Suggestions for Music System in Alto

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to get an audio player installed in my Alto LXi & my max. budget is around 8000...[cry]

Although, I know that I won't be able to get a very good music setup in this range, I would like some thing decent within this. Also, I do not require a CD player,but I don't mind even if it is present in the player.
I do not want to keep anything which occupies Boot Space (amps, subs etc), as this space will be packed regularly with bags.

Would appreciate if you guys could suggest me the best combo within this range.

Last edited:
Try to have the JBL USB only player , you may get it for around 3K or the Pioneer USB only player and rest invest on some good speakers probably JBL GTO 0949 or Rockford Prime series.

Thread Starter #3
Hi diehard,

Thanks for your reply. Would you suggest some specific models in JBL & Pioneer, as I am new to Car Audio systems.
I have been checking the internet for the past few days and also felt the same (about JBL and Pioneer).
But I need some more information on whether you have to place a rear parcel tray for rear speakers or can it be fixed on the rear doors? and what would be the approx cost for front and back speakers individually?.

Hi Altoid,

Try to have the Pioneer HMV- 1490UB . It will cost you around 3500 .
Apart from that the JBL ovals GTO -0949 will cost you between 3500 - 4K
I would suggest place them in a parcel tray at the back which will cost you from 300 to 500 rs depending on the quality of the tray . ( You may opt for the company fitted tray as well however it is not recommended)
You may have to install a coupler -( is used to avoid cutting any wires in the car electrical system and preventing any warranty issues )

If you want some surround sound effect ( partially) opt for 4 inch speakers near the front doors, they will cost you between 600-1000 Rs max.

I think this will be enough for a basic setup .

Suggestions of upgrade at a later stage

Headunit - Stick to Pioneer

Speakers - try Rockford may cost you around 5K or Kicker at around the same price.

Please let me know in case you need any additional information

PS - Buy all the stuff with bill and warranty. Do not opt for stuff without the bill it may cost you less however peace of mind is pivotal.

Cheers,

Thread Starter #5
Hi diehard,

Thanks for the information, I will visit the accessories shop this weekend and check if these are available and let me also get the quotes from them to cross check.
Will update to you after this. Thanks once again for the info and Help.

Thread Starter #6
Hi Diehard,

I need one more piece of information. I have posted the same in another Alto Owner's thread for his opinion from his experience.

I would like to get your advice also on this.

Could you please tell me where it will be better to keep the rear speakers? On the parcel tray or on the rear doors? Will it be a problem if i keep it on the doors, as regular opening and closing of the door might cause some shakes to the speakers.
I am asking this because if i keep a parcel tray the boot space will be very limited. Or can i go in for a sliding parcel tray which can be slide in (close and parallel to the seat) when required.

Hi Altoid,

There is no problem in having the speakers fitted in the doors however since the door panels are not that strong and the quality of plastics used by Maruti in Alto is not that great, the doors may rattle and clatter which is something you would not like. I would recommend you to get a wooden tray at the boot and get the ovals installed in the tray.

In case you plan to have speakers in the door, you will have to get the panel cut as well in case there is no space to fit the speakers.

Cheers

Thread Starter #8
Thanks Yaar, will get a wooden parcel tray and fixed and the speakers installed there.

Also you suggested "If you want some surround sound effect ( partially) opt for 4 inch speakers near the front doors, they will cost you between 600-1000 Rs max"
Which ones would be good?

Try to opt for JBL will be reasonably priced. I don't think you would need to go above JBL as you are not using an amplifier. If not JBL then go for Pioneer or Alpine

One more suggestion. !

Usually when you go for a system install your expenses tend to be on the higher side than you planned. so for instance if i planned 15K i may land up spending 18K . Thats because you tend to go for a better stuff than what you planned.

So keep a buffer of a couple of thousand bucks or use your Credit card ( The smarter option if you opt for high end products) .

Remember listen to the speakers and then decide what sounds better .

Cheers and Happy motoring

Thread Starter #11
Thanks for your suggestions. Will try different ones before finalizing, also will update you on what's happening.

Thread Starter #12
I have got the setup done, the same ones which you have told.
Price
Pioneer HMV- 1490UB -Rs.4250
JBL ovals GTO -0949 -Rs.5000
JBL Front 4'' Speakers-Rs.2000
Antenna-Rs.250
Rear Board- Rs.250
Fixing Charges Rs.200
Total-11950/-
I was expecting them to keep a rear parcel tray, but when the board came out I was surprised, I will post a snap soon. The sad part is that they cut out some panel from the inside of the boot door while I was not looking.
All the work looked fine, and I started back home enjoying FM, mid-way switched on the AC and FM started getting distorted. Turned back and headed straight towards the Shop. The shop owner started justifying that since this is an aftermarket work, and only in the cars which come with the stereo from the manufacturer this issue will not happen. I refused to take that reason, and asked him to check properly the issue. Checked and found that the current (live) was taken from the cigarette lighter socket instead from the radio live connection already provided by the manufacturer.
Waited for another two hours completely re-wired it and now it is working fine.
Expected just a decent setup at this price but due to your help got an excellent set-up instead.. [:D]

Thanks once again for your advice.

Last edited:
Hey Diehard120,

I am a new member round the block and I have the very same question for you. I am purchasing a used Alto 1.1 and I am looking for a decent set of stereo within 7-8k. I hope this would be enough to buy a basic headunit and a pair of speakers with a tweeter/4" for bass. Does your advice still hold good about the Pioneer HU and JBL speakers. I also guess theprices have dropped in the last year. By the way, I do not need a CD receiver, I am good with a USB/Aux system. I would love to hear your suggestions. The car by the way comes with an old stereo which has Mp3/aux in and a pair of speakers, is there a way I can test its juice(atleast the speakers) so that I can just change the head unit.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom