Sunfilm on Rear Windows Damage Defogger?

Thread Starter #1
i have searched but did not find relevant information. i read that the sunfilm on rear window is applied over the defogger stripes, and that it might damage the defogger![confused]

i got the films installed prior to delivery. I never had the need to use defogger. please tell me how to check if the defogger is operating normally. if not what to do?

Last edited:
I have installed sunfilm on the rear windshield and there is no problem with the rear defogger.

To test if your defogger is working, on a rainy day use the defogger. You will see clear lines across where the defogger elements run. If the lines are uniform then you do not have any problem with the defogger. (it might take some time to for the effects of the defogger to be visible.) The same result should be visible when you rear wind shield is fogged up.

Thread Starter #4
thank you both for fast replies. is there any other way than to wait till the rain? since it heats the window can i check it by placing my hand?
in the manual it states that the defogger runs max for 15 min, since it eats up lot of battery and work only when the engine is on

Last edited:
thank you both for fast replies. is there any other way than to wait till the rain? since it heats the window can i check it by placing my hand?
in the manual it states that the defogger runs max for 15 min, since it eats up lot of battery and work only when the engine is on
pour cold water in even times when the weather is colder ![evil]

Thread Starter #6
i tried the defogger in the morning 4'0 clock when i went to the temple. when i checked the rear glass from inside near the lines i found that the glass was slightly warm, i did not check all places.
one doubt if we are using ac in rain will the glass get misted? AC dehumidifies, so will mist be formed

Putting the sunfilm on the defogger doesn't damage it. However, if you ever plan to get the film removed then you have to be very careful as that the film removing tool used by local shop guys can damage the defogger lines.

Now, coming to how to test defogger. Prepare a somewhat thick muddy water solution and pour it over the rear glass. Turn on the defogger. The mud mix on the defogger lines will dry up faster in a linear fashion marking the defogger lines.
Once tested you can clean the glass with plenty of water (do not use any cloth or paper till all mud is off the glass else you might induce scratch marks).

freakdude.

In my i10 there was no film installed but i got it done later but in both the cases when i user my defogger the first half of the defogger starts working immediately and the rest starts warming up lateron wher as ideally it should work all together.
If there was a broken filament the defogger will never work as its a closed circuit.
Checked the power coming in which is perfectly fine. The service center ppl say the only way out is change the rear glass.
Can someone please suggest what can be the reason.

There is no damage as reputed sun film manufacturers have done all the dirty work before they have offered their sun films in the market. Do not go for cheap, local sum films, that's all. Money saved in the short run does not necessarily translate into money earned in the long run.

I have sun control film over the defogger for the past 6 years in my accent. Though i have used the defogger very few times, this did not give any trouble at all. Defogger just warms the glass and not overheats. So the risk of sun control film getting peeled is also ruled out.

The tungston filament in the defogger also wont get damaged coz of the sun control film.

You have to be cautious while cleaning it. Wipe it horizontally always and not vertically which may harm the defogger.

Thread Starter #11
I have sun control film over the defogger for the past 6 years in my accent. Though i have used the defogger very few times, this did not give any trouble at all. Defogger just warms the glass and not overheats. So the risk of sun control film getting peeled is also ruled out.

The tungston filament in the defogger also wont get damaged coz of the sun control film.

You have to be cautious while cleaning it. Wipe it horizontally always and not vertically which may harm the defogger.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am planning to ask the SA not to touch the front (garware) and rear windshields while cleaning.

Removed the sunfilms from my Sparky last saturday. then saw a few very light tinted sunfilm sets from garware. The shop quoted rupees 1700, 2700 and 7000 (icecool) for the films. Opted for 1700 one with 25-30% heat reduction. Film is good and working fine but not like the previous darker one. Icecool would have been the best one with 70% heat reduction. but a risk of 7K along with challan will be too risky. :-)
traffic cops in my town are using patrolling parties to check the dark films. [frustration]

You need to get a good quality of sunfilms and should be very carefull while removing these. But why do you want to install the sun films when it's completely banned in India after the supreme court's order??

Top Bottom