Suggestion Required - Kolkata To Varanasi

Thread Starter #1
Guys i need your help to finalize my next trip to Varanasi along with my 2 month old daughter.Is it safe to travel with with 2 month old baby?any suggestion regarding route plan,hotels etc.

Hi, considering you are planning to go by road, would suggest against it. Your daughter would need feeding every 2 hours or so and have other requirements, hence it is better to travel by train rather than by road (i.e if you need to travel at all).

I am afraid you will have to forgo of some liberties now that you are a parent [:)]

Hi, I woudn't suggest you this trip with a 2 months old baby, It could be very tiring for the baby atleast, Choose Air or Train Mode.

SwiftKolkata, I realize that you must be feeling the itch of taking your car for a long drive, but considering that you would be travelling with your 2months old baby, i feel you will have to be a lot careful when going by road. I am not very sure of baby care, but i feel it wont be very comfortable for her travelling such a long stretch at one go.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys for suggestion.I have already postpone this trip plan for another 3-4 months as her Pediatrician suggest me not to travel that far at this age so waiting for her to be at least 6 month old.

Thanks guys for suggestion.I have already postpone this trip plan for another 3-4 months as her Pediatrician suggest me not to travel that far at this age so waiting for her to be at least 6 month old.
When do you plan to go?

I am taking this route on 3rd Nov..

My tentative dates are

3 Nov - Kol to Bodh Gaya
4 Nov - Bodh Gaya to Allahabad (crossing Varanasi)
5 Nov - Allahabad to Lucknow
6 Nov - Lucknow
7 Nov - Lucknow to Varanasi
8 & 9 Nov - Varanasi
10 Nov - Varanasi to Kolkata

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but requirements are similar, so request views / suggestions from members.

3 Nov - Kol to Bodh Gaya
6 Nov - Lucknow
8 & 9 Nov - Varanasi
In case time permits, please also visit Rajgir and Nalanda from Bodhgaya. Both of them can be managed in a day, if you start early. While returning from there you may choose the Nawada-Koderma-Jhumritilaya-Barhi route to rejoin NH2. And please rest assured, roads are real good in Bihar.

In case time permits, please also visit Rajgir and Nalanda from Bodhgaya. Both of them can be managed in a day, if you start early. While returning from there you may choose the Nawada-Koderma-Jhumritilaya-Barhi route to rejoin NH2. And please rest assured, roads are real good in Bihar.

Can you tell me how much (Km) of a detour will it be, if I join back NH2 at Barhi.

My problem is my Son is 2 yrs old and my father is 80 years old. So the bandwidth age wise is very high and I do not want to make too many diversions.

My main aim is Varanasi (the oldest living city) & Lucknow(the city of the nawabs).

Thread Starter #10
When do you plan to go?

I am taking this route on 3rd Nov..

My tentative dates are

3 Nov - Kol to Bodh Gaya
6 Nov - Lucknow
8 & 9 Nov - Varanasi

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but requirements are similar, so request views / suggestions from members.
Sorry for replying late,actually i have canceled my varanasi plan till Jan/Feb 2012[frustration] but planing a short trip with my family soon.

Can you tell me how much (Km) of a detour will it be, if I join back NH2 at Barhi.
Barhi to Rajgir (search in Google map, via Jhumri Tilaya, Koderma. Nawada and Hisua) is about 125 KM. The road is excellent in the state of Bihar and is manageable in the state of Jharkhand. And Nalanda is another 12KM from Rajgir, IIRC. You have to take the Hisua-Gaya-Bodhgaya-Dobhi route to join NH2. But you need to spend at least one night (possibly two) at Rajgir to visit all these areas and considering that you have your father and son along with you, I shall suggest that you skip this detour.

Yes please do visit Rajgir and Nalanda, you will really love it and feel the part of history. BTW my roots are from Rajgir but in I have visited Rajgir, Nalanda and Bodh Gaya at age of 27.

Yes. For any history buff a visit to Nalanda is always a pleasure. Please allow me to share few photos from my last visit.
098.jpg
099.jpg
103.jpg
And Rajgir also has decent hotels to choose from, so accommodation should not be much of a problem.
Regards,
Rahul

Yes. For any history buff a visit to Nalanda is always a pleasure. Please allow me to share few photos from my last visit.
View attachment 64883
View attachment 64884
View attachment 64885
And Rajgir also has decent hotels to choose from, so accommodation should not be much of a problem.
Regards,
Rahul
No I think I will give Rajgir / Nalanda a miss. But whatever history I have heard about them and whatever pictures Rahul has posted about them, might think of a separate tour altogether on an extended weekend.

As of now, my Varanasi hotel has been booked on 7 to 9 Nov. Will work my plan around that.

Anu more suggestions welcome

Last edited:

Top Bottom