Strange Dilemma: Harley vs Nano vs Swift vs Rapid!

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
I am in a strange dilemma.
I am on the verge of buying my new set of wheels and I have been awaiting the delivery of My harley davidson superlow sometime next month, meanwhile I had also booked a swift ZDi almost a year ago and had postponed taking the delivery of the car since i wanted the Harley first ( which was due in April but is delayed to end of June)
I have been happily driving my alto K10 Vxi till now ( reviews here )
but then my wife arrived and claimed ownership of the alto [frustration] and i am on the verge of going vehicleless for the first time 15 years after i got my drivers license!
Now that monsoon is approaching I feel it is wiser to get a car and get the Harley after 4 months when the riding season starts again .
My dilemma is as follows.
my budget for this year is about 10lakhs
1.should i buy a tata nano for my daily commute as i seem to like the 2012 version a lot and it has a lot of scope for some mods and get the harley after 4 months with the money i save?
2.should i get the swift zdi as it is cost effective and better value in the long run and then get the harley next year? ( well i am bored of seeing so many swifts in the road and i want to ride the harley soon :)
3. I checked out the skoda rapid recently and felt it is a real good value for money. we needed a diesel sedan for the family and felt this fits the bill perfectly but that means i will have to delay my harley plans for atleast a year to recover financially if i spend more than 10L on the car itself.
4. rent or borrow a car for the monsoon from someone and then get my harely after 4 months and keep my money in a fixed deposit and buy a car before next monsoon?
I am not considering any other car or bikes..
i am really confused and i need to decide in 2 weeks..

Re: harley davidson vs swift Zdi vs nano 2012 vs skoda rapid

My suggestion; go for a 4 wheeler.
I would suggest you to go for a sedan as you already have a small car in your family. So go for the Rapid. If you can stretch your budget a bit do check out the Verna Fluidic CRDi. As of now keep aside the Harley idea. Go for it next year.
Also if you want to go for the Harley soon; then get it after monsoons. Till then use the public transport.

Re: Harley Davidson vs Swift ZDi vs Nano vs Skoda Rapid

My suggestion since you are concerned about costs,just let some one in the showroom know if anyone is selling off a Harley,they go for amazing prices especially the 20 lakh rupee bikes.But some of the Harley boys here seem to be loosing interest in there bikes,so decent number of bikes out there.

The Rapid is a decent car the Mid variant with Abs is a bang for the buck pick.

I would suggest you to buy nano as it's a pure VFM product and after 4 months you can enjoy the twin cylinder beast, A biker will always be a biker.
RIDE HARD OR STAY AT HOME

I would also suggest you to buy a Nano for your regular commuting and go in for the Harley (first hand or second hand).

Any reason for not considering other cars, you have listed out only Rapid, swift and nano (which is no match in the listed cars).
Also you have mentioned your budget as 10lac then go for better options but before sort out between petrol and diesel version of cars.

Bring home Vento or Verna this monsoon or Little less try for Linea, Fiesta as my better option.

Get Harley man, it's better to be drenched in rain while riding it. If car is badly needed then buy a nano or any 2nd hand car for time being.

If you postpone your Harley now then it may be case it can get postponed forever. If you delay a car, the delay would be temporary as everyone in family will support for car.

Even I have dream to own a Harley but only after wrapping up housing loan :)

Hi all,
I am in a strange dilemma.
I am on the verge of buying my new set of wheels and I have been awaiting the delivery of My harley davidson superlow sometime next month, meanwhile I had also booked a swift ZDi almost a year ago and had postponed taking the delivery of the car since i wanted the Harley first ( which was due in April but is delayed to end of June)
I have been happily driving my alto K10 Vxi till now ( reviews here )
but then my wife arrived and claimed ownership of the alto and i am on the verge of going vehicleless for the first time 15 years after i got my drivers license!
Now that monsoon is approaching I feel it is wiser to get a car and get the Harley after 4 months when the riding season starts again .
My dilemma is as follows.
my budget for this year is about 10lakhs
1.should i buy a tata nano for my daily commute as i seem to like the 2012 version a lot and it has a lot of scope for some mods and get the harley after 4 months with the money i save?
2.should i get the swift zdi as it is cost effective and better value in the long run and then get the harley next year? ( well i am bored of seeing so many swifts in the road and i want to ride the harley soon :)
3. I checked out the skoda rapid recently and felt it is a real good value for money. we needed a diesel sedan for the family and felt this fits the bill perfectly but that means i will have to delay my harley plans for atleast a year to recover financially if i spend more than 10L on the car itself.
4. rent or borrow a car for the monsoon from someone and then get my harely after 4 months and keep my money in a fixed deposit and buy a car before next monsoon?
I am not considering any other car or bikes..
i am really confused and i need to decide in 2 weeks..
Ho Ho [lol]

I used to think that I am the biggest confused person ever. Thanks for proving me wrong. (Hey, please take it as a compliment[:)]).

Ok, coming to your query, seriously speaking if you can afford then go for point number 4 in your list.

Swift- is a good car but too common.
Nano- again you need to really see whether it is required or not.
Rapid- again a good car but you have to delay your Harley for that. People in general do not buy Harley often but hatch or sedan based on their individual needs.

So weigh your requirements before making a call.

If you ask me frankly. GO FOR HARRRRLLLLYYYYY [glasses]

go for nano man,
never get yourself a second hand vehicle.
nano is true VFM.

and i am pretty sure, you are not going to ride nano one you got your HD !

so, better to save some bucks and use it for shining your HD when you got it.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks all guys I've got so many inputs in such a short time.
Well I don't like Hyundai coz. I feel their small cars are good but the sedans lag behind in terms of erformance and handling. And also I am not a big fan of the curvy curvy designs of Hyundai prefer European cars for their simpler lines as I feel they age better.
Nano will be my stop gap measure for this year, if I buy it then I may give it my dad a yr later and exchange his 10yr old wagon R for a diesel sedan.

My logic is I have save on the cost of the car (nano) if I buy a petrol car or if I spend more on the car ( diesel rapid) then I can save on running costs. Tell me if this makes sense !
I am surprised that no one is talking about the swift.. The bestselling car in india right now!!!
Surprised that nobody

I am surprised that no one is talking about the swift.. The bestselling car in india right now!!!
Surprised that nobody
Its seems to be a strange confusion ! nano vs rapid vs swift
Tata Nano 2012 seems to have improved a lot but the main thing haunting the sale is the tag "lowest priced car" .But when it comes to the reality its not that low priced.[:D] LX variant would be around 2.30 lakhs on road.
Swift Nano and Rapid belong to 3 different leagues(we all know that ).
Swift ZDi would be reliaible safe buy ! A sensible man's long term buy.
Nano ! I dont know what to comment on that ! Nano 2012 might be good !But the 660cc engine is not either going to inspire me or get me the confidence to drive through steep hilly road(stop and go situations) especially in the state of Kerala where many roads are fillled with potholes. I am a person who opted for a new maruti 800 in 2012 as my daily ride for my commutation(had a budget of only 2 lakhs).
Rapid ! A nice choice when you are checking out for a sedan ! Don't know how the After Sales would be ! Its People who have Skoda cars who could comment on that.

Top Bottom