Strange Smell From Air Conditioner

Re: Strange Smell from AC

Probably you guys will laugh at this, but I have very simple solution to this. All you need is lemon tree leaves some water and a sprayer (one which hair cutting salon guys use)

Procedure
1. Soak the leaves over the night in water(crush the leaves before putting those in water)
2. In the morning filter out the water and fill that water in the spray bottle.
3. Spray it in your a/c vents.
4. Practice this for 2 days. You will be saved from the odor for a month or so

I practice this every month and it saves me from that odor. Total cost is nothing and lemon tree leaves are anti bacterial and acts as a natural deodorant.

How to Remove Foul Smell After i switch off the A.C

Hi Peeps i've been Facing this problem right from the first day in my hyundai fluidic verna.

The moment i switch off the A.C,the blower blows air with a foul smell and the smell goes off once i switch the A.C back on!

My Friends keep Complaining that my car stinks!! how embarrassing! [frustration]

Has anyone been Facing Such problem? [confused]

350Z

Core Team

Note: Threads Merged. Saurabh, Please refer to the previous posts here. Perhaps they would help.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Saurabh it could be fungus or some other stuff that grow in the filter (if it has one) or on the coil itself while being stored for months at the godown. Jest ask the service guys to clean them rite. If there car aint running much there is bound to be some smell from stagnation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saurabh it could be fungus or some other stuff that grow in the filter (if it has one) or on the coil itself while being stored for months at the godown. Jest ask the service guys to clean them rite. If there car aint running much there is bound to be some smell from stagnation.

i told the service guy, he said as your car is new that smell comes from the metallic parts. but i don't think so. i think it is some kind of fungus which is giving a bad smell.

Verna Owners Please Share your views. are you all facing the same problem?

350Z

Core Team

Yesterday for the first time I experienced this problem (in Fiesta) but it was emitting a stinking smell after switching off the AC while blower was still turned on.

Drive Safe,
350Z

There is a simple solution.

Just turn the heater mode to extreme heat, air flow mode towards windshield.

And turn ON heat in full blast for 2-3 minutes.

Simple any bacteria and bad odour will go off, simple.

This is what i was advised during maintenance tip at A.S.S.

hi guys,
i own swift from Nov 2011 , from past two months i am getting smell of dust , just like start of monsoon , from starting ac, we have lot of roads dug up, where could be the problem. and even the car was new i never felt fresh as in my friends zen,

thanks

hi guys,
i own swift from Nov 2011 , from past two months i am getting smell of dust , just like start of monsoon , from starting ac, we have lot of roads dug up, where could be the problem. and even the car was new i never felt fresh as in my friends zen,

thanks
Tell the A.S.S you visit to check the deflection plate, that needs some correction under the hood.

Which allows only fresh air through the inlet.

Get the filter of AC cleaned of dust that's present if any.

They clean it with water.

For better cooling one must spray water on the front of radiator, this increases cooling of AC, if dust has accumulated.

Did you meant dust actually?

The procedure to follow , after turning of AC is to switch off AC, and then let the blower run for 30secs, and don't switch off the ignition.

This ensures all the charger material circulates and goes back to the same position.

Last edited:

Hi Fellow members,

I too am facing similar issues with my AC. I own a second hand Tata Indigo 2006 model. I dont know if the previous owner has serviced the AC or not.
Recently i also am getting dust smell from the AC. This occurs only when the AC is turned on. There is no ouder smell when Blower is turned on or in Recirculation mode.
I clean the engine compartment regularly with water on every alternate weekends.
I also pour water in the AC fins while cleaning the engine compartment.
Is this practice safe ? Does washing the AC fins with water also one of the components causing this dust odur while the AC is turned on ?

I visited a AC service shop near my locality. He advided me to do a complete AC servicing. Which includes removing the dashboard, cleaning the AC coil, filling oil, n filling gas, etc. He quoted me 2,500/- for it.
The service person told me that the AC needs to be serviced around 50K - 60K, because dusts gets accumulated in the AC coil and due to which this occurs.
My vehicle has clocked 46K.

Experts kindly advice what will be the best remedy.
As suggested above The Lemon Technique or shall i go for the complete AC servicing, or any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Another easy solution. Just when you are about to reach your destination, say home, switch off the AC leaving only the blowers on. This enables the residual water droplets to vanish.

freakdude.

Hi freakdude,
I generally follow the same practice, I leave the blowers on for generally 1 min till the radiator fan stops. This also is recommended for vehicles having Turbo engines.
This smell from AC vents only arrises when the AC is turned on, and it vanishes after a min or two.
So would it be the AC coil which has dust sediments ?
Where is the AC coil located, under the dashboard or in engine compartment where there is the AC radiator ?

For the last two weeks my car is having the same issue that some of you are facing and at intervals. Mostly after driving some 30Kms at a stretch from start, a smell, somewhat like LPG comes out through the vents. If I switch off the air conditioner for some 5 minutes and switch it back on, the smell disappears. I had got the air conditioner unit serviced two months back.

Last edited:

Hi freakdude,
I generally follow the same practice, I leave the blowers on for generally 1 min till the radiator fan stops. This also is recommended for vehicles having Turbo engines.
This smell from AC vents only arrises when the AC is turned on, and it vanishes after a min or two.
So would it be the AC coil which has dust sediments ?
Where is the AC coil located, under the dashboard or in engine compartment where there is the AC radiator ?
Ohh! If that is the case then most probably the coil/vents has some fungi accumulated. You can try out the lemon leaves formula that somebody had mentioned and see.

freakdude.

After a long/ short drive with ac on, before shutting off the engine, switch off ac and keep the blower running for some time. This will prevent condensation of water(which causes smell). Excessive water clogging also reduces cooling effect.

Top Bottom