Suggestions for Improvement of Roads to Govt. Of India

i feel using hazard lights on moving cars is widely practiced in india & is wrong.

hazard lights should be used to indicate a stationary vehicle only.

for foggy/rainy conditions, people should use front & rear fog lamps in their car which by the way should be standard!
Dear Raj,

I dont agree with you in this:

"i feel using hazard lights on moving cars is widely practiced in india & is wrong.

hazard lights should be used to indicate a stationary vehicle only.
"

Apart from using on foggy , parking and rainy conditions Hazard signals are used for any HAZARDs which others may face from the vehicle it is used in.Suppose a vehicle is used as an ambulance and transporting a serious patient, in that situation hazard signal is needed, as according to traffic rules vehicles with hazard signals on ,should be given higher priority than other vehicles, just as emergency services vehicles,but one should not use it for wrong purpose and take its advantage wrongly.There are many such cases where hazard signals can be used.
I agree with you in this:

"for foggy/rainy conditions, people should use front & rear fog lamps in their car which by the way should be standard!"

it should be done compulsorily, either aftermarket or factory fitted.

The purpose of Hazard lamps, AFAIK is for indicating that a car is parked on a dangerous spot(for the road users) and for some emergency purposes.

Many people use hazard lamps as a straight indicator and its the most stupidest act done. You can't figure out where the car is heading from the sides.

AHI, look at the file i have attached. traffic rules state on what circumstances hazard lights should be used.

talking about ambulances, they are supposed to use their siren & top mounted beacon lights & not their vehicle's hazard lights.

Attachments

@Raj: You have mistaken my statement.I didnt said about ambulance at all, but suppose if anybody get seriously ill and if you are trying to transport him/her to the nearest hospital on your vehicle, then to alert other that you are in emergency and to get the road cleared ahead,your vehicle's hazard should be on.I didnt said ambulance should put their hazards on as they already have their own emergency dedicated indicator.

@Raj: You have mistaken my statement.I didnt said about ambulance at all, but suppose if anybody get seriously ill and if you are trying to transport him/her to the nearest hospital on your vehicle, then to alert other that you are in emergency and to get the road cleared ahead,your vehicle's hazard should be on.I didnt said ambulance should put their hazards on as they already have their own emergency dedicated indicator.
I don't agree that putting hazard light for emergency will help to get space in traffic. It will just confuse other drivers.

Ok.Actually I have seen some private car drivers and cabbys doing it, and didnt saw anywhere that it is out of traffic rule,even traffic police also make way to them.
LOL, traffic rules are rarely followed in india & it should not be a surprise!

thats what i said initially. hazard lights in rains is widely practiced but IMHO its wrong.

Unnecessary used of hazard lights only confuses. Specially during overtaking. I once escaped an accident due to this.A scorpio guys driving fast with 4 indicators on was behind a truck and i was behind him. When there was no traffic i tried to overtake the scorpio, i horned hm twice he didnt respond so i continued and suddenly he swered towards me and i had to go offroad just to prevent the dash. I mean even if he had tried to use the lane change indicators it culdnt have turned on since HAZARD lights were already on.

Have met many mads like your scorpio experience in roads. And I am used to it[lol] , what else can i do?

Similarly to let us overtake the truckers put on the right or left indicator as signal to pass them . which is exactly the opposite.

hazard lights should be used if there is any accident on a highway. it will make aware to fellow drivers that they need to slow down the vehicle.
for parking in front of shops and bus stops, it means they will take off the vehicle in a very short period,
if any break down.

Government needs to implement the laws without hesitation. We do have excellent laws to ensure an orderly state of things on the road. The real problem is that laws are never implemented. I also see that media starts bringing out news like 'Helmet Hunt by Police and Motor Vehicle department', 'Harassment by Police on auto rickshaw drivers' 'Man caught by Police for not wearing seatbelt,when he was driving a 2001 model car' All these are stuff I've come across in malayalam dailies in Kerala,one of them is the leading newspaper in India. If the media starts to condemn the Police and authorities for trying to implement laws,then I think the media is actually on the side of the anarchists and lawbreakers. If people understand the true fact that laws are for the benefit of people and not to harm them then things can be more better. But the media as in local media are doing great damage by spreading a negative vibe and making people to believe that the laws are to harass people:frown:.

350Z

Core Team
One of the factors which I realized while driving today morning is that, though our Rules for Road are well made but there is some where a flaw on the government’s part.

Since last yesterday it started raining here and as usual the roads were blocked, Special thanks to Delhi Metro Construction work resulting in the traffic jam. A moron in a Zen was driving pathetically and suddenly when he saw that there is no divider he jumped taking his car off the footpath on opposite lane to avoid the traffic jam! The way car was being driven and suddenly it took a turn could have cause a chain accident in which many other cars behind could have been damaged, only because of a single person.

First of all what needs to be done is to improve the conditions of Roads with proper dividers, All traffic signals working in perfect condition, not that it blows with a little rain. Then secondly comes the point to charge fines etc. for flouting the Rules.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #29
Very well said and I fully agree :agree: but we all are hoping that the things which are causing problems now (like metro) will be helpful in future and condition will get better near to october when common wealth games happen.

I dont think Hazard lights should be used for any other purpose other than what its meant for. In Kerala you can see people use it for going straight at a four roads junction. And the funny and scary fact is that people never use it when they park their vehicle on the road in an unsafe place for some reason,for instance a narrow highway at night or at twilight time. I use them only if my vehicle is on Tow,if I'm towing another vehicle,if the vehicle has broken down and is stationary on the road,if I had an accident and the vehicle is not hundred percent roadworthy and has to be driven away at a slow pace to a near by workshop or service centre. Whats ridiculous is that people never use them when they are supposed to be lit up.

Top Bottom