SsangYong (M&M) Rexton Launched at 17.67 Lakhs.

re: SsangYong (M&M) Rexton Launched at 17.67 Lakhs.

While I understand your annoyance to Mahindra's naming convention and i am not averse to naming humour, i fail to understand why anyone(unless you are working for a shivering competitor) hopes a product to fail pre launch with no qualification whatsoever.

We should be rather proud of our native manufacturers going all out and doing world wide acquisitions(Mahindra and Tata being best examples). As automotive enthusiasts I would rather want new products to succeed and shake up competition rather so that we as customers get the best value for money. As much as i love the Fortuner I would be thrilled to see a worthy competitor giving it a harder time (i aint proclaiming Rexton will be one but generally) - how else can be get better products and more value for money.

I find your post distasteful to be perfectly honest and urge you to rethink.
Dont misunderstand me but you do have the right to thrash the Rexton for the flaws it has, but lets put forward those facts vis-a-vis price at launch.

Just hoping a product would fail isn't a statement an automotive enthusiast would make, i am sorry to say that. Also just because something is Korean or Chinese or German doesnt make it inherently good or bad.
+1000 buddy rightly said.
When tata took over some of the greatest brands I was proud as if I had took over that company same to M&M when they took over . Love to see both the companies grow as a international brands .
Let rexton succeed buddy to atleast give a threat for some Q brands so that they will price it accordingly.

350Z

Core Team

Unfortunately none of our representatives from Mumbai is available. Please immediately drop me a message or mail (vibhor@theautomotiveindia.com) if someone would like to attend the Rexton launch this noon.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Superbad,Raja and Dharmesh.I only can remember these three active members from Mumbai.Superbad covered Quanto,Raja covered Manza club class,now Dharmesh GET READY DUDE...its your turn.[lol]

350Z

Core Team

Superbad,Raja and Dharmesh.I only can remember these three active members from Mumbai.Superbad covered Quanto,Raja covered Manza club class,now Dharmesh GET READY DUDE...its your turn.
Nope. None of them are available.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I was begin asked to have the honors, But tight project deadlines have caused pain in back side. [frustration]

Also Superbad, called me yesterday for my camera. Unfortunately that's with my sister.

So just feeling very much embarrassed at the moment. [embarass]

I was begin asked to have the honors, But tight project deadlines have caused pain in back side. [frustration]

Also Superbad, called me yesterday for my camera. Unfortunately that's with my sister.

So just feeling very much embarrassed at the moment. [embarass]
dont blame yourself.

i have a personal emergency today, so wont be able to attend the event.

Pricing is good,but the real question is will people buy such an expensive vehicle from an unknown manufacturer?

Agree with Xover .Really wondering who will buy it for 20+ lakhs .

May end up the way of force one and Aria , atleast aria did well in the initial stages .

Pricing is good,but the real question is will people buy such an expensive vehicle from an unknown manufacturer?
Dear Its not an unknown brand. Its all over world. The real problem lies in A.S.S. Why all are behind Maruti cars? Because ASS or cheap spare parts or availability. Consider the case of SKODA, FORD etc. ASS is not good. so the one who has money and to require a distinct image among others will choose this.

Agree with Xover .Really wondering who will buy it for 20+ lakhs .

May end up the way of force one and Aria , atleast aria did well in the initial stages .
Dear Force One or Aria will not come near to REXTON in quality or driving comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:

its launched, pity i could not cover the event

Ssangyong launched its first product in India with the Rexton, and it comes in at a great price point.

The Rexton, which has underpinnings borrowed from a Mercedes-Benz M-Class of a few generations ago, comes with a 2.7-litre Mercedes-derived engine as well, so you know the chassis and powertrain are going to be pretty reliable.
It's available in two trim levels, the lower spec one is called the RX5 while the top-level trim is called the RX7.
The RX5 comes with a 162 bhp version of the 2.7-litre engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission, and a switchable four-wheel-drive unit. It gets fabric seat upholstery, leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob, touchscreen audio system with built-in GPS.
While the RX7 comes with an uprated engine, which now makes 184 bhp of peak power, and a full-time all-wheel-drive system on board, mated only to the 5-speed automatic transmission and in addition to the features on the RX5, it also gets leather interior upholstery, electrically adjustable driver's seat, a sunroof, automatic headlapms, rain sensing wipers, cruise control and a whole set of safety features like ABS, ASR, roll protection, hill descent and even the addition of side curtain airbags.
To bring the Rexton to the market, Mahindra has made an investment of Rs 63 Crores on just the Rexton project and hopes to sell 500 units a month initially.They've got the capacity to produce 5000 units though, for when the demand rises.
Prices for the Rexton start at Rs 17.67 Lakh, ex-showroom, Mumbai for the RX5 manual version and go up to Rs 19.67 Lakh, ex-showroom, Mumbai for the RX7 all-wheel-drive automatic version. You'll have a choice of four colours which are, patient white, moondust silver, volcano black and opulent purple, so get your bookings in soon. The Rexton will initially go on sale in Mahindra dealerships in the Mumbai, Delhi and NCR regions and will be sold alongside the XUV 5oo.
Ssangyong Rexton launched by Mahindra

Looks like good/decent pricing(compared to whats it is being pitched against) is becoming a Mahindra trait with SUVs, though i would have loved to see a manual version of the RX7, i think a RX7m is needed for manual but top end enthusiasts. But again only a full review can prove the credentials of how this compares with say a Fortuner.

Seems to be hit on the right spot with pricing,still some premium missing features compared to its other variant RX7.

M&M is back with a bang. Like always, the company has come up with a very competitive pricing. The engine specs seem decent enough for the price tag, and i expect the refinement levels to be excellent as it carried some genes of the Mercedes M class (of initial days though). Considering the equipment too, the pricing seems fine, however, where Rexton may fail is the lack of premium feel inside. The dash is looking plain with no frills around. Even the seats to me, appear a bit malnourished. And the main thing is, how will a prospective buyer react to the Ssangyong as a brand.
Premium cars have never been accepted well when they have come from an Indian stable (Read MS Vitara & Kizashi), and with this new Korean brand (in india) and that too with M&M with its partner, they track is definitely not an easy one for Rexton.

Top Bottom