Steps To Renew Driver's License in Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
A. When to renew ?
Better start within 30 days before expiry date. Even after expiry date DL can be renewed with penalty. Verified this at both "KA04-Yeshwantpura and KA50-Yelahanka RTOs".

B. Check if your DL in centralized database ?
1. Your DL should have a 15 (or is it 16 ?) digit DL Number, starting with the 'State' followed by 'Issuing RTO', 'Year Issued' followed by a 7 digit number. In my case, DL number has 15 digit. Download the "mParivahan App" and check DL. My 2008 issued DL number was KA-04/F/abcde/2008; I tried KA04200800abcde and it was not in data base.
3. If DL is in data base, go to Para C.
4. If DL is NOT in data base, consult a LOCAL Driving School, "which RTO you need to go to, based on Address". My DL was from KA-04, but my residence comes under KA-50.
5. THEN go to RTO with "Originals and photo copies of DL, Age & Address Proof". They will create a "Application Number" for "DL BACKLOG ENTRY" to bring your DL to Data Base.
6. Use the "mParivahan App" to check if your DL appears. For me it appeared on the 3rd day. If it does, then go to next Para.

C. Preparing Attachments:
1. Form 1a:
1.a) Go to website https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/en/content/download-forms and download Form 1a. Note: No need to print and fill by hand Forms-9 & 1.
1.b) Fill it and get it approved by any Registered Doctor (For me my Company Doctor certified).
1.c) Ensure that the Dr :

• signs across your photo in the 1st page
  • writes his/her Regn Nr in 2nd page,
  • strikes out the line stating "applicant is NOT medically fit", and
  • affixes "Rubber Stamp" at two places.
Note: I find my Rubber Stamp has more value than me in my Co [lol]

2. Scan Form 1a:
2.a) Scan the two pages as JPG files.
2.b) I used "PhotoScape" to combine both JPG files into a SINGLE JPG image, one below other.
2.c) Keep file size to within 500 kB.

3. Scan "Photo, Sign & Address Proof":
3.a) Photo size should be "Width:35mm and Height: 45mm"
3.b) Scan your Photo and Signature to JPG file to 420 x 525 pixels (preferred).
3.c) Sign within dimensions "Width: 35mm and Height:10.6 mm"
3.d) Scan Signature to Width 256 pixels x Height 64 pixels (preferred).
3.e) REMEMBER to keep the file size to within 20 kB (which age they are in ?).

• Both PhotoScape and MS Picture Manager FAILED to get this right.
  • So, I used GIMP Image Editor to restrict file sizes to within 20 kB each.
  • Ask Google "exactly what you want to do in GIMP" and you will learn.
3.f) Address Proof:
  • Scan the hard copy of Aadhar and save ONLY as a JPG file of size within 500 kB.
  • The website said pdf was OK, but pdf format was WRONG. I wasted a full day trying to upload a pdf file.

D. Applying on-line:
3. Go to website https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice8/stateSelection.do
2. Choose the State. In the next screen, you will find "Driving License), and below it "Apply Online".
3. Click the "small v shaped arrow" and locate "Services on Driving License Renewal/Duplicate/blah blah".
4. There are 18 options including RENEWAL OF DL, CHANGE OF ADDRESS etc.
5. From here onwards, it is self explanatory. Note down the Application Number.
6. Upload all attachments.
7. Pay (based on your options, amount changes).
8. Print out the "on-line receipt" and "on-line Filled Form".

E. Go to RTO:
1. Buy a typical Office File Folder (made of paper) and an office tag.
2. Buy a Envelope for "Self Address"
3. Buy a Plastic cover for attaching original DL.
4. These four will be available near the RTO.
5. File contents:

• Your Org DL in Plastic Cover
  • Self Addressed Envelope
  • on-line receipt
  • on-line Filled Form
  • Doctor's Certificate in Original
  • Photo Copies of "DL and Aadhar"
F. Final Mission - My 4th visit to RTO:
1. With ALL above, I met ARTO in Yelahanka RTO. I was asked to go to the Ground Floor and buy a Hologram for Rs.49. This is fee for Smart DL Card (mentioned in website too)
2. With this sticker on my File, I went back to ARTO. I was told to get "envelope and Plastic Cover". I went to nearby shops, got them and came back to ARTO.
3. After verification, I went to Biometrics in Ground Floor, where my photo was taken (better than Aadhar Grade Photo .... Yayyyyy) and my digital Sign was captured. The in-charge will scribble his sign on your File. Ensure THIS.
4. Once I took the File back to ARTO, it was verified file once again. The ARTO opened parivahan website in office PC, entered the Application Number and did some "tick ... tick .... tick" marks on-line . ARTO signed on my Application and asked me to hand over the file to a Clerk outside.
5. This Clerk checked the file for ALL Signatures, entered my details in a Register, filled out a Paper DL and handed over to me.
6. This Paper DL is valid for 30 Days, by which time I am supposed to get the renewed DL.

Mission accomplished [clap].
The Paper DL below:

DL Paper Mar 2018.jpg

PS:

1. If you have changed address, you need to visit RTO minimum twice : first regarding Backlog and next for Final Mission. I went four times overall. Two trips were to remind them to clear the backlog. But, I enjoyed those short trips on my Bike after a long long time.
  2. Member MoRa has written about his experience at Yeshwantpur RTO (KA-04) at this link.

Thread Starter #2
Re: Steps to Renew DL in Bangalore

Correction in PS-1:
If your DL is not in Data Base, you need to visit RTO minimum twice...

Note: If DL is in already in Data Base but if your have changed address, you can apply for "CHANGE OF ADDRESS" while renewing DL.

Re: Steps to Renew DL in Bangalore

Correction in PS-1:
If your DL is not in Data Base, you need to visit RTO minimum twice...

Note: If DL is in already in Data Base but if your have changed address, you can apply for "CHANGE OF ADDRESS" while renewing DL.
Now Change of Address in License within Karnataka or Licenses issued outside Karnataka is relatively easier. The process is similar to above and NOC is NOT required if you have Aadhaar Card with Local address.

Thread Starter #4
I forgot to update. My DL got delivered on 28th April. It took more than a month, from the date of issuing me a 'Paper Licence" till it reached my residence.

Everything is proper in the DL, but, I'll have to renew it in 5 year's time.

It's gonna be Fun to update THIS thread 5 years from now.

I did apply for renewal of my DL on 21st April 2018 ( expiry date 16th May 2018) in Mangalore.

Went to RTO at 10.30 am, no form was available and not any one at help desk.
Some one told me I get the form outside the RTO where Xerox shop is located. He gave me 2 forms , one for renewal( 2 pages) and another for Medical test ( 2 pages) and also gave me a self - addressed envelop with Rs 18 postal stamp and a small plastic envelop to keep my present smart plastic DL. He charged Rs 35.

I filled up the form, took hardly 5 minutes. Xerox shopwala told me I can get the medical form filled by RTO Doctor, just behind. went there, his assistant asked me to relax under a fan, took the form inside and came out in 3 minutes with doctor's signature, seal etc showing RTO Police Doctor and asked me to pay Rs 50. The Doctor did not even see my face, just filled up the form, signed, put the seal and the charge was just Rs 50.

Then I went to the Cash pay counter and stood there for 45 minutes, this is the only place where it takes time. The charges were Rs 400 for renewal of DL, same address and no change in any information.

After that I went inside the submission section, she checked the form, fixed a sticker and asked me go to another section where they take photo and return the form to her. This took almost 20 minutes. The lady gave me the receipt as shown above in Vijay - 968 post and said I would receive the smart card DL within 30 days and keep this receipt carefully.

came out by 12.30 noon, took almost 2 hours.

Last edited:
I forgot to update. My DL got delivered on 28th April. It took more than a month, from the date of issuing me a 'Paper Licence" till it reached my residence.
The lady gave me the receipt as shown above in Vijay - 968 post and said I would receive the smart card DL within 30 days and keep this receipt carefully.
Surprisingly both myself and wife's DL for address change came by post within 15 days. Mine was from outside KA so was expecting nothing less than two months.

But for my neighbor who applied on same day with me, the DL never came by post he went back to RTO to check and he collected it from there as it was never sent out.

All are in KA-51

Re: Different Types of Driving Licenses Available in India

I work in Bangalore. My two wheeler driving licence issued by other state which is going to expire in Dec 2019.

1. Do I need to apply for renewal or fresh two wheeler driving licence?
2. Would it be a completely new request if I want to add four wheeler option too? I guess yes?

Admin, please move this to appropriate thread if necessary.

Thanks

Last edited:

I work in Bangalore. My two wheeler driving licence issued by other state which is going to expire in Dec 2019.

1. Do I need to apply for renewal or fresh two wheeler driving licence?
2. Would it be a completely new request if I want to add four wheeler option too? I guess yes?

Admin, please move this to appropriate thread if necessary.

Thanks
You can apply for renewal at Bangalore with local address proof and local Aadhaar details at below webiste
https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice10/stateSelection.do
In case your old License details are not available online visit nearest local RTO and they would create record for same.
See below thread for details .
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...21-steps-renew-drivers-license-bangalore.html

You can apply for renewal at Bangalore with local address proof and local Aadhaar details at below webiste
https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice10/stateSelection.do
In case your old License details are not available online visit nearest local RTO and they would create record for same.
See below thread for details .
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...21-steps-renew-drivers-license-bangalore.html
Thanks Anshuman. Would it be a new request if I want to add 4 wheeler option?

I went to KR Puram to get the backlog entry for my driving licenses (2W and LMV). My LMV is expiring this month. RTO officer wrongly advised me that I cannot hold 2 licenses and I have to forego both of them. Googling helped to find that indeed clubbing is possible and it was done in Indiranagar RTO. Officer probably wanted to go to a broker. I have now decided not to present both the licenses and present only the one which needs to be renewed for backlog entry.

Backlog entry is needed to get your license into Parivahan database and to get it renewed.

@vijay_968 Thank you very much for your detailed post. It was very useful. I renewed by DL at Rajajinagar RTO.
In the Rajajinagar RTO complex itself there small shops where they will help to fill in the renewal online itself for Rs.100 and may be uploading
of signature and photo is not essential because anyways it is not used. The RTO doctor is also in the complex.

1) First an application for backlog entry needs to be done incase your DL is not in the parivahan database.
2) Apply online at Rajajinagar RTO complex shops, where they will do it for you online
3) Submit it

Nevertheless, @vijay_968 your post was very useful.

renewal at Rajajinagar RTO was much easier and less crowded than KR Puram RTO.

A. When to renew ?
Better start within 30 days before expiry date. Even after expiry date DL can be renewed with penalty. Verified this at both "KA04-Yeshwantpura and KA50-Yelahanka RTOs".

B. Check if your DL in centralized database ?
1. Your DL should have a 15 (or is it 16 ?) digit DL Number, starting with the 'State' followed by 'Issuing RTO', 'Year Issued' followed by a 7 digit number. In my case, DL number has 15 digit. Download the "mParivahan App" and check DL. My 2008 issued DL number was KA-04/F/abcde/2008; I tried KA04200800abcde and it was not in data base.
3. If DL is in data base, go to Para C.
4. If DL is NOT in data base, consult a LOCAL Driving School, "which RTO you need to go to, based on Address". My DL was from KA-04, but my residence comes under KA-50.
5. THEN go to RTO with "Originals and photo copies of DL, Age & Address Proof". They will create a "Application Number" for "DL BACKLOG ENTRY" to bring your DL to Data Base.
6. Use the "mParivahan App" to check if your DL appears. For me it appeared on the 3rd day. If it does, then go to next Para.

C. Preparing Attachments:
1. Form 1a:
1.a) Go to website Download forms | Parivahan Sewa | Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India and download Form 1a. Note: No need to print and fill by hand Forms-9 & 1.
1.b) Fill it and get it approved by any Registered Doctor (For me my Company Doctor certified).
1.c) Ensure that the Dr :

• signs across your photo in the 1st page
  • writes his/her Regn Nr in 2nd page,
  • strikes out the line stating "applicant is NOT medically fit", and
  • affixes "Rubber Stamp" at two places.
Note: I find my Rubber Stamp has more value than me in my Co [lol]

2. Scan Form 1a:
2.a) Scan the two pages as JPG files.
2.b) I used "PhotoScape" to combine both JPG files into a SINGLE JPG image, one below other.
2.c) Keep file size to within 500 kB.

3. Scan "Photo, Sign & Address Proof":
3.a) Photo size should be "Width:35mm and Height: 45mm"
3.b) Scan your Photo and Signature to JPG file to 420 x 525 pixels (preferred).
3.c) Sign within dimensions "Width: 35mm and Height:10.6 mm"
3.d) Scan Signature to Width 256 pixels x Height 64 pixels (preferred).
3.e) REMEMBER to keep the file size to within 20 kB (which age they are in ?).

• Both PhotoScape and MS Picture Manager FAILED to get this right.
  • So, I used GIMP Image Editor to restrict file sizes to within 20 kB each.
  • Ask Google "exactly what you want to do in GIMP" and you will learn.
3.f) Address Proof:
  • Scan the hard copy of Aadhar and save ONLY as a JPG file of size within 500 kB.
  • The website said pdf was OK, but pdf format was WRONG. I wasted a full day trying to upload a pdf file.

D. Applying on-line:
3. Go to website https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice8/stateSelection.do
2. Choose the State. In the next screen, you will find "Driving License), and below it "Apply Online".
3. Click the "small v shaped arrow" and locate "Services on Driving License Renewal/Duplicate/blah blah".
4. There are 18 options including RENEWAL OF DL, CHANGE OF ADDRESS etc.
5. From here onwards, it is self explanatory. Note down the Application Number.
6. Upload all attachments.
7. Pay (based on your options, amount changes).
8. Print out the "on-line receipt" and "on-line Filled Form".

E. Go to RTO:
1. Buy a typical Office File Folder (made of paper) and an office tag.
2. Buy a Envelope for "Self Address"
3. Buy a Plastic cover for attaching original DL.
4. These four will be available near the RTO.
5. File contents:

• Your Org DL in Plastic Cover
  • Self Addressed Envelope
  • on-line receipt
  • on-line Filled Form
  • Doctor's Certificate in Original
  • Photo Copies of "DL and Aadhar"
F. Final Mission - My 4th visit to RTO:
1. With ALL above, I met ARTO in Yelahanka RTO. I was asked to go to the Ground Floor and buy a Hologram for Rs.49. This is fee for Smart DL Card (mentioned in website too)
2. With this sticker on my File, I went back to ARTO. I was told to get "envelope and Plastic Cover". I went to nearby shops, got them and came back to ARTO.
3. After verification, I went to Biometrics in Ground Floor, where my photo was taken (better than Aadhar Grade Photo .... Yayyyyy) and my digital Sign was captured. The in-charge will scribble his sign on your File. Ensure THIS.
4. Once I took the File back to ARTO, it was verified file once again. The ARTO opened parivahan website in office PC, entered the Application Number and did some "tick ... tick .... tick" marks on-line . ARTO signed on my Application and asked me to hand over the file to a Clerk outside.
5. This Clerk checked the file for ALL Signatures, entered my details in a Register, filled out a Paper DL and handed over to me.
6. This Paper DL is valid for 30 Days, by which time I am supposed to get the renewed DL.

Mission accomplished [clap]. The Paper DL below:

View attachment 243145

PS:

1. If you have changed address, you need to visit RTO minimum twice : first regarding Backlog and next for Final Mission. I went four times overall. Two trips were to remind them to clear the backlog. But, I enjoyed those short trips on my Bike after a long long time.
  2. Member MoRa has written about his experience at Yeshwantpur RTO (KA-04) at this link.
I see my DL details in mParviahan mobile app as well as when i enter the detail in the following link :
RC/DL STATUS
I am surprised that when i try to renew DL through Home (select state and then select the DL services), when i enter the details there, it always gives me the error that the DL details are not available in central repository.

Can you pls tell me what exactly is this central data base while the details are available all around ?

Hi Friends,

I had got my license 15 years ago from Jaya Nagar 4th Block and it has expired.
The address is also different on my license from where i am staying now in Bangalore.

I checked and I think i need to get a backlog entry done from Jaya Nagar 4th block RTO. Is my assumption correct?

I wanted to know a few things as below:

1. Is Jaya Nagar RTO open on Saturdays?
2. Has anyone recently got his/her license renewed from there?
3. Would I need to take help from Car Driving schools to get the back log entry done or is it easy to get it done on my own?
4. How shall i handle the change in address?
5.How many minimum visits do you think it will require to get my license to the RTO?
Any Help would be highly appreciated.

regards
Saurabh

Hello,
My Previous license was issued in Jharkhand. When checked, it doesn't allow online entry of Backlog on Parivahan website. I didn't realise that my License just expired a few days ago.
Can I get this (backlog entry) done in nearest Bangalore RTO?

Thanks,
PD

Top Bottom