Suggestion Needed for a New Car Under 12 Lac.

Thread Starter #1
Hello again to all enthusiasts aboard,actually I am in a confusion for last one month and the confusion is that I have sold my Esteem LXi last month itself and had been using my brother’s Innova for my office commutes,but since brother too needs his car(though he takes the scooty with a fake smile)so about 15 days back I decided that I’ll be buying a new car for myself.After some budget setting,some financial planning and all I finalized my limit at 8-10 lacs,but then bro and father come up for fulfilling my demands(as usual) so now my budget is about 12-13 lac which can be further extended to a maximum 15 lac for any good car that deserves the cash.So my personal requirements are mentioned below:-
  • Daily running:About 14-18 kms max.
  • Net monthly running:About 800-1000 kms max.
  • Fuel type:No preference,both are acceptable.
  • Body type:I can drive any,weather it’s a powerful hatch or a sedan or a hulking SUV.
  • Brand preference:None,I need car,not the badge.
  • Roads I drive:Open NH-8,Slightly dense Ring road and sometimes hilly roads.
  • FE:I can afford upto 7-8 Rs/Km for any fun filled machine.But the car needs to satisfy me whenever I press the gas and if the car doesn’t perform like a beast then it must deliver the best of the FE.In other words,no compromise if I need performance I need bagfuls of it and if FE then I need bagfuls of it.
  • When I need the car?No bar,a good car can be bought even after 6 months of waiting.
  • How many people will be using?Only me,no one else.
  • Interior preference:Comfort and only comfort,weather its in front or in the rear.
  • How long I’ll keep the car:Exactly 5 years,thanks to my company.
  • Do I need to mention anything else?

350Z

Core Team
Honda City is a safe choice for those requirements. This car is a fine balance between comfort and performance. Top-end (V) variant is priced somewhere around at Rs.10.5 Lakhs. So it will accommodate well in the previously fixed budget. Moreover, I also think that it does not make much sense to spend anymore especially when the running is lesser and car will be used for personal purpose only unless one is also concerned about status et al. Do remember that at the end of the day a car is nothing more than a depreciating asset. Anyways Honda’s are well known for their reliability and good resale value.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Very well suggested Vibhor. My choice is also the same. Go for Honda city. Since you mentioned you need one with ample of gas, Civic is also a good option provided if you stretch your budget.

I would also suggest you to have a look at new Fiesta titanium as its comfortable and filled with all sort of goodies. Capably of churning enough gas as well.

Give TD of both the cars and choose which you like.

+1 to 350Z. You're speaking of Honda City. look no further.

Even more because you are not particular about the fuel type!

One question though. you didn mention about the looks of the car.
Any preference on transmission? Auto/Manual
Another thing i was looking for is about the long drives.
How often do you go on weekend trips and how many people?

Other cars i can suggest are:
Cruze (if u can stretch a bit ~2L)
Yeti (awesome car to drive)
XUV - Super macho and fun drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for your quick response mates,out of auto and manual I will prefer to go for the manual transmission.Though auto is easy to drive but I love having all power in my hands.

@350Z:Thanks for your advise,I am also thinking of a Honda City or Civic.

Rest here is my preference:-

Powerful hatchback:It will offer me ease of driving,good FE and good performance too.Also the small dimensions will always be helpful in city,especially in terms of parking.

Sedan:Any good sedan gives a good comfort and no doubt it gives a class too.It will give a more powerful engine,better boot and cabin space and will be safer too.In fact for a manager,the sedan suits best considering their job profile too.

SUV:I like SUVs also,I have driven Scorpio,Safari and Fortuner and I felt like they fill the driver with confidence and break the confidence of other road users.I believe that an SUV will be the safest vehicle for any women to travel in as nearly everyone is scared of the people driving SUVs.Should I wait for new Safari to come?

Vehicles which I have thought are:-

Hatchback:Polo 1.6,Fiat Punto 90 hp and Hyundai i20 CRDi.
Sedan(Petrol):Honda City,Honda Civic,Ford Fiesta and Toyota Corolla.
Sedan(Diesel):Skoda Rapid,VW Polo,Chevrolet Cruze,Hyundai Verna.
SUV:Safari,XUV,Yeti and Aria.

Now I am confused which to buy and why?Also thinking of any additions or deductions from list.

On various forums I have found the default choice of enthusiasts as:Fiat Punto 90,VW Polo 1.6,Honda City and Civic and Tata Safari till now as they are some of the most talked cars.Am I right?If yes,then why it is so?

Last edited:
@ ParC - You speak the language of a true-blue petrol head!
Good to know your preferences.

Based on these, i'll say you should try out the Polo/Vento also.
Pretty peppy on petrol as well as a diesel.

SUV: if you're looking for a SUV, current market, the best beast you have is XUV.
Nothing beats it in terms of power, performance and most importantly, the sheer looks!
But if you want a tiger in sheep-skin,try Yeti. Its truly out-of-the-world!

Thread Starter #8
@Vamsuduk:Thanks for the response.

Forgot to mention that I don't understand the power output of any engine or car so easily and hence want you guys to tell me which car is best for good acceleration in the gears.I don't drive over 100 normally but I need a powerful car for the powerful acceleration.It helps safe and quick overtaking.So I need a car in which I can overtake the other vehicles with just a mild touch of accelerator.

@ParC

Looking at all your requirements and understanding your driving passion, I feel the following will suit you.

Hatchback : Punto/Fabia
Sedan(Petrol) : Honda City/Toyota Corolla
Sedan(Diesel) : Toyota Altis/Skoda Rapid
SUV : The one and only Skoda Yeti (I recently drove this with one of my friend and leaving its cost a side(I think there are some good discounts upto 2L offered to promote the sales), I can say that never felt so powerful, so peppy with any other car/SUV. Its built quality and features are really awesome !! Visibility in the front and rear are too good and very easy to park anywhere. Moreover it really grab the attention on the road.

In simple word's all you want is a Driver's car if that's what you want then don't look any further than the Punto as it look's hot and handles even hotter, just take a TD and the best part is it comes with a good amount of Discount's which makes her irresistible[evil]

I would suggest you to go for a sedan or a SUV and within that price range and keeping in mind the current options available XUV 500 is the best option. Since it has a good engine and looks good with a never ending list of features.

Now coming to sedan's i would say Honda Civic and Corolla Altis will be good options. (I am referring the petrol version here). But Honda might launch the new Civic in India anytime. So if you buy the civic and if Honda launches the new civic then your civic will look dated because the new civic was already out in US last year.

And if you are looking for diesel than i would say go for the Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX (O).

Last edited:
@ParC:
Since you drive yourself hence I'd recommend you to go this way:-

Hatch:Polo 1.6 only.(You drive alone and running is also less)
Sedan(Diesel):Skoda Rapid or Chevrolet Cruze.If possible to reach 16 lacs then Skoda Laura M/T.
Sedan(Petrol):Honda City will be the best else Civic or Corolla.
UV:If you like Safari then go for it,else Mahindra XUV is the only recommendation.Yes,you can wait for Storme,but better will be to book XUV and then wait,if Storme comes upa s a good car then cancel XUV else XUV will be yours.

Rest if you need a compact SUV,then go for Skoda Yeti,it will easily fit in your budget and it a fun-to-drive SUV too.
And if you need performance,good responsive engine and fantastic acceleration then go for Laura TSi,it will also fit in your budget of 15 lacs.

How about test driving the Dzire AT, I'm sure it would be easy on the pocket, easy city drivability, compact dimensions, and a smooth running and a silent motor.

Top Bottom