2 L Petrol one, the RS is just a notch better as the people in rear seat did not complain much on the bumpiness so I believe it has been worked on. The Tyres are 195 Section with R16 rim size and to me felt adequate on this car but I am not a fan of Apollo Tyres as they aren't really reliable in long term as I have used them in my previous car as well so I suggest something like a CEAT or Bridgestone will be a better option. Coming to the brakes, the RS Baleno gets, front and rear disc brakes which further enhances the braking. The brakes are very responsive and the car came to a halt in real time and the bite point of the brake is good too. So all in all, having its merits on one side, the Baleno RS has still a lot to do if compared to the veterans like Polo and Punto Abarth. Neither it offers that sort of excitement nor has that type of built quality. It is just like sporty family mover and compared to Punto and Polo, one thing that works in favor of Baleno RS is the after-sales help and ASC Network.

Untitled.png

20170401_141341.jpg

20170401_141416.jpg

20170401_141144.jpg

20170401_140533.jpg

Last edited:
Great Review Sirji [clap]

Akash Sirji, don't get me wrong, but I think you were not satisfied with the 1.0 Boosterjet Baleno w.r.t price (premium over 1.2L) and performance.

By paying a bit more, one can settle for Polo GT TSi, which I think is better package and not to forget it great build quality, though reliability is scary.

Thread Starter #10

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Akash Sirji, don't get me wrong, but I think you were not satisfied with the 1.0 Boosterjet Baleno w.r.t price (premium over 1.2L) and performance.
Of-course I am not liking the price which totally absurd and yes, the performance too isn't exciting as the competitors.

By paying a bit more, one can settle for Polo GT TSi, which I think is better package and not to forget it great build quality, though reliability is scary.
Anyday better than the RS Baleno.

Regards

Akash

I am a bit intrigued by the Baleno RS product, as I am with the Figo DCT. Both these cars offer decent performance promise on paper, but yet on road, it somehow doesnt translate so. While (honestly speaking) I did not drive the RS long enough to conclude comprehensively, the linear response was evident from the low revs. Similarly, the Figo DCT seemed confused as a transmission, and did not exploit the engine potential especially on fast city roads. In contrast, something like an Etios Cross 1.5 petrol was far more engaging to drive , even though it wasnt as free revving at the top-end. Toyota have really under-utilized the potential of that engine in a bland-ish product (albeit well built and NCAP-certified).

Last edited:
I am a bit intrigued by the Baleno RS product, as I am with the Figo DCT. Both these cars offer decent performance promise on paper, but yet on road, it somehow doesnt translate so. While (honestly speaking) I did not drive the RS long enough to conclude comprehensively, the linear response was evident from the low revs. Similarly, the Figo DCT seemed confused as a transmission, and did not exploit the engine potential especially on fast city roads. In contrast, something like an Etios Cross 1.5 petrol was far more engaging to drive , even though it wasnt as free revving at the top-end. Toyota have really under-utilized the potential of that engine in a bland-ish product (albeit well built and NCAP-certified).
In had TD EcoSport DCT, and was left unsatisfied.
To me engine seemed noisy for a petrol, and that slow DCT (Hexa TC left much better w.r.t. GB). Don't exactly know whether the TD vehicle was faulty, but a 4 year old, 20,000 km vehicle having issues is unexpected.

Hey,

I bought RS in Silver color 3 weeks back. and i must say i am 90% satisfied with it.
True, it doesn't jump off to red line like polo GT but in my opinion thats in favor of Baleno RS, it feels like 1.5 ltr engine to drive not like an engine with turbo chargers.

City driving is fantastic, only drawback is visibility is little less so you need to be a good driver. i was struggling on the delivery day to park my car back home ;).
Getting mileage of 16.8 on daily commute to office (mix of city + highway) .

only issue i feel is car's nose is a bit heavy and suspension should have been beefed up more for that.

those who think 1.5L is not worth over regular 1.2 Baleno, please drive both back to back. :)

Overdrives test drive and conclusions on Baleno Rs Vs Polo GT TSI,

The Polo GT TSI has a bigger capacity 1197cc four-cylinder engine which produces 105PS and 175Nm of torque. While this is slightly more than the Baleno, the Polo weighs 159 kgs more and due to this the Baleno has a far better power to weight ratio.

The wheelbase (2520 mm) of the Baleno is much longer than that of the Polo (2469). In fact it’s 51 mm more while the difference in overall length between both cars is just 24 mm!
The longer wheelbase also gives the Baleno better stability. Given all this, the Baleno RS certainly scores over the Polo GT TSI in practicality, space and comfort.

The Baleno RS takes 9.7 seconds to get to 100, which is quite impressive.
The Polo GT TSI, despite the fact that the DSG gearbox does not allow you to properly launch the Polo GT TSI, it takes 10.2 seconds to get to 100.
Our choice would be the Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS. It is more spacious, offers more features and can seat three on the rear seat. The Polo GT TSI is not only not as spacious, but due to its higher transmission tunnel, only two persons can sit in comfort on the rear seat.

Link

Overdrives test drive and conclusions on Baleno Rs Vs Polo GT TSI,

The Polo GT TSI has a bigger capacity 1197cc four-cylinder engine which produces 105PS and 175Nm of torque. While this is slightly more than the Baleno, the Polo weighs 159 kgs more and due to this the Baleno has a far better power to weight ratio.

The wheelbase (2520 mm) of the Baleno is much longer than that of the Polo (2469). In fact it’s 51 mm more while the difference in overall length between both cars is just 24 mm!
The longer wheelbase also gives the Baleno better stability. Given all this, the Baleno RS certainly scores over the Polo GT TSI in practicality, space and comfort.

Our choice would be the Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS. It is more spacious, offers more features and can seat three on the rear seat. The Polo GT TSI is not only not as spacious, but due to its higher transmission tunnel, only two persons can sit in comfort on the rear seat.

Link
Not convincing.

Am I the only person who disagree with their verdict?

Top Bottom