Suggestions for a Diesel Car within 6 - 8 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Guys I am looking forward to buy a diesel car hatchback/sedan, however, the multiplicity of choices are making me all the more confused. Kindly help me make a informed choice!

Requirements -

Budget - 6-8 lakhs
Location - Kolkata (primarily for driving within city)
Priorities - A$$, Good fuel economy, easy availability of spares and comfort
Monthly running - around 1000kms monthly (expected to increase over time)
Purpose - Primarily for city, occasional highway sprints [:)]
Space - I am myself around 5'11 and my wife is a couple of inches shorter than me hence, visibility and front seat ergonomics are of paramount importance. Expect full load of 5 people on weekend trips to relatives outside city

My heart was always with Dzire the moment it was launched by Maruti. In fact I had booked it a couple of months back which was setback by the debacle in the manesar factory. My dealer though initially had given a waiting of 3 months but now refuses to commit on delivery dates now. Now I am in a catch 22 situation and cannot decide on a suitable replacement for the Dzire.

Cars which I have in mind are -

Figo - Very dated design and interior quality looks build to cost. But the biggest worry is the constant feedback I get from friends regarding GC issues and bottom scraping bumps and potholes. Coupled with that I am not sure of the Ford A$$ in Kolkata.

Ritz - Ugly dickling from maruti stable. I just cannot stand the rear end though my mind says its a very practical car though slightly overpriced.

Micra - My wife fell for it moment she saw it. I find the rear end hard to digest but can still live with it coz it offered nicest driveability off the cars we Test drove.

Swift - ruled out due to waiting periods and the boot is too small and has an impractical design.

i20 - I found everything about the car overpriced including the optional third year warranty (just 1 yr extra!) at Rs 8500. Comeon Hyundai what were you thinking

Please help in making a suitable choice given my requirements!

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Cupid, you have fairly covered almost all available models in the market presently and my suggestions are

With your usage, I still ask you think about a petrol car with the latest price increase of diesel and if you are convinced with this, then best petrol hatch currently is

Honda Jazz !!

If you still look for diesel, then

Look for Punto - for various reasons like built quality, good FE, driving pleasure and service network is being improved now which was the only drawback

Also look at Vista - if you have some good TASS near to you, a VFM and spacious hatch like a sedan !![:)]

Hai cupid Welcome to TAI
Have a pleasant stay with us
Good to see your needs
As you want only to drive in city and occasional highway take a decision of hatchback cars only.
I suggest you punto
Which RK sir has mentioned.
Figo is also good but punto really gives the space of a big car.
In TAI we have so many punto owners please refer thier ownership thread.

I would suggest you to wait for the rest of the time since you have waited for already 3 months and get your dzire diesel. The wait would be worth it considering the VFM, resale value and widest availabilty of After sales service throughout India.
I would also suggest you to have a look at ford classic. It would be a nice alternative for Dzire.
Do check out the toyota liva GD SP which would be another good option if you want a hatch. The interiors are the only down point.

Why not give a look at your nearest Tata showroom for Indian Vista err Indica Vista.featurewise and ergonomically it is far better than any of the model mentioned above.
but caution get yourself through n through with the dealership and service centre.
We have quite a number of Happy Vista and manza owners onboard Tai.
So I am recomending.

Why aren't you considering TATA Manza along with vista its indeed a nice car to have, its one of the most spacius car, will be in your budget also IMO.

You can consider punto, only if you really wanna know what a ride quality is, how does high speed stability feels like, Why we call punto built like tank.

Don't forget you'll be paying for all these things in ASS by having inconvenience initially.

But i bet, you wouldn't regret your decision of owning a FIAT ever.

A request: Do not underestimate safety, even if you drive at 10kmph(very sedately).

350Z

Core Team
Guys I am looking forward to buy a diesel car hatchback/sedan, however, the multiplicity of choices are making me all the more confused.
Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India, Cupid.

Figo - Very dated design and interior quality looks build to cost. But the biggest worry is the constant feedback I get from friends regarding GC issues and bottom scraping bumps and potholes. Coupled with that I am not sure of the Ford A$$ in Kolkata.
It does not make sense to consider Figo since facelift model is around the corner (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-news/5704-new-ford-figo-facelift-pictures.html).

Ritz - Ugly dickling from maruti stable. I just cannot stand the rear end though my mind says its a very practical car though slightly overpriced.
Yes. Ritz is indeed a practical car and worth considering. Personally I find the rear design to be alright though Maruti has messed more with the new front looks.

Micra - My wife fell for it moment she saw it. I find the rear end hard to digest but can still live with it coz it offered nicest driveability off the cars we Test drove.
You can also check out Renault Pulse even though the looks remains more or less similar to Micra.

i20 - I found everything about the car overpriced including the optional third year warranty (just 1 yr extra!) at Rs 8500. Comeon Hyundai what were you thinking
New i20 is another worth checking out car. But after sales and maintenance aspect might not be as strong as Maruti.

Swift - ruled out due to waiting periods and the boot is too small and has an impractical design.
It all again boils down to the initial choice. That is, Dzire. The car ticks those boxes (VFM, A.S.S, F.E etc). You can also look at Etios Liva. Toyota has lately launched the TRD Sportivo Edition with additional sports kit etc. and it fits the bill perfectly well (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...st-anniversary-liva-trd-sportivo-edition.html).

Drive Safe,
350Z

+1 350Z sir with regard to Ritz's opinion.
Ritz ZDi would be a VFM hatch which combines every thing including ABS and AIRBAGS. Since it is a offering from maruti it would fetch you good resale value and hassle free maintanance also.

@350Z

Giving such a detailed opinion for one of the member seems to be very partial to me[cry], but thanks for your words for Ritz, but I still feel the Punto steals the show here !!

Ritz Diesel , its a total VFM car , with the latest face lift do take a TD , you might even like the new look since in case of ritz looks was your point of concern , the only issue with ritz is less RPM at low speeds , but thats common with all diesel cars except chevy beat which have high rpm even at low speeds compared to ritz . But that shouldn't be much point of concern since the engine is very refined and the kind of features ritz is offering at this price point , its a nice bargain. So I would say ritz . Coz its impossible to replace the ass of Maruti Suzuki , and in diesel cars u need a trusted ass.

Zenon, +100 for your suggestions, but being a Ritz diesel owner since past 1-1/2 years, I say this, though Ritz is good VFM car

1) Maruti A.S.S which was the only plus point for them from years is somehow under operating these days and trying squeeze money from customers and not doing proper service.
2) Today i visited TATA to buy a Vista for my brother in law and we have finalised Vista VX 2012 model for Rs.6.50L on road which includes some really loaded features when you compare it with Ritz Ldi which is little more than this price. This new 2012 Vista was amazing in space, nice dash board with integrated music, Bluetooth, steering mounted controls,ABS with very strong TATA body built and inside plastic quality with beige interiors.

Apart from above even Punto offers some great things but with these kind of features the price is bit more where my brother in law doesn't want to spend more for it as he was very impressed with the Vista space which is leading in its segment

Cupid, suggest you TD the refreshed Verito diesel. I think you will be surprised. Does not have the bells and whistles of the Manza, but lower in price and handling and NVH are really good. TD it and let us know what you think.

Out of your considered car i would suggest you to go for Micra, otherwise you can visit TATA showroom and check out both Vista & Punto with the current discounts even Manza should fall into your budget.

Even though Micra seems to be a fine contender but I wont suggest it just because it is available in market.
I would let it get seasoned,see more matured reviews .
The service network is very thin and it is a pretty new entrant .

Top Bottom