Suggestion for Buying Mitsubishi Lancer (Used)

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm very new to the forum, and i am gonna buy an used car (the first car which will be used by me). I preferably waited long years, to buy a brand new car (that too a Hyundai model). But due to my crush on the lancer (when it was launched) and its enhanced beauty with modification, i am going for it now.

Im impressed with this modified Lancer (see attached pictures):

The car is a 2000 year model. Modified around 8 months back. Now it is in good condition. I cant find any problem in the car related to engine, transmission, suspension, etc. Sound System is a basic one (but i can upgrade it later). Asking price is Rs. 3,75,000.

How much is it worth? What final price i can offer for this car? any body finds any difference in the car specifications or appearance. please provide your suggestions.

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
Welcome aboard, Shadow Boxer. That’s a tastefully modified Lancer. You didn’t mention the variant and kilometers on the odo. Anyways I think the owner is asking too much. 2000 Lancer is not worth more than Rs.1 Lakh. Does this car have performance modifications too apart from exterior enhancements? Be cautious make sure to fully inspect such vehicle. It also seems that the car is repainted so it might be difficult to figure out damages, if any. You should also verify the original colour from RC.

Drive Safe,
350Z

The price seems to be on the higher side. Its a neat sample from outside but as 350Z has said its better to check the records . I generally see the price difference of atleast 50k more in Chennai compared to Delhi for a lancer at least. I have not come across a decent lancer for less than 1.8 lakh here. Generally the ones that I have seen are not well maintained for the price less than 1.8 lakhs. Shadow Boxer ,Does she have the stock 1.5 engine or EVO under hood?

Hi, Zeez,

Lancer is a well allround performer no doubt on that one, as per your details,

like no issues on engine, you can pay hardly 1.5 Lac not more than for 12 yrs old lancer. if you not concern about modification find some other lancer with decent package. try to buy black color lancer winch is very appealing look.

From outside car is looking awesome and I can sense the need you have for this one. But do not make a decision on external beauty. Check what is inside and how effective it is. As 350Z has suggested ensure that everything is in working condition if not in mint condition. For a 12 yrs old car 3.75 lakh is tooooo much. Find another vehicle and get it modified according to your taste.

All the best.

Hi, Zeez,

Lancer is a well allround performer no doubt on that one, as per your details,

like no issues on engine, you can pay hardly 1.5 Lac not more than for 12 yrs old lancer. if you not concern about modification find some other lancer with decent package. try to buy black color lancer winch is very appealing look.
Hey its Shadow Boxer who is looking out for a lancer. I already have a 2002 beauty [:D]. Guess you mistook

Thread Starter #7
Thanks for your input. Actually it's an 2000 year SLXi 1.5 Lancer. I feel pre-2000 lancers are better in terms of build quality than 2005 lancers (due to less localization of parts). The odo reads around 97,000 kms. I think it is ok for a 12 year old lancer?
The original color is something silver or grey (i think).

The car was modified by Autopsyche during Aug'2011, with following modifications:

*Custom Body Kit wit EVO4 Front,*Hood & Grill with a Ferrari Rosso Corsa Red Paintjob
*Projector Headlamps
*Hella 700FF Fog Lamps
*Altezza Tail Lamps
*HRS-466 Hyper Silver 15" Wheels & 205/50/R15 Maxxis MA-Z1 Tires
*Sports Twin Tip Exhaust
*Custom Leather Interior with Mushroom & Red Stitch Seats
*Beige Carpets and Mats
*Black & Mushroom Dash
*Plastics Highlighting

There were no performance modifications done. Sound system is basic. Tires and alloys are basic too.

I hv ridden the car & I felt the ride quality is good. There seems no problem in the engine, transmission & suspension (though i'm not an expert. Not good enough also).

There are no scratches, dents on the body. Interior is pretty clean and neat. All functions and items are working.

Papers are clean.

One thing that is fishy for me is the color of the car, if u see the below links:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150268677132512.343316.78480207511&type=3

U can see the color of the car is Red after modification at Autopsyche (during Aug'2011). That is the original Ferrari paint. But now it is yellow (only the color is different now & all other things are same as in the original pics).

When I had seen the car the owner told me that it (Yellow) is the original Ferrari color he did during modification at Autopsyche. But I found the above links only yesterday (during my intense search in the net). When I saw the car, the yellow painting seems like more than 5~6 months old (atleast).

I haven't called him and asked about the color issue, so far?

Why did he repainted the car almost immediately doing such a modification (the red color excels the yellow in my opinion)?

Why did he covered about the color issue and not informed me during my inspection?

Is there something fishy in it?

Hey that was red hot (in the link). I smell something fishy too. I dont think anybody would have changed that red hot killer into yellow within such a short span but then its just a guess . I know you have fallen in love with lancer but think if this particular is your love. One suggestion would be that you will find a lot of lancers given the rate at which petrol prices are hiking up so try to search for more . Mu$tang one of TAI members had bought one for 1 or just above 1 lakh. As other s have suggested you can get a reasonable sample and mod it the way you want to.

Thread Starter #9
Ya zeez,
Both car are same except the color. Just before seeing the red color, i was so impressed with that car (means yellow one). Now I'm much worried, why he changed the color.

And you guys are talking about stock 2000 models for 1~1.5 lakhs? But what about this car-> it has completely new body (evo4), fresh and new interiors, etc. The car looks and feels as in the pics (except the red paint, which is now yellow). So, if I buy this car how much I can offer?

Oh, by the way, almost everything under the hood is stock, with an
1.5 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya zeez,
Both car are same except the color. Just before seeing the red color, i was so impressed with that car (means yellow one). Now I'm much worried, why he changed the color.

And you guys are talking about stock 2000 models for 1~1.5 lakhs? But what about this car-> it has completely new body (evo4), fresh and new interiors, etc. The car looks and feels as in the pics (except the red paint, which is now yellow). So, if I buy this car how much I can offer?

Oh, by the way, almost everything under the hood is stock, with an
1.5 engine.
If this is in particular has impressed you much and you are in a hurry and given the new petrol price hike I would say max 2L which by itself might be on a higher sider. Senior tai memebers might be the right ppl to comment on this. See the number of pre owned petrol sedan cars coming into market for sale is only on the high which means you will have plenty of options and remember you will have the say or the upper hand in bargaining unlike diesel cars. Generally mod desires vary from person to person which means once you mod you are taking a risk that you cannot expect much returns for ur creativity in mods. So dont have the price what the seller quotes before bargaining decide your price . I can understand that there is a huge gap in the prices . Again this is just my cents . Let me tell you my personal experience I picked up a pre owned 2002 glxi in the year 2007 december for 3.45 L it was in pristine condition had covered only 23k. I knew it was on the higher side but believe me this was the cheapest i got after searching for 6 months and under 40k on the odo.Things are not the same now. You have plenty of samples now and cheaper as well.

I would like to cut short my advice by summarizing in a few points:

1. Check out the RC details of the car including service history etc.
  2. Do clear up the color issue. May be the owner was too concerned about the look and didnt like the red color. I guess the same can also be verified with Autophyche.
  3. IMO the best price for this car should be 2 lacs max. If the owner doesn't agree, no issues, you can get another stock used lancer and spent the rest amount on mods. There are a lot of car modifiers out there in market who do a wonderful job.

Lancer is anyday a head turner. Price quoted is way high for the car of this age. Max you can pay is anything less than 2.5L (if the mechancials are in good condition)

Else, get a stock lancer for 1.2L~1.5L + Body kits + paint job for another 50k+

If you are buying a lancer and to modify and found a modified lancer, Then add the costs * deprication the original seller might have done towards modifications which you dont need to do again.

I have a lancer which I got from a direct seller an year before for 2,25,000.

Find the below costs before driving to conclusions that all LANCERS COST ~1 LAKH.

Approximate prices I have spent on GLXi immediately after purchase.
Genuine Leather 35,000
Alloy wheels(5 Nos) 20,000
Tires(5 Nos) 18000
films for Windows and Visor(Ice cool for better heat insulation) 10000
Floor Mat - 1000+

And recently spent on clutch, engine mount, and lower arm close to 20,000
Music systems upgrade cost me(20,000)
Its an year before so I am giving here the closest values I remember.

Just see without a painting job, headlight upgrade, It came more than 3,00,000.

I am not saying the sellers quote are correct. But What I am saying is 'NOT ALL LANCER CARS CAN BE VALUED AT BELOW 1.5 lAKHS' may not be appropriate.

If you are not looking for those modifications the seller had done earlier, then you can ask for whatever book value you can go for.
But if you are going to do the modifications and you like the modifications he had done earlier, IMHO you may keep the above figures in mind and negotiate accordingly to get a GOOD DEAL.

@ UsedCarFleet You are awesome man very nice detailed expense list and explained nicely good to see guys like you on board welcome
@ Shadow Boxer If you love that car go for it man you can give max of 2.5-2.75 lakh for that car . No one will sell this type of modded car for 1.5 lakh unless if there is something fishy.

If you are buying a lancer and to modify and found a modified lancer, Then add the costs * deprication the original seller might have done towards modifications which you dont need to do again.

I have a lancer which I got from a direct seller an year before for 2,25,000.

Find the below costs before driving to conclusions that all LANCERS COST ~1 LAKH.

Approximate prices I have spent on GLXi immediately after purchase.
Genuine Leather 35,000
Alloy wheels(5 Nos) 20,000
Tires(5 Nos) 18000
films for Windows and Visor(Ice cool for better heat insulation) 10000
Floor Mat - 1000+

And recently spent on clutch, engine mount, and lower arm close to 20,000
Music systems upgrade cost me(20,000)
Its an year before so I am giving here the closest values I remember.

Just see without a painting job, headlight upgrade, It came more than 3,00,000.

I am not saying the sellers quote are correct. But What I am saying is 'NOT ALL LANCER CARS CAN BE VALUED AT BELOW 1.5 lAKHS' may not be appropriate.

If you are not looking for those modifications the seller had done earlier, then you can ask for whatever book value you can go for.
But if you are going to do the modifications and you like the modifications he had done earlier, IMHO you may keep the above figures in mind and negotiate accordingly to get a GOOD DEAL.

Dude,
Just a Q out of curiosity. Which year model did u buy and what color?

Top Bottom