Suggest ICE For 5 Years Old Alto

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys..

as the tittle suggest i need help/advice regarding new ICE unit for my 5 years alto gifted by mom this month..i dont want to spend a massive amount at the moment as i will sell the car in about a year. So i have already bought JBL 950si 3way coaxial speakers from a e-retailer for my rear tray.

Now please suggest a new budget HU unit without cd player which can power 950si's.

Secondly i need suggestion for front speakers of 4'' inch for dash board.

thanks =)

Re: Suggest ICE for 5 years alto

Hi guys..

as the tittle suggest i need help/advice regarding new ICE unit for my 5 years alto gifted by mom this month..i dont want to spend a massive amount at the moment as i will sell the car in about a year. So i have already bought JBL 950si 3way coaxial speakers from a e-retailer for my rear tray.

Now please suggest a new budget HU unit without cd player which can power 950si's.

Secondly i need suggestion for front speakers of 4'' inch for dash board.

thanks =)
Hello and welcome to TAI [:D]

This is the best option in 4 inch speakers http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-4-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0R6GQ
Best budget HU Pioneer MVH-X179UI: Amazon.in: Electronics

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

thanks for reply :)

the speaker which you have suggested aren't avalaible online, out of stock everywhere. i will try to find it here in local shops but chances are slim. Can you please suggest some other brands/models in minimum price.
about the HU , will it be enough for JBL 950? and i was also looking at same model from pioneer together with Blaupunkt Tokyo-110 cost around 2649 in Snapdeal which has inbuilt preamp but i have no idea the advantage of having preamp. [confused]

What Saroya has suggested is Good unfortunately lot of online speakers are slowly turning out to be fake when real professionals are looking at them.So try picking up headunit & front speakers from a car audio shop, So install wont be charged extra.
Just tell them you want basic system for parents car & go to a couple of stores, let them give you a quote. Then go to the best store & get your install done. People try online out of fear of accessories stores being unreasonable. But everything has pros & cons.

thanks for reply :)

the speaker which you have suggested aren't avalaible online, out of stock everywhere. i will try to find it here in local shops but chances are slim. Can you please suggest some other brands/models in minimum price.
about the HU , will it be enough for JBL 950? and i was also looking at same model from pioneer together with Blaupunkt Tokyo-110 cost around 2649 in Snapdeal which has inbuilt preamp but i have no idea the advantage of having preamp. [confused]
Another option is Hertz
Blaupunkt is also good but i will suggest either pioneer or JVC HU for awesome sound quality with lots of useful functions and settings.
Almost all HUs produce around 20-22 watts RMS power only. HUs can produce good quality sound without amp. But you can see HUs alone cannot produce enough power to get even 50% power out of those speakers. If you want louder sound, only then you need to install an amp.

Thread Starter #6
What Saroya has suggested is Good unfortunately lot of online speakers are slowly turning out to be fake when real professionals are looking at them.So try picking up headunit & front speakers from a car audio shop, So install wont be charged extra.
Just tell them you want basic system for parents car & go to a couple of stores, let them give you a quote. Then go to the best store & get your install done. People try online out of fear of accessories stores being unreasonable. But everything has pros & cons.
what you are saying is mostly correct. but right now i am in Guwahati.. and local shops do try to take advantage of bumping the price by 1.5 to 2k compared to online or shops from delhi.

So i had to order jbl speakers from flipkart which was on sale few days back. otherwise i am sure i will have to pay more than 5-6k for the same speaker.

what i can do is that order HU unit as suggested by @saroya again from online and buy front speakers from a local shop. last i checked they have only sony speakers for front which cost around 1200 to 1500 and i dont know how much they will really worth to paired with JBL which i know its pretty decent speakers.

Another option is Hertz
Blaupunkt is also good but i will suggest either pioneer or JVC HU for awesome sound quality with lots of useful functions and settings.
Almost all HUs produce around 20-22 watts RMS power only. HUs can produce good quality sound without amp. But you can see HUs alone cannot produce enough power to get even 50% power out of those speakers. If you want louder sound, only then you need to install an amp.
thanks for your suggestion. i will certainly order pioneer HU by tomorrow.

one thing i want to know.. amplifier works independently or have to paired to HU's ? sorry for noob question, coz in future i will surely get under seat 4 channel amp by next year may be. and i dont want to chage the whole set up from point A

Another option is Hertz .
can you please suggest me some more models. the one way you have suggested are not available in online. snapdeal has it but they wont ship. :( and rest out of stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggest ICE for 5 years alto

Let me help you here Skillrex.

So you've got an Alto with JBL 6X9 Coaxials currently, and looking for a basic set of 4" Coaxials along with a decent 1DIN HU. Also I think you are planning to sell off the car in a year and at the same time, upgrade the system by adding an amplifier. Maybe you are thinking of moving this system to your next car. Right?

Head Unit -

Stick with functional 1DIN Head Units from Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood or Sony. Usually JVC and Pioneer are leaders in low budget Head Units and would cost you under 3.5k if offering basic Aux and USB functions. You can order them online but first check the variety and pricing of them in local shops near your place, so as to get an idea of what to look out for in online stores.

Speakers -

Actually 4" speakers won't be any good when compared to your JBL Coaxials, unless you go for a really high-end 4" coaxial which would cost more and impress less as compared to 6.5" speakers. I would say get a set of basic components, which would cost upto 3.5-4k for a set of JBL, Pioneer or Sony. If not, get basic 6/6.5" 2 way Coaxials that would cost a bit less than the components. You will have to cut your car's doorpad to accomodate the bigger speakers though. If not willing to modify the stock locations in the car, go for Polk Audio, Sony or Pioneer (I think they are available in 4"). You can listen to them at shops and then decide. Price for 4" Coaxials would be upto 1.5k only, don't worry.

Wiring would cost you around 1000 extra, depending on the quality.

And regarding some of the questions you asked, RCA Preout is useful in case you want to add an amplifier later on in the setup. That amplifier is connected to the head unit via the RCA Preouts only. It's better to get at least 1 Preout if you are looking for a future upgrade.

Top Bottom