Stop Gap Car for P3T3R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Those of you who have read

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-bike-shopper/4412-replacement-siena.html ,

will know that my

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/1537-fiat-siena-1-6-elx.html

has been sold and I am going in for a "Big German" upgrade. However due to limited funds at the moment, this will be done in 6-7 months time. Since I have no car to use, I'm currently using the

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/1310-red-hot-alto-spice.html

I'm not very tall (just 183cms) but driving the Alto is a torture. Even with the seat fully pushed back, the driving position is really cramped. Add to that the rattles everywhere and the fact that the car does not have central locking, power windows (never installed) and ICE (transferred to my sisters Wagon R). The car was to be sold anyway, just delayed as i had nothing to drive. Anyway I hope to finalize the sale in a few days.

That brings me to the main question; What do I drive until my "Big German" upgrade? Obviously I want something cheap and comfortable. Based on the experience of

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...1-p3t3rs-crystal-white-i10-kappa2-sportz.html

I am quite comfortable with Hyundai so decided on picking up a used Santro. My wife was quite keen on an Automatic and so the hunt started.

Found a Yellow 2007 model with front power windows. It had alloys and new tyres. Odo reading was 24K. Looking at the condition, it didn't look right. Seemed to be used a lot more. The silencer had a hole, front bumper was scratched and rear hatch was repainted. Checked with Hyundai and as per the history the Odo reading was 31K in 2008. The odo was clocked. Price 2.3L

Next checked out a 2000 model with only AC (non power steering). The car was repainted (green to black). 60K genuine Kms used by a lady. Car was really smooth. However dropped it due to no power steering. Price 1.1L

Another 2000 model, this time top end. However the car had done 1.25L Kms and was not in very good condition. The front LH door inside bottom was corroded and also the asking price was too much. 1.25 Lakh (1 rupee for every km[:D])

Today checking out a Getz 1.3 2006. The Getz guy has said to see the vehicle and give my offer. It's done 1L kms but full service history is available at Hyundai. Last service was done on 24th of this month.

Tomorrow I will check out a top model 2004 Xing done 60K kms. Asking price 1.5L

Will keep updating as I check out the cars.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Ok. Just checked out the Getz. It's done 1.15L Kms. The car looks clean and well maintained. Has got basic ICE, art leather seats, no remote locking. Owner is a Police officer.
Funny thing happened when I went to see the car. I was told to go to a hospital wher the car would be. Someone else was using the car. However the person didn't turn up. I called and he told me that the person would be there in 15 mins. I waited and called after 20min and he said the person would be there soon. After 30 min I got fed up and tried calling again but he was not picking up. I left the place thinking that he was some broker and just up some tricks. I later managed to call him and gave him a piece of my mind including a few abuses. He then said he was a police officer and asked why I was talking to him like that. He also started yelling. I then apologized and told him to calm down. After my apology he also started talking politely and told me he was in a meeting and could not attend to my calls. But he said "you should not have used such words as I have not used them". We sorted out the misunderstanding with no hard feelings.
Anyway after the TD called him again and asked him the price. He said sellers expectation is always high so you give me your offer. I told him that I will not pay more than the market value of the car. He then said, "If you know the market value, tell me." I said I will check and revert. I also told him I was checking other cars and would let him know my decision.
Any suggestions what I should offer him? The car is the version before the Prime.

I feel the Xing would be a better choice as it has done 60k kms till now.
True but only if the 60K kms are genuine and not clocked. The guy seems to be a broker as he also has another car for sale. The Getz is genuine 1.15L Kms. I verified earlier from Hyundai. Moreover all servicings till date have been done at HASS. Didn't see the papers but being a Policeman it should be in order. Anyway I will check those later.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
ilango[speed thirst];96862 said:
Any idea what was the market price of getz then?
The last of the Getz Prime 1.1's were sold for 4L. This is the 1.3 GLS (pre-facelift) which was a little more expensive than the Swift VXi I think.

Just look at the IDV of the car in the insurance copy to get a fair idea about the price , offer something below that.

Thread Starter #11
ilango[speed thirst];97134 said:
imo , pricy.
Ok. How much is it worth?

Since after 1L kms you need to change , 4 tyres , clutch assy , bearings , bushes near wheels and other areas , suspension etc.
I can check if any of these jobs have been done as the car has been regularly serviced at the dealership only.

yeah i feel 1.20 to 1.30 , and rest some 20 to 30 k to bring back to life.

remember any 2nd hand car need some 30k to bring back to our satisfaction.

If everything is alright , then the previous owner will not sell!

Thread Starter #14
1.20 L, try to bargain.
ilango[speed thirst];97200 said:
yeah i feel 1.20 to 1.30 , and rest some 20 to 30 k to bring back to life.
1.2 is what I'll offer.

remember any 2nd hand car need some 30k to bring back to our satisfaction.

If everything is alright , then the previous owner will not sell!
I don't think I will spend on this car as I'm going to sell soon.

BTW the Santro Automatic was advertised again yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom