Suggestions required in buying a Digital Camera

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for a digital camera between 200~300 pounds (I stay in Milton Keynes, UK). Presently I have a 2 year old 12MP w-series Cyber-shot and looking for a upgrade now.

Here are my requirements
Optical Zoom - at least 15x
10+ megapixel (I hope this is sufficient, I'm not a professional photographer)
No 'AA' batteries - (Used Canon PowerShot SX120is for about a week and not satisfied with the battery life. Lasts hardly for 150 snaps)
HD Video - Not mandatory, but preferred
It should be 'bulky', not the compact ones.

Camera shortlisted
1) Canon Powershot SX30 (doubtful with my budget)
2) Nikon Coolpix L120
3) Nikon Coolpix P500 (again the question of budget)
4) Nikon D3000
5) Nikon Coolpix P100*
6) Sony HX1*

*P100 & HX1 are discontinued. Is there a possibility of getting them at any discounts / offers?

Awaiting your valuable suggestions, price & where to buy.

PS : How about Olympus, Samsung & Fuji Film, never used them.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35

check this one

got hd movie and 18x zoom

nikon d3000 is a dslr and 15x zoom lens for a dslr means $5000+. hope you get me.

Last edited:
nikons are best for dslr .

anything lesser means canon and Panasonic has an edge.

rather than big feature specs give priorities to picture quality when it comes to camera.

for zoom in you can always crop the area of interest.

Mr.Boss, if you want to upgrade from your regular digital camera which you are using till now, try out DSLR's, though they arent cheap to own and maintain but still if you like clicking you'll love them.There are quite few entry level dlsr's in market which you can check, nikon D3100, CanonD50 are few.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion guys.
Finally settled with Nikon P500.

I'm not a professional photographer and of course i don't get time for it. So, no use of a DSLR. Ultimate aim of this upgrade was my present camera was already 2 years old and I feel optical zoom is the only drawback in that.

Prepared to buy Nikon P100, unfortunately it is out of stock and tried other brands and not satisfied either with the photo clarity or the look of the camera. Finally decided to spend a little more and the purchased P500.
Camera + 8 GB mem card + Carry case cost me around 400 pounds after a 8 pound discount for getting these three stuffs together.

Attachments

congratulations on your buy, looking forward to see some amazing clicks from your side, do share about your experience with this new lens of yours.BTW what are its features if you can share?

Thread Starter #11
congratulations on your buy, looking forward to see some amazing clicks from your side, do share about your experience with this new lens of yours.BTW what are its features if you can share?
P500 Spec

congrats,

p500..!! that is one with an incredible zoom. nice purchace Mr boss.
Congrats for your purchase Mr.Boss, do post some snaps in the photography thread.
Thanks dears.
Photographic session may start by August 1st week (Summer shut down here)

Mods : Please edit the thread title "Suggestions required in buying a Digital Camera - Bought Nikon P500"
Wish to continue the ownership review in the same thread.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Tried the 36x zoom of the camera today, just a few minutes back.
Highly impressed since this is my first experience with anything above 10x optical zoom.
Let the pictures speak. One is without zoom & the other is with 36x zoom. Blured output is because of the shaky hands.

Attachments

Last edited:
Tried the 36x zoom of the camera today, just a few minutes back.
Highly impressed since this is my first experience with anything above 10x optical zoom.
Let the pictures speak. One is without zoom & the other is with 36x zoom. Blured output is because of the shaky hands.
Great zoooming I must say and nice pictures. Just a suggestion, take support of a wall or table while zooming in any object than hand shake effect will be minimised. Best is use a tripod, there are small, shoulder support tripods are also available if carrying a big one is an issue.[thumbsup]

I would have suggested D3001 as D3000 is no more in production and is an entry level DSLR. See the basic difference what I understand is you can change the lens as per your requirement. Which keeps on growing if you have interest. Generally, people do not upgade cameras in 2 years if they do not have interest. Moreover, 18-55 kit of Nikon is good enough to solve your desire of photographs and quality of a DSLR is something which I am not worthy enough to describe. [cheers]

I would have suggested D3001 as D3000 is no more in production and is an entry level DSLR. See the basic difference what I understand is you can change the lens as per your requirement. Which keeps on growing if you have interest. Generally, people do not upgade cameras in 2 years if they do not have interest. Moreover, 18-55 kit of Nikon is good enough to solve your desire of photographs and quality of a DSLR is something which I am not worthy enough to describe. [cheers]
Yeah, even i am thinking of getting DSLRs, but a bit confused. Do post some more info about it in this thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/gadgets-more/1433-dslr-information-thread-2.html

Top Bottom