Spare Wheel In Car No Longer Compulsory But Only Under These Conditions

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Spare-tyre-in-the-boot-660.jpg

The Central Motor Vehicles Rules has got new amendments in its kitty. One of them is that manufacturers no longer need to put in a spare wheel in the boot. If your car falls in the M1 category that is specified by the CMVR, fitted with tubeless tyres and a tyre pressure monitoring system, then it is exempt from having a spare wheel. Instead of TPMS, if the manufacturer were to offer a puncture repair kit, then this too will be considered as a reason to leave the spare wheel out. If you’re thinking on what is the M1 category, then the CMVR states that it is a passenger vehicle that has no more than eight seats, including the driver. The CMVR also states that the puncture repair kit in the car should have a sealant as well as air pressure compressing device along with it.

Read:

Another ridiculous rule. No repair kit is going to repair a tyre with side wall damage. Been there in deserted road in the midst of nowhere with tire sidewall tear. Never going to give up my spare tyre. But can the car makers stop providing space for storing your spare tyre?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
May be manufacturers wanna make use of the boot for EV conversion as well.
Maybe manufacturers want to put bigger CNG kit + extra battery there.
Very much possible scenario,which actually happened with me:
In the middle of night (1am)you are returning to your hometown with your family from an outstation trip. You suffer a puncture and on getting down you see that the tire has a big 6 inch cut on the sidewall. There is no light around except mobile torch. You can change the puncture tyre with spare tyre and move on in 20-30 minutes.
But after this rule is implemented,are you supposed to mend the puncture in darkness,because there won't be a stepney!! How are you going to repair 6 inch long tyre wall tear?? How many of common folk have this expertise to mend that?? They can change a punctured tyre with a stepney , but they can't mend a puncture in bad or no light.

BAD Rule,I will say. Good for Europe and their roads but Bad, totally bad for India and our roads!

Last edited:
The issue is that, manufacturers will quickly follow the rule, while saving the costs for them - but not transfer the benefit of a single penny to the owners.

The elephant in the room is the absence of spare tyre altogether is. I am sure that now it will become a paid option. But yes, what I wish is that, no manufacturers shall remove the spare tyre space altogether, the cavity shall stay for those who want one.

That said, it's an utter foolish idea; especially looking at the kind of roads we have.

Top Bottom