Suggestions For New / Old Comfort Automatic Petrol Car For Rs.7 - 12 Lakhs

Thread Starter #16
If I were you, I would have gone for a petrol automatic. Also top variant of any manufacturer. Maybe that's just me but I go for top end. Scross is good vehicle, however it feels sluggish for 1.3 diesel. The NVH is bit high for me. I like better NVH cars.
Petrol AT has only Trend+ variant left out in 2018 model stocks hence no other option. All my previous cars were top end somehow, may be I too leaned towards it. But this time I'm going purely with budget and looking out for VFM deals. Since I want to keep an another car in my garage to use alternatively(Which is a dream though)

Guys, I'm striking off S-cross from list based on some of your inputs and due to the reason that it is another town(350km stock yard), and also the rattles I felt during test drive and as mentioned in some of ownership reviews.
Now the fight between final two options,
1. Ecosport petrol AT (Trend+)
2. Ecosport diesel (Trend+)
Both are in similar price range. 2018 model as mentioned earlier with good discount of 80K.
Please help to choose one among above two, will be making the booking mostly tomorrow.
WHAT ? you have not YET booked the Petrol AT ?!

Troops !!! Go and get TaxiMeter for this delay... "Panchayat" will be held under F1 Banyan Tree... Announce in 18 Villages by Dandora.

Jokes apart, with Petrol & Diesel prices so close, it doesn't make sense to buy a Diesel anymore, if monthly running is low. "How low is low ?" can be figured out with little modifications to my old post (link). Whereas the higher Torque of Diesel MT would help pulling ahead of time wasters on highways, the Petrol AT would make you smile more during City commutes. [cheers]

Last edited:
Petrol would be more sensible unless you are buying a MUV or a real SUV. Smoother drive and less maintenance than diesels no matter how much the diesel technology has improved these days.

Off Topic: Just curious,Where in chennai are you moving to?

Thread Starter #19
Guys something to very much consider here, this is a special case!
As I respect your opinion and it influences my buying decision, so please read further and be open to provide your point of views and suggestion.
1. We are not comparing a petrol manual and diesel manual
2. The price difference of diesel here is not one lakh more than petrol car, since petrol referred here is Automatic
3. Fuel efficiency of petrol AT and diesel of these cars are not closer.

In this case we are comparing an Automatic petrol with diesel, hence the below points needs to be considered,
1. Ecosport 1.5 AT petrol Trend plus vs 1.5 MT diesel Trend plus
2. Price of petrol AT is higher than Diesel for the same variant. Petrol AT is 21,000 higher than Diesel on road price.
3. Fuel efficiency of Petrol AT is half of diesel MT (10 vs 20 kmpl)

Today I took test drive of both Ecosport petrol AT and Diesel MT.
More specifically I checked for fuel efficiency, in a same stretch of ~ 6kms (luckily I could try part of my regular city commute route). Petrol AT fuel efficiency (8,500 kms clocked car) was ~10kmpl and Diesel MT (20,000 kms clocked) was 20kmpl, where I carefully driven petrol AT with very light foot to increase acceleration steadily to see what maximum it is giving. Another round of my usual way of driving in the same test route gave just 7.5kmpl. (All fuel efficiency figures based on Average displayed on MID which I have reset before the test drive)

The difference of 10kmpl petrol AT vs 20kmpl of diesel was too alarming at a same price point. Also in general, I felt ecosport diesel clutch is light and ply is short and NVH felt under control compared to other diesel cars.

So for a weekly 200kms minimum drive, I need to keep watching my driving style, AC usage for the sake of mileage else will end up getting just 7kmpl, instead I can drive the diesel with Josh getting a worst case decent mileage of 15kmpl but still losing the comfort of automatic!
This low fuel efficiency is specific to Ecosport AT, even the SA also told the mileage is less due to weight of the car and also the Torque converter AT.
Considering above facts, I took a decision to block Ecosport Diesel Trend plus. Above points are exactly what I thought and reason for narrowing down to avoid petrol AT. Please let me know your opinion.
Note: I can still change my decision if rightly pointed out any drawback with my decision which will be helpful.

WHAT ? you have not YET booked the Petrol AT ?!

Troops !!! Go and get TaxiMeter for this delay... "Panchayat" will be held under F1 Banyan Tree... Announce in 18 Villages by Dandora.

Jokes apart, with Petrol & Diesel prices so close, it doesn't make sense to buy a Diesel anymore, if monthly running is low. "How low is low ?" can be figured out with little modifications to my old post (link). Whereas the higher Torque of Diesel MT would help pulling ahead of time wasters on highways, the Petrol AT would make you smile more during City commutes. [cheers]
For this comparison, the following assumptions which you mentioned in your post may not be applicable, please check..
"
  • Avg FE is 17.5 kpl for Petrol and 19.5 kpl for Diesel.
  • Price difference between Top end Petrol and Diesel variants is Rs. 1,20,000/- "
Both points are not valid in this case!! [:D]

Off Topic: Just curious,Where in chennai are you moving to?
East Coast Road, near Thiruvanmiyur

Thread Starter #20
One obvious question may come in your mind, just wanted to clarify.. if petrol AT doesn't give good FE, why to go for manual Petrol instead of diesel?
The reason to go for diesel since, I'm getting 2018 model diesel for 1 lakh less which will be equivalent to 2019 petrol manual cost hence VFM

Guys something to very much consider here, this is a special case!
As I respect your opinion and it influences my buying decision, so please read further and be open to provide your point of views and suggestion.
1. We are not comparing a petrol manual and diesel manual
2. The price difference of diesel here is not one lakh more than petrol car, since petrol referred here is Automatic
3. Fuel efficiency of petrol AT and diesel of these cars are not closer.

In this case we are comparing an Automatic petrol with diesel, hence the below points needs to be considered,
1. Ecosport 1.5 AT petrol Trend plus vs 1.5 MT diesel Trend plus
2. Price of petrol AT is higher than Diesel for the same variant. Petrol AT is 21,000 higher than Diesel on road price.
3. Fuel efficiency of Petrol AT is half of diesel MT (10 vs 20 kmpl)

Today I took test drive of both Ecosport petrol AT and Diesel MT.
More specifically I checked for fuel efficiency, in a same stretch of ~ 6kms (luckily I could try part of my regular city commute route). Petrol AT fuel efficiency (8,500 kms clocked car) was ~10kmpl and Diesel MT (20,000 kms clocked) was 20kmpl, where I carefully driven petrol AT with very light foot to increase acceleration steadily to see what maximum it is giving. Another round of my usual way of driving in the same test route gave just 7.5kmpl. (All fuel efficiency figures based on Average displayed on MID which I have reset before the test drive)

The difference of 10kmpl petrol AT vs 20kmpl of diesel was too alarming at a same price point. Also in general, I felt ecosport diesel clutch is light and ply is short and NVH felt under control compared to other diesel cars.

So for a weekly 200kms minimum drive, I need to keep watching my driving style, AC usage for the sake of mileage else will end up getting just 7kmpl, instead I can drive the diesel with Josh getting a worst case decent mileage of 15kmpl but still losing the comfort of automatic!
This low fuel efficiency is specific to Ecosport AT, even the SA also told the mileage is less due to weight of the car and also the Torque converter AT.
Considering above facts, I took a decision to block Ecosport Diesel Trend plus. Above points are exactly what I thought and reason for narrowing down to avoid petrol AT. Please let me know your opinion.
Note: I can still change my decision if rightly pointed out any drawback with my decision which will be helpful.

For this comparison, the following assumptions which you mentioned in your post may not be applicable, please check..
"
  • Avg FE is 17.5 kpl for Petrol and 19.5 kpl for Diesel.
  • Price difference between Top end Petrol and Diesel variants is Rs. 1,20,000/- "
Both points are not valid in this case!! [:D]

East Coast Road, near Thiruvanmiyur

Thats well put. I really appreciate your explanation. I will be honest here and accept that i had no clue the mileage difference between petrol AT and diesel AT was so huge!! All said and done, you know whats best and I am sure you decided wise!! Happy motoring!! Hope to catch up if there are any chennai meets sometime soon!

Thread Starter #22
Thats well put. I really appreciate your explanation. I will be honest here and accept that i had no clue the mileage difference between petrol AT and diesel AT was so huge!! All said and done, you know whats best and I am sure you decided wise!! Happy motoring!! Hope to catch up if there are any chennai meets sometime soon!
Small correction, comparison was between petrol AT and Diesel MT. By the way please let me know if there is any planned chennai meet. Earlier one south meet happened to visit hyundai car plant in chennai which I joined from Bangalore..hoping to see such meet happening again.

Small correction, comparison was between petrol AT and Diesel MT. By the way please let me know if there is any planned chennai meet. Earlier one south meet happened to visit hyundai car plant in chennai which I joined from Bangalore..hoping to see such meet happening again.
Oops sorry was multitasking and i failed to notice the difference right. No idea on the meet up bro.... I am still new here but would love to meet up.

Why has no one recommend you Nexon AMT till now??
You can take a look at Nexon petrol AMT. Price is under 10 lakhs if I'm correct.

Thread Starter #25
Why has no one recommend you Nexon AMT till now??
You can take a look at Nexon petrol AMT. Price is under 10 lakhs if I'm correct.
I liked Nexon interiors and build quality. What didn't interest me is the ride quality. Also petrol. 3cylinder engine makes the vehicle shiver both during idle and running condition. Again a personal opinion that I won't suggest automatic of Nexon for that price range since there is a huge delay in automatic to pull the car from the time you remove your leg from brake pedal, this eventually makes the car roll back which is a potential hazard, you have to rely on handbrake even in an small inclined road, which is not expected. Although we can live with all the above for the look and interior feel of the car, however based on my further thought process i understood that this time I'm looking for something which is value for money. I hope the decision is towards it.

Thread Starter #26
Guys happy to share with you, I will be taking delivery of Ford Ecosport Diesel Trend plus variant Canyon Ridge color by this Sunday. Got a discount of one lakh (August 2018 manufactured car).
9,90,000 on-road + 19,000 for 3rd & 4th year warranty.
Additionally I'm getting the roof painted with glossy black (Since I liked the combination in Ecosport S variant) for which getting a discount of 50%.
As of now planning for sporty break pedal and scuff plate as accessory.

Top Bottom