Steering Wheel Modification For Physically Challanged

Thread Starter #16
Hi

Sorry was away for few days. Jalex, thanks for valuable point, and abou getting lenience, i had already approached RTO n had got LL so getting a DL would not be issue. Thanks for the links, will check them too. I got some info which i wanted to share,

Driving Systems, Handicapped Drivers, Secondary Controls
MDA / Quest 4-1 / Adapted Vehicles

I was wondering if this is possible, then my requirement is nothing compare to what i see in these websites.

350Z

Core Team
I came across this news bit from Autocar India and thought that it would be useful for you. Please read the following.

Driver aids for the physically-challenged have gotten more accessible. Ferro Equip, the only-ARAI certified car modification workshop that caters to the physically-challenged, can modify any vehicle from a small hatch to a high-end car. Ferdinand J Rodricks, who runs the Mumbai-based Ferro Equip, has come up with several innovations such as using a bike handlebar attached below the steering wheel of a car to change the workings of the vehicle in such a way that the accelerator, brake and clutch can all be controlled with it. His modifications are the only ones to be approved by ARAI.

Rodricks says, “Amputees have the need to travel as much as you and I do.” All his modifications come with a lifetime warranty, and Rodricks guides customers on how to handle the cars after they have been retro-fitted with the modifications. Ferro Equp’s modifications ensure that a car’s normal settings work alongside the new adaptation, so that it can be driven by a normal person as well. Rodricks has reconfigured over a thousand cars. Modifications cost between Rs 17,000 and Rs 35,000. To know more about Ferro Equip, log on to: handicappedpeople.com
Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi Experts,
Need your help. I am physically challenged person with disability in right leg. I am planning to purchase a car with manual transmission (as automatic transmission are quite expensive).My budget is maximum 6.5L.Could you please guide me for following:
1) Which car I should go for ( Swift Dzire VXI ? )
2) I need to go for the certain modification.How this car will be registered? Invalid carriage?
3) I know there are certain tax benefits for Vehicle for handicapped person.Would it be possible to register this car as “Normal Vehicle” while claiming tax exemption (like this vehicle will be used for handicapped person, he himself will not drive. May be hired person will drive it)
4) My spouses also have the same disability, could she drive the same vehicle? As I heard that RTO print the vehicle number on driving license (for Invalid carriage) and only the person whose name the vehicle is registered can drive it.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

I am Vasanth K Sandli, I am a Physically challenged person. I am suffering form Muscular dystrophy, it is a disorder that involve muscle weakness and loss of muscle tissue. Due to this I have difficulty to take up the public transportation I thought of owning a car. When I contacted the Learning school they informed that I could not drive a four wheeler with out a proper modification as i do not have strength in both the hands I had difficulty while taking the turns while driving. I could not put sufficient preasure/force on steering to turn the stearing wheel. Though I took time and tried to learn with out modification but failed on all the three attempts.

I contacted few manufacturers but even they could not help me in this as they cannot put manpower for one single vehicle. I also contacted few local garages but they do not have technology or the expertise to do that kind of modification.

I was wondering if there is any one who could do such modification according to requirements.

Waiting for response from any one...
Please see this link Car modifier for physically challenged | Ragesh in Full Throttle!

Top Bottom