Spray Painting Alloys

Thread Starter #1
Hi, I have booked a White I20 Asta and expecting the delivery next week.
I have always had facination of black and white combinations and wanted to put a black alloys on the white car, but since Asta already comes with alloys, changing them to another set of alloys seems a bit expensive and waste of money.
So i was thinking if i could spray paint the existing Hyundai Alloys to black.

But i am not sure if it is a good idea and whether it might affect the dimensions of the alloys, also i am not sure if it would affect the performance and warranty.

If someone has done this before or have some valuable suggestions please let me know.

Hi Raj,
First of all congrats on the new buy.For the painting of alloys you need to go to the expert for this type of job.They have to heat the alloys at a set temperature and then paint it in black.Simply painting them in black will lessen the value and look of the car as its the top end model.
Instead of going all through this haos,crack a deal with the local alloy shop for the exchange for the new black alloys.Money wise it will cost less than painting.The warranty will not be void and there will be no increase in the dimensions.

Whilest your awaiting your car's delivery
I'd suggest you to get the products you need to clean and paint.

You need:
1. Sandpaper
2. Primer
3. High temp spray paint (matt/metallic)
4. High temp Red paint for calipers if you want.

Procedure:
Take the wheels out one by one. Give them a nice clean with a cloth , Use sand paper depending on the surface and then spray a layer of primer if you think the paint won't stick.
You can also use turpentine oil to clean the surface.

Do 3-4 layers of spray paint and make sure you don't drip the paint.

I have done mine long time ago on my old car.(Skyline R33)

Pictures: Before and After and during

Attachments

why don't you try to exchange them.
There is no point exchanging your existing wheels since they are brand new. You can exchange them and get bananas for sure. When we buy Wheels in here say they cost 800 dollars for set of four, if you trade in your same set after a month use thinking to upgrade alloys, the tyre factory people will buy your old ones for 150$ thats how it works, its called business.
So I'd suggest you to keep it and paint and enjoy till the thread runs out

Hi Codename,
Thats very nice work[clap],they look very good on your car.May be I will also try to paint my I20 alloys with black or white colour.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the input codename, I am not sure i would be able to do it myself, but i will try to get it done through a workshop like carnation. I got my brothers punto brake calipers done through them couple of months back.

Attachments

I saw on internet, "PlastiDip" paint can be used for painting stuff like alloys, grill or any part of car.

There are some videos which will give you nice idea about "PlastiDip" paint. One thing i felt bad is it is removable easily so dirt in india will be a big issue if alloys are painted by "PlastiDip".

Top Bottom