As my new car launch has been delayed, I'm reviving this thread. I was planning to pick up a new car when I got home in September. However the car will only be launched by the year end. That's when my leave ends leaving me no time to drive the car. So my only option is to pick up the car after my next assignment. That would be somewhere in May 2013. I'll be home from September till mid January and I need a car. This time it has to be diesel as I already have an i10. My options are:
1) Used Octavia 1.9 TDi. Sell it when I get my new car.
2) Used Punto / Polo / Fabia / Figo. Sell the i10 when I get my new car and keep this one for my wife. Now I will loose on the i10 as the car depriciates the maximum in the first 2 years but then the car I buy will have lost an equal amout too. So my loss cancels out.
3) Used Indica / Uno Diesel. Buy dirt cheap and don't worry about re-sale.
4) Any other options.
Since this plan is for a year, I need the option where I incur the minimum loss.
Here's why I ruled it out:
1. Secondhand Swifts are too expensive and the ones for sale are abused. Besides at around 60K Kms the fuel pump is known to fail and replacement is expensive.
2. It's too common.
3. Unsafe in an accident.
4. It rattles.
5. It's a MARUTI (even though it has a Fiat Engine). Don't want another Maruti.