Suggestions for a Reliable Home PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Finally, I’m planning to replace my HCL Home desktop which has been serving perfectly well from over past few years and still looks like new but with the time, it is not anymore able to live up to my expectations in terms of capacity, speed, design and other such factors.

Moreover, recently some issues have also started cropping up. Now what I’m looking for is an apt replacement for this desktop which should be reliable enough to serve for another 3-4 years. I’m kind of new in this market and have probably the least information about new releases. I’d appreciate some suggestions about good Home PC with say at least 1 GB RAM. Not in a hurry to purchase, it’ll be bought by end of this year. And budget? It’s quite packed. What’s the cheapest and reliable available? I was going through Acer India website and discovered the two models: IE3540 and IE4750. Any reviews on that?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Though i have personally not owned, but Acer should be good choice for budget. The specification also looks pretty good.
BTW whats the price of these models?

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
Though i have personally not owned, but Acer should be good choice for budget. The specification also looks pretty good.
BTW whats the price of these models?
Did some Googling and found this site, which mentions it for only Rs.25K, Is that true really?

ilango[speed thirst];46701 said:
Assembled one , cheap and best!
Yes, That’s a good option but honestly I’m not interested.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Then get a dell pc!

My sis got one in pune for 26k

Was same config as my office pc , but i got a 22 inch screen and a laser printer for the same price in assembled

Its a dual core , though core to duo/quad are latest
1bg ram , you can go for 2 gb that is standard now

mine has azus board.
No idea what dell has.

a 18inch monitor.

Last edited:
Vibhor, I will not suggest you to get a Desktop. Instead, I will advice you to go for a Notebook PC - with 17" or wider screen. For example HP ProBook 4720s Notebook PC is one of the best in the segment. These type of notebooks are now replacing desktops. My colleagues are using this as they will be working from home too. Since you will be working a lot from home, though essentially on the forum and related activities, I guess it is sensible to have 17" screen notebook instead of a desktop. That way, you can carry your 'desktop' if required. check out the 17" version from Acer and Dell too. All these companies are good as well.

Last edited:
My suggestion also would be to go for Notebook PC.
If you are keen on getting a Desktop, check this.
Its Dell's website. You can select your desired configuration on left and you can see the product and its pricing.[:)]

Notebooks are best but you should also consider the other aspects of it too.
1. If you are a hard core gamer then consider buying desktop only.
2. Today's notebooks are good to serve you another 3-4 years but the spares cost is considerable, if you want to change the CD Rom of notebook it will cost you more than double than that of desktop.
3. Upgrading the desktop is easy than notepad. You can add extra things in desktop easily e.g. graphics card, extend HDD/ROM.

Buying assembled or branded is totally depend on the person. Both are equally good.

ilango[speed thirst];46701 said:
Assembled one , cheap and best!
I second you man . I had purchased more than 10 PC for myself,relatives and friends and none are branded just now own three, all are assembled.

Notebooks are best but you should also consider the other aspects of it too.

Upgrading the desktop is easy than notepad. You can add extra things in desktop easily e.g. graphics card, extend HDD/ROM.

Buying assembled or branded is totally depend on the person. Both are equally good.
correct .My master system has been upgraded 3 or four times[clap]

1. If you are a hard core gamer then consider buying desktop only.
This is true to some extend. However, you can configure the RAM and graphics card to meet this requirement easily.

2. Today's notebooks are good to serve you another 3-4 years but the spares cost is considerable, if you want to change the CD Rom of notebook it will cost you more than double than that of desktop.
Yes, spare cost is considerable if you have configured the notebook to an high end one.

Never change the CD ROM! Always get an external multilayer DVD writer. I have a SONY Dual layer one [:)]

3. Upgrading the desktop is easy than notepad. You can add extra things in desktop easily e.g. graphics card, extend HDD/ROM.
Graphics card is the major decision. Hard disk you can manage with portable external HDD.

Yes, even if it is highly reputed brand, your system can crash next day! (though such things won't happen). Both are equally good. However if you are assembling, you have to be very sure that the mother board, RAM, graphics card and processors are not from Grey market. It is really tough to identify the grey products as they are also packed well. That is the only benefit of going for a branded one.

I would suggest a Dell. Suitable config would be, IMO-
2Gb or 3Gb RAM
320 Gb HDD (500Gb if required)
A basic NVidia or ATi Graphic card.
Original Windows 7 Home premium (Home Basic is a pain)
An 18" or 19" widescreen LCD monitor. (If you want something larger, go in for it)

Since you are going in for a factory assembled PC, try and go in for a set - up with with 2.1 speakers, preferably Creative too.

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
Vibhor, I will not suggest you to get a Desktop. Instead, I will advice you to go for a Notebook PC - with 17" or wider screen. For example HP ProBook 4720s Notebook PC is one of the best in the segment. These type of notebooks are now replacing desktops. My colleagues are using this as they will be working from home too. Since you will be working a lot from home, though essentially on the forum and related activities, I guess it is sensible to have 17" screen notebook instead of a desktop. That way, you can carry your 'desktop' if required. check out the 17" version from Acer and Dell too. All these companies are good as well.
The work will not only be limited to surfing internet, and a desktop is after all a desktop. :smile: I find it much convenient to use one and while traveling, I usually carry the laptop.

My suggestion also would be to go for Notebook PC. If you are keen on getting a Desktop, check this.
Its Dell's website. You can select your desired configuration on left and you can see the product and its pricing.
This seems to be good, Thanks for the link. Apart from this, Any accurate information about price of two Acer Models which I mentioned previously?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey Vibhor I would suggest you to go for an Assembled PC.
Best processor in your range would be AMD Athlon(Phenom).
Gigabyte motherboard with on board graphics card.
A minimum of 2 GB Ram DDR-3 Version.
Hard disk min 512 GB or 1 Tera byte.
A DVD Rom R/W+ of Sony is best.
Monitor LG LCD 19" costs somewhere around 5500/-
Cabinet range starts from 1500 to 3500/-
Buy a cabinet which has minimum of 2 fans for cooling CPU(Central processing Unit).
If you are not a game freak i would recommend you a normal onboard graphics card.
Which comes easily with Gigabyte Motherboard.

The work will not only be limited to surfing internet, and a desktop is after all a desktop. :smile: I find it much convenient to use one......

Drive Safe,
350Z
Exactly. Even i find it fun to use than a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom