Suggestions Needed for Fiat Punto 1.3 Engine Overhaul

Thread Starter #1
Hi

I am using October 2009 Fiat Punto 1.3 and the odo reading is 134000 kms. Now I think that it needs an engine overhaul as it is consuming more engine oil and its average dropped significantly, turbo not working and back pressure is also there.

I encountered the same problem at 63000 kms, and Fiat did engine overhauling under warranty. At that time the Fiat engineer told me that dust entered into engine's cylinder due to which it got damaged and again I am facing the same issues just after same number of kilometers. I dont understand how dust is entering into the car's engine as I got my car serviced at prescribed intervals by Fiat ie 15000 kms interval.

Now the situation is that its extended warranty also got expired and I have to spend my own money. Can anyone suggest me that from where should I get this job done, from the authorized dealer or from outside. Getting this job done at Authorized dealer may cost me around 1.25 lacs. Presently I lives in Delhi.

Hello Anil. Welcome to The Automotive India.

There could be a number of reasons for the engine requiring an 'overhaul' and dust entry may just be one of them. What all jobs did they do on the engine when it was 'overhauled' at 63000 km? In any case, do get the car checked up at other Fiat service centres (benefit of living in a city like Delhi) and share their diagnosis here.

In any case, I dont see any point in spending Rs. 1.25 lakhs on a 134000 km old car, unless the car has an emotional value. Better to sell it and get a new one.

Regards,
Sam

In any case, I dont see any point in spending Rs. 1.25 lakhs on a 134000 km old car, unless the car has an emotional value. Better to sell it and get a new one.
Valid point.

If there is any emotional attachment, you can get it serviced out side FASS, you could save atleast 30~40k INR. My friend's Swift engine costed around 80k for overhauling here at Chennai (engine seized due to leakage in coolant pipe)

As this is second time you are facing this issue you can request fiat to undertake this work as goodwill if all services were done on time. 60k kms is nothing for MJD.
I hope air-filter box cover was changed in your car with new design cover and all turbo hoses are in good shape including intercooler and I also hope you don't rev too much while engine is cold and your oil pump is in good health.
Please contact fiat and escalate it Customer Support also post on their facebook page. I seriously feel there is some design defect in some car engine part.
I have 119000 km on my Linea and engine is in good health no back pressure and not even a mm drop in oil level for full 15k interval.

Last edited:
I seriously feel there is some design defect in some car engine part.
Let's not blame the design unless & until it is proved to be wrong, please.
If the root cause is poor / improper design, all the MJDs, DDiSs, Q-Jets should fail and not this only engine.

As of now we are unsure about the quality of service done last time, part quality (unfortunately) and the level of customer maintenance / abuse, driving pattern, quality of the fuel.

Thread Starter #7
Hello Anil. Welcome to The Automotive India.

There could be a number of reasons for the engine requiring an 'overhaul' and dust entry may just be one of them. What all jobs did they do on the engine when it was 'overhauled' at 63000 km? In any case, do get the car checked up at other Fiat service centres (benefit of living in a city like Delhi) and share their diagnosis here.

Regards,
Sam
Thanks Sam

At 63000 kms first turbo failed and then back pressure developed in the engine but this time back pressure appears first and then turbo failure;
moreover this time i found leakages in the pipes in engine bay.

At 63000 Kms they changed the turbo, half engine assembly, timing chain, gaskets and the air filter assembly.

which diesel hatchback do u think is best at present?

Let's not blame the design unless & until it is proved to be wrong, please.
If the root cause is poor / improper design, all the MJDs, DDiSs, Q-Jets should fail and not this only engine.

As of now we are unsure about the quality of service done last time, part quality (unfortunately) and the level of customer maintenance / abuse, driving pattern, quality of the fuel.
Hi Boss

I have maintained my car very well and all the services had been carried out at authorized service stations and at regular intervals. I mentioned that at 63000 kms also engine overhaul took place and Fiat did that under warranty. If my service history was not proper Fiat must not have done this work under warranty.

Is half engine assembly of Punto, vista and swift same???

Last edited by a moderator:
Overhaul is major work related to any engine. Since you are doing it for second time it is good to sale this vehicle rather than spending such a huge amount on it, unless it has some special place in your family/heart.

It may not be a design fault, this may happen in 1/1000 or 1/10000 cars for any brand.

Still you wish to continue using this car, I would suggest you check out in multiple private service center for the same work, you will notice the difference.

There are several reasons for this problem,

- When the engine first time overhaul, the piston-block/Crank shaft assembly was not perfectly fitted, resulting in wearing of parts in form of fine particle.

- Fuel quality

I am using October 2009 Fiat Punto 1.3 and the odo reading is 134000 kms. Now I think that it needs an engine overhaul
Fiat guarantees that their Diesel engines are designed to run 7 Lakh kms without any overhaul if all your regular services are done properly. I have seen one Uno diesel with 6 Lakh kms.

Purchasing a new car is a logical suggestion, If you have any emotions attached (Just Like Me), instead of getting it overhauled check if FIAT guys have the half engine assembly just like Maruti, it is better, cheap and less time consuming and will give a second life to your car. I got the half engine assembly done for my 1999 model M800 and it is close to 300000 KM now and runs super smooth.

If try to sell this car, there will not be much takers in the current condition and if sombody who are ready to buy will quote only very low price.
Remember Punto has less resale value. So the other options are, rebuild the engine at a good ASS under Fiat engineers supervistion and use it for another 3 years/ 50K Kms or rebuild at any outside workshop at less price use another 6 months to 1 year and sell.

Thread Starter #12
Purchasing a new car is a logical suggestion, If you have any emotions attached (Just Like Me), instead of getting it overhauled check if FIAT guys have the half engine assembly just like Maruti, it is better, cheap and less time consuming and will give a second life to your car. I got the half engine assembly done for my 1999 model M800 and it is close to 300000 KM now and runs super smooth.

Hi Amit
Fiat already changed the half engine assembly at 63000 kms but again it needed a change at 134000kms so this time i took my car to an outside mechanic who had an experience of almost 25 years and he had overhauled several 1.3 engines on vistas manzas and swift. He will give me an update on monday whether the half engine assembly is required or the same block can be repaired.
I will sell this car after repairs.

Thread Starter #13
If try to sell this car, there will not be much takers in the current condition and if sombody who are ready to buy will quote only very low price.
Remember Punto has less resale value. So the other options are, rebuild the engine at a good ASS under Fiat engineers supervistion and use it for another 3 years/ 50K Kms or rebuild at any outside workshop at less price use another 6 months to 1 year and sell.
Hi
At FASS its too costly nearly 125000 INR and spending that much of amount on a 134000kms driven car doesn't seems logical for me, so i opted to take it to an outside mechanic.

Thread Starter #14
Hi All

Here is update for my car's engine.
The mechanic told me that cylinder no1 and cylinder no4 got damaged due to the entrance of the dust. Now he told me that he will use the slew rings to repair those damaged cylinders and also suggesting me to get the valves change.

Should i get this same engine block repaired by those slew rings or should get a new engine block as new block will cost me more than 40000 and if i opt for slew rings the total cost of repair will be less than 40000. What should i opt for?????

Since you have planned to get it fixed outside the dealership which i think is the right choice you have couple of options:
1. You already showed it to a mechanic and he has told you the estimate. Now just go to Kashmiri Gate and try to find the said parts and i am sure you will find it for a cheaper price.

2. you are quite close to merrut, plan a trip and see if you can find the whole engine. This is one place where you get all kind of engines. Since you are having problems with your current engine you can think about this option as well.

Top Bottom