Suggest Best Hatch Back for Hilly Terrain

Thread Starter #1
dear all hello,

i am belong to shimla , here we have rough zig zag roads.
so need a car with good pickup, handling , power and suspension . currently i have bolero and maruti 800. i am replacing 800 with new one.

i would prefer
1. vw polo ( cc 1198, TR 4.9, 75BHP@5400RPM, GROOUND CL 168mm
2. i 20 (cc 1197, tr 4.8, 80@5200, gc not sure)
3 swift ( cc1197, tr 4.8, 80@6000. gc 170mm)

please suggest a good car for hilly terrain. i would love to go for POLO but only thing POLO has 3 cyl as comparision I20 & SWIFT has 4 , but cc is same for all three .

please please help.

Hello Nithin, Welcome to TAI.

For hilly terrains, hatches with good GC is preferred. So both i20 and Polo gives its hand to Swift, you can also try with Ritz.

you short listed only petrol models.Why there is no diesel ?
He owns Bolero already, so Petrol hatch makes better choice.

Driving near Shimla..hmm..
Why don't you consider a diesel hatch?They are always easier to drive in hills and require lesser gearshifts.

Rest out of your list,its the Swift for me any day.I have driven Swift,i-20, and Polo 1.6 in hills and both were nowhere as good as Swift.

Swift can be driven anywhere haven't heard good review about i20 but also consider Ford Figo (petrol/Diesel).

How about considering SUV like Scorpio, XUV? i guess they are best for Hilly and off road drive.

but also consider Ford Figo (petrol/Diesel).
Hey Figo is one such car which shouldn't be used in the hill stations, every pot holes fills up sorrow in your heart.
(That's what we faced with fiesta when we took it to hilly areas.)
So better try to avoid cars with lower GCs especially in hill stations.

BTW guys,how many hilly roads are really bad?
I find most of them driveable enough for even a City..

Rest,for hilly terrain its still better to go for a diesel car(on hills we need torque more than revs),rest for petrol..its the Swift(1.2K is also not that good but the older 1.3 engine was great for hilly roads).And if not Swift then its the Hyundai i-10 1.2 Kappa.

I would say with a diesel hatch since you will have to shift lesser then the petrol ones and my choice is Swift any day.

Hey Figo is one such car which shouldn't be used in the hill stations, every pot holes fills up sorrow in your heart.
(That's what we faced with fiesta when we took it to hilly areas.)
So better try to avoid cars with lower GCs especially in hill stations.

Oopps that terrible thanks for correcting me [clap]

To OP think between Swift or Ritz i have seen shimla roads and peoples driving few days back on IRT deadliest roads its very terrible, peoples try to get overpass anyhow [evil]

Last edited:
For the hills, I would recommend a diesel hatch with good drivability.

Avoid the i20. Have a look at the Polo, Micra, Pulse and Figo, all diesel variants. A.S.S. of Micra and Pulse will not be great.

@Supreet:
You have fixed budget or can opt for a sedan too?
If yes,then just give a look to T-Jet,its a hoot to drive on winding hilly roads...

Top Bottom