Surprise! Isuzu MU7 and D-Max Debuts in India

@ Iron Rock: Time to retire your Sumo it seems.
This wasnt in my list to even consider as a replacement to be honest but since you mentioned some questions popped in my head :-

• As its not a twin cab version how can it be a personal car - it can carry a payload yes but not passengers in this mode - so wont put it in personal segment at all. Its all about cargo(unless there is a twin cab version).
  • Kitna deti hai ?
  • How does it compare to the Bolero in FE and payload aspects, Bolero is the emperor here(king would be an understatement).
  • How does it deal with the payload in ghats ?
  • Is there a 4x4 option ?
  • What is Isuzu value proposition and differentiators compared to our desi offerings for anyone to pay extra ? - this is an economy conscious segment not a lifestyle segment mind you.

Last edited:
@ Iron Rock: Time to retire your Sumo it seems.
Not against anything on Sumo, but I can confirm and authenticate that this Isuzu pick up will be just perfect for his needs, he will enjoy using it[:)]

Ok, I will answer to IR here in my best capacity

1. twin cab is available need to find out the details when those people come to me today
2. Sorry I forget to mention this important aspect, in my calculation it has given 15kmpl
3. I have personally used Bolero camper for six months extensively in Gujrath,Punjab. It was really excellent in every aspect and I can tell you Isuzu is par with that load aspect and with excellent pulling power and super refined engine than Bolero
4. Sorry I did not get a chance to drive it on ghats
5. Will find out about 4x4 today

Last edited:
Thank you sir, will also look to hear your views on point 6.
I am already convinced the Isuzu heart will be better than Bolero, there is a good reason why mercenaries world wide prefer Isuzu,Toyotas and Nissans ! Big question is point 6 above the value proposition for the additional moolah compared to our desi giants.

@IR

I had a detailed discussion and interviewed by Isuzu people today while taking back their vehicle. so the discussion follows

1. Yes twin cabin is available
2. 4x4 may get launched
3. single cabin costs 7.3 L OTR Hyderabad, Twin cabin costs 9.3L OTR. This is the answer for your point number 6 which is no way comparible to Mahindra bolera and TATA 207. This is where we had the discussion as the kind of purpose it serves and the price are not matching and it is difficult to market the product with this price. Mahindra camper serves the purpose in every manner and comes with twin cabin, proven, rugged vehicle.

When I have asked who bought this model, then few of real estate guys, then that would be a different story the way they get revenues and they spend too. So clearly it fails in value proposition front with our Desi work horses.

@Gurrala74: Please comment on the price part of it. Now that you have TD'd it, do you think its worth the asking price; more so when you describe it to be like a premium car?

@Iron Rock: Sir, I like your 'no feelings, only data' approach.

@Sam,

No the price part is not matching what it offers and also the asking price doesn't work in our markets. Though it is an excellent vehicle, I expect it should not cross 5.5L OTR[:)] Yes premium car will have 4 comfortable seats and a closed boot too[lol] I have just compared its cabin with a premium car

Thank you sir, I cant agree more with you, i hope they revert on the official td for MU7 too.
Regarding value proposition they will need to work harder, lifestyle buyers will be far and few!

@IR

We had a discussion about forum and also on the MU7 official TD part and hope they will contact you soon for the same.

Can I know that on which you said that " you can't agree with me"

:offtopic:
Glad to see both of you finally agreeing on something.

@Gurrala74: Thats indeed nice of you to have organised a TD of the MU7 for our Moderators. Any plans to join them on the TD?

I hope you can't agree more with me on this[;)].

Hahahaha, I do not want to continue on OT here, but I disagree many times to learn and agree in the end, so it may be IR or any other member and this is how I learn things[:)]

Who knows, I have a trip scheduled to Mumbai and Pune and if it happens that Isuzu send their vehicle to Pune in same dates then may be I will learn how a official TD is done

That'd be great. Eagerly awaiting your joint TD. I hope Iron Rock will be a sport.

Back to the topic: How is the laden vs unladen ride quality in the DMax? Is there a huge difference?

350Z

Core Team
Isuzu has signed an agreement with Hindustan Motors to assemble its UVs at their plant in Chennai. The components will be shipped from Thailand.

HM-Isuzu - photo 2.jpg

Mr. Takashi Kikuchi, President, Isuzu Motors India Private Limited, said, “We are very confident about the growth prospects of the SUV and LCV market in India, notwithstanding the current slowdown. We are also very happy with the positive feedback of the market to our MU7 SUV and DMAX pickup truck, which we launched in Coimbatore and Hyderabad in March this year by importing these as CBUs from Thailand. We would now like to accelerate and carry forward this positive momentum and expand our sales operations in other parts of India, starting with the Southern region. The collaboration with Hindustan Motors will support us by carrying out assembly of our products at Thiruvallur which is about 70 kms from Sri City, Andhra Pradesh, where our own local manufacturing facility is planned to come up. We can thereby advance the scope of our sales operations and increase the scale of supply volumes without waiting for our local manufacturing facility to be ready.

“Hindustan Motors Limited and Isuzu Motors have enjoyed good historical relationship, and know each other as business partners very well. The Thiruvallur facility is one of the best automotive manufacturing facilities in India, and can meet the high quality standards of Isuzu Motors,” Mr Kikuchi added. Commenting on the development, Mr. Uttam Bose, Managing Director & CEO, Hindustan Motors Ltd., flagship of the C K Birla Group, stated, “Our agreement for contract manufacturing of Isuzu’s globally renowned vehicles is a testimony to the state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities at our Thiruvallur plant. The operations will enable HML to optimally utilize its spare capacity at Thiruvallur and make eminent business sense at a time when the Indian economy and the automobile industry, in particular, are passing through testing times. Today’s agreement with Isuzu is a strategic move to keep Hindustan Motors on the growth path.”
Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom