Suggestions For New / Old Comfort Automatic Petrol Car For Rs.7 - 12 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Your Budget: Rs.7 – 12 Lakhs (Chennai On-Road Price)
New or Used: New or Used
Your Location: Chennai
Top 5 Priorities:
1. Petrol Automatic for daily office commute
2. Premium looks, good Interior & Exterior design (Sunroof like features will be good to have)
3. Very high seat comfort (In terms of suspension setup on bad roads, for both driver and rear passenger)
4. Safe car for rare highway trips
5. Sometimes will be driven enthusiastic
Don't care about re-sale value since I will be keeping it longer
Not bothered to get very high fuel efficiency, a decent mileage only expected
Monthly Running: 800 ~ 1000kms
Fuel Type: Petrol
Purpose Type: Daily office commute + Rare highway trips
Seating Capacity: 4 Adults + 1 Kid
Segment Type: Any

Note: I have taken an U-Turn in my earlier requirements through another post! Now the requirements are different since i'm relocating to my hometown.

Currently many cars in mind, so getting confused. If it is a new car, I think this is the best time since, it is end of March there is lot of offers and additional offers on 2018 manufactured car.
Thinking of New:
1. Ecosport Trend+ AT
2. Vento TSI AT (heard comes only in Highline, hence if they give huge discount on 2018 model then can consider)
3. I20 Sports+ AT
Used : Skoda Octavia elegance, Skoda superb, Honda CRV ....A small itch to buy Mercedes A180 also in the list
Not sure whether it is worth buying used car since Im not planning to sell soon, will be keeping it for longer.
Please advice

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. VW Polo TSI with DSG gearbox.
2. I20 petrol or Verna petrol
3. Ecosport 1L ecoboost.
4. Fiat abarth Punto 140 BHP.

Only gripe is seating comfort from all these wont be so great (But not unbearable). Because Bad roads is SUV territory.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I think you should get the jazz automatic top end. In Delhi two of my friends paid 96x,xxx rupees. They both didn't like i20 automatic and baleno automatic.
Don't even think about a used skoda Octavia. The gearbox can fail anytime. Plus there are many problems with waterpump , fuel pump , ac compressor getting kaput within 4 years.
Ecosport too is a good option.

Thread Starter #4
1. VW Polo TSI with DSG gearbox.
2. I20 petrol or Verna petrol
3. Ecosport 1L ecoboost.
4. Fiat abarth Punto 140 BHP.

Only gripe is seating comfort from all these wont be so great (But not unbearable). Because Bad roads is SUV territory.
VW polo GT TSI - Need to check out whether rear seat can comfortably occupy two for longer drives, otherwise for city drive should be a much worth to consider. Will take a test drive to see rear passenger seat comfort.
Ecosport ecoboost comes only in S variant now which is manual, no automatic option with ecoboost, need to go with 1.5 litre naturally aspirated engine option for automatic
Punto abarth is a very old car, thinking whether it make sense to buy now, Will consider i20 and Verna AT

Thread Starter #5
I think you should get the jazz automatic top end. In Delhi two of my friends paid 96x,xxx rupees. They both didn't like i20 automatic and baleno automatic.
Don't even think about a used skoda Octavia. The gearbox can fail anytime. Plus there are many problems with waterpump , fuel pump , ac compressor getting kaput within 4 years.
Ecosport too is a good option.
Ok, will consider Jazz AT in the list for test drive

Would also like to suggest Brezza Amt. I took it for a 3000 km trip and was mighty impressed with a FE of 23 kmpl which included ghats section driving and also forest sections with almost no roads. Nor once did i face any issue regarding ground clearance. But again its your choice. Would suggest you to do a test drive and decide.

For regular Office commutes i find my Verna bit too long. in-city, many times i keep driving around, trying to locate a parking space.

Next trouble comes from those "2W drivers and Auto drivers" driving bit close for my comfort. Same threat WILL happen with a Hatch or a Premium Hatch like i20, Jazz, Polo etc. Hence, i would recommend Ecosport AT ; seeing the SUV shape, idiots will drive bit away, giving you marginal comfort. If you consider Ecosport, do have TD on Nexon Petrol Automatic.

Thread Starter #9
Guys, today I just walked in to Nexa showroom just to have a look at S-cross.. I understand it is all the way out of my two requirements, it's a diesel and Manual transmission. But the car looked pretty good for my eyes, muscular, aggressive front grills, all disc brakes, brake energy regeneration, good inside space, plush suspension and looks to be proper crossover. The delta mid variant comes with projector lights, 16inch machined alloy wheels, push button start, arm rest, auto AC, etc etc convenience needs. Being a diesel, SUV look, more space, higher FE, should i consider it?
I'm also getting about 75K discount on 2018 model car +10K corporate discount. This looks attractive. Please let me know your opinion on Scross.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I think it's the best car from the maruti stable. You can definitely go for s-cross without thinking.
You should also look at brezza AMT. I bought it last December and the jerks are negligible. Compared to s-cross brezza lacks in build quality , interior fit and finish , disc brakes , handling and suspension and many more. I myself don't like the brezza but I drive it just because it's an automatic. That's it. If s cross had an automatic I would have chosen s-cross without even thinking.

Thread Starter #11
I think it's the best car from the maruti stable. You can definitely go for s-cross without thinking.
You should also look at brezza AMT. I bought it last December and the jerks are negligible. Compared to s-cross brezza lacks in build quality , interior fit and finish , disc brakes , handling and suspension and many more. I myself don't like the brezza but I drive it just because it's an automatic. That's it. If s cross had an automatic I would have chosen s-cross without even thinking.
I had a look at Brezza, having an automatic option with diesel is good option but couldn't proceed since wife didn't liked the interior quality. Wouldve been a happy deal if SCross has a petrol engine work AT option, heard it's going to arrive anytime in 2019, but not sure and couldn't wait though. Today I will take a test drive of Jazz VX petrol AT. Also still negotiating for S-cross as well for some more discounts, since the 2018 car is in another location of same dealer (Trichy which is 350 km away) they have to drive and get the car here.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Dont accept any 2018 car with so many kilometers. Do ask the manufacturing month. Maybe it's sitting in your city but has been driven 300kms+. Less than 60kms should be fine. And often the car is abused on it's way to the showroom. I have seen drivers fetching people on their way to the showroom for some extra bucks ( just 25kms distance to the showroom) plus another new santro car being driven at 100+ kmph. Even I couldn't keep up with it in my elantra since I can't drive like that.

Maybe it will be perfectly alright car maybe it won't. I won't take any chances. Do update about the TD experience.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Dont accept any 2018 car with so many kilometers. Do ask the manufacturing month. Maybe it's sitting in your city but has been driven 300kms+. Less than 60kms should be fine. And often the car is abused on it's way to the showroom. I have seen drivers fetching people on their way to the showroom for some extra bucks ( just 25kms distance to the showroom) plus another new santro car being driven at 100+ kmph. Even I couldn't keep up with it in my elantra since I can't drive like that.

Maybe it will be perfectly alright car maybe it won't. I won't take any chances. Do update about the TD experience.
Whatever you said is true, the way they drive from the yard to showroom itself will be too rash, that too for a distance of 350kms they will ruin the engine and gearbox by the time it reaches the showroom. They have also given an option to take the car by myself from there if possible. Checking out for an feasible option.
Meanwhile I test drove both jazz and wrv. Not as per my expectation, felt the car was heavily prized. My personal opinion, ride quality was very bad for a car worth that much, so striking off from my list.
Currently I have three options with good deal on 2018 cars,
1. Ecosport Trend+ petrol automatic
2. Ecosport Trend + diesel
3. S-cross delta ( diesel manual )
All of above almost at the same price range. Please provide your inputs to choose one.

If I were you, I would have gone for a petrol automatic. Also top variant of any manufacturer. Maybe that's just me but I go for top end. Scross is good vehicle, however it feels sluggish for 1.3 diesel. The NVH is bit high for me. I like better NVH cars.

Thread Starter #15
Guys, I'm striking off S-cross from list based on some of your inputs and due to the reason that it is another town(350km stock yard), and also the rattles I felt during test drive and as mentioned in some of ownership reviews.
Now the fight between final two options,
1. Ecosport petrol AT (Trend+)
2. Ecosport diesel (Trend+)
Both are in similar price range. 2018 model as mentioned earlier with good discount of 80K.
Please help to choose one among above two, will be making the booking mostly tomorrow.

Top Bottom