South Indian Round Trip (Kerala & TN) - 2885 Kms in Ecosport.

Thread Starter #1
Target: Bellary - Munnar (Day1) - Gavi, Kerala (Day3) - Alleppey Houseboat (Day 4) - Kanyakumari (Day 5) - Rameshwaram (Day 6) - Srirangam (Day 7)

Its 4.45 AM on 15.01.14.
Trying to fit all the baggage of 2 families (intro later) into the boot space of Ecosport.
Oh! forgot the ORIGINAL documents of the car -- thanks to wifey for grabbing it quick while I load the luggage.
Changed the back row seat inclination position to MIDDLE & removed the divider part to accommodate things.
Its all done. Its 5.00 AM. Started with TRIP set ZERO. Target was to reach Munnar by around 8.30 PM, with 850 kms done.

At around 8.15 AM was at Kamat Café on AH-47 at Sira. Encountered a troop of about 280 Harley Davidson bikers heading towards Goa. Fascinated by the wrooooom sound of the bikes. -- too good.

Even my cousin was about the join the trip who will be leaving from Bangalore. Just had a check who was getting ready. He left at around 8.45 from Bangalore.

Finished the breakfast by 8.45 AM & left towards Bangalore on AH47. Maintained the average of about 110 kmph till the NICE road (10.00 AM), deviated onto NICE road towards Hosur road. Chose the Bangalore - Salem against Mysore as later was 2 lane & more time consuming.
It was a continuous drive till the Bhavani Deviation at 12.00 PM (40 kms before Salem), got fueled up. Did the necessary entries at the check post. Headed towards Bhavani in 2 lane road. A stop for tender coconuts at Mettur Dam was done.
Had lunch at Saravana Bhavana by 14.00 hrs. Did 590 kms till now.
Next stop was planned at past Udumalaipettai at my friends house for tea. Called up my cousin to check his pace. He was in Tirupur. Sure will get him in an hour or so.

Caught my cousin before Udumalaipettai who was waiting for 10 minutes, guided him to my friends house for tea.
Left at around 18.00 hrs towards Marayoor - Munnar. Done with a series of check post stops & into the ghats. Had a sight of elephant on the road side.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi, Nice start. if your cousin is also starting from Bangalore, you could have picked him up in Bangalore itself right?

Thread Starter #5
Keep Coming. Gavi is near to my place. So look forward your experiences, and photos.
Sure. will add more clicks with info

Hi, Nice start. if your cousin is also starting from Bangalore, you could have picked him up in Bangalore itself right?
We 2 families left from Bellary - a total of 5 in my Ecosport. He left in his Ford Fiesta from Blore.

Nice start. Thanks for the travelogue. Hope to see lots of photos !
Sure. will add more clicks with info

Thread Starter #6
Had a sight of elephant on the road side.
IMG_2687.JPG

The 2 FORDS posing on the way to Munnar.
IMG_2689.JPG

Finally, reached Munnar & directly checked into previously booked hotel " The Spring Dale" . Its about 5 kms from Munnar towards Thekkady at Devikulam.
Had a limited option for the dinner.
Checked into the room, freshened up & finished dinner.
Left for a walk in ditch dark & bitter cold.
Returned back & lied down without knowing when we were asleep.
It was a tiresome day.

Next day, got ready at 7.00 AM with all kids packed in wool. Had the breakfast & headed towards sight seeing. Aimed to reach TOP Station as fast as we could & visit other places on return. This was to avoid the scorching sun at Top Station as one needs to walk a bit there.

But the nature didn't allow me to drive continuously till TS, but gave few stops to capture the beauty.

The Tea Estate enroute to TOP Station
SIMG_2736.JPG

The TOP STATION. Clicked some snaps at TS & returned back to have masala tea & started to our next .
Enroute stopped at many places, the KUNDALA lake, photo point etc
Visited Elephant safari point but missed the ride due to the long queue which demanded time which we didn't have.

By around 2.00 PM returned Munnar city & headed straight to Sarvana bhavan for South Indian meals.

SIMG_2833.JPG

SIMG_2865.JPG
SIMG_2842.JPG

SIMG_2871.JPG
SIMG_2936.JPG

Attachments

Excellent pictures buddy. I guess all the Ecosports on our forum have gone for some or the other trips. Do post more about your trip.

Thread Starter #10
Excellent pictures buddy. I guess all the Ecosports on our forum have gone for some or the other trips. Do post more about your trip.
Sure. Will some more pics in a few days.

Nice travalogue and great pis. How did the Ecoboost performed in Hills? The 2 Fords photo was so cool [:)]
I think Ecoboost is a very good engine. As such haven't faced any performance issues. But at times, found lean sometimes as compared to other cars, I think it was due to full load in the car.

Somash.Awesome pics.waiting for more.
Sure. Time is the factor. definitely will do. THanks

Thread Starter #11
After having typical South Indian meals, headed towards Cochin road. First stop was at Blossom Park (also called Hydel Park). This is one of the place which is I think neglected. Considering the amount of visitors Munnar has, definitely this could have been beautifully maintained.
Later killed time at the park as none wanted to travel more. Had dinner at Surya Soma Restaurant & headed towards the resort for a good sleep.

Day-3

At around 7.30 AM, all were ready with luggage packed. Our cars were shining after a bath in late night yesterday. Had breakfast & headed towards Gavi at 8.30 AM . The roads were awesome smooth but curvy. We both drivers enjoyed too much.
SIMG_2971.JPG
Kerala has beautiful churches too.
SIMG_2984.JPG
Thanks to the cooperation from the occupants. At 11.50 AM we were at Kumily with a small tea break. Had read reviews that Gavi road was too bumpy & full of potholes. At 12.15 PM reached the deviation the Kakki Kavala.
Reached Gavi at 13.30 hrs with all curiously peeping outside for any sightings.
Pls note that Gavi entrance is subject to prior permission.
The Reception building
SIMG_3021.JPG
Green Mansion Rooms
SIMG_3021 1.JPG
SIMG_3022.JPG

The WAY LEADING TOWARDS THE DINING AREA
SIMG_3031.JPG

Finished lunch at Gavi, which was buffet system & shifted luggage to the rooms. Got ready for boating where Mr Varghese our guide was waiting for us. He is a very jovial person
SIMG_3033.JPG
SIMG_3032.JPG

Mr Varghese waiting for us for boat ride
SIMG_3034.JPG
SIMG_3037 1.JPG
SIMG_3041.JPG
SIMG_3048.JPG

Started the boating in 2 boats & headed towards a small water falls. Visited the falls with a small walk. Enjoyed a lot there. Later returned to have some tea to the dining area. Headed towards the small peak for a trek, from where we can see the Sabarimala temple/ peak. Returned back, had dinner by about 20.30 hrs & back to bed for a pleasant undisturbed sleep.
Mr Varghese instructed to be ready by abt 06.15 so that we will be the first to enter the safari area.
Believe me, the amount we pay for the package is worth being there. The food is unlimited & tasty. KFDC has done good efforts. Theres no privatization there which is an added point.

We were ready at 6.00 AM after having black tea & including kids & that too after the early morning bath. This shows the excitation the team had. All luggage packed back into the cars. Started off on the Mahindra AWD jeep. The safari track is not so much into the forest but it’s a kind of abandoned earlier used road which leads to Mozhiyar.
SIMG_3060.JPG
Only Kerala state bus is permitted there. We came across a small herd of about 5 Indian Gaurs at about a distance of 300 mtrs.
SIMG_3066.JPG
See the build of the Indian Gaur
SIMG_3069.JPG
Again moved ahead to come across a huge herd of Gaurs on the opposite hill grazing. Amidst were also seen 3 sambhars.
SIMG_3088.JPG

See the mechanism of the check post to open the gate
SIMG_3095.JPG
SIMG_3103.JPG
With Mr Varghese at the Reception area

SIMG_3108.JPG

Then followed with 3 elephants at a distance of about 500 mtrs which was very difficult to sight. I could manage only with the lens of my camera. Returned back at around 8.30 AM followed by breakfast. At around 9.00 AM we left Gavi. .
SIMG_3115.JPG
SIMG_3116.JPG
SIMG_3118.JPG

At around 13.45 we were at Ponnamadu jetty (Alleppey) to board into the houseboat. The travel was scenic & with one just stop. Got the cars parked, did shopping for some drinks & eatables.

SIMG_3120.JPG
SIMG_3128.JPG
SIMG_3151.JPG

Started to leave the jetty. After about half an hour our stomach was calling for some food. The boat (refer Aquaserene houseboats) was too good, kept clean with good crew of 3 members. Our lunch was ready. We started to fill up our tummy to the fullest. Within a few minutes after lunch I was in deep sleep in the living area itself.
Kids & family enjoyed a lot of the experiences of the houseboat & scenic backwaters. I think government should initiate right now to keep the Keralan backwaters clean. Its full of weeds, even we could see traces of oil on the water. Some of the boat crew were seen throwing kitchen waste into the backwater. The boat was parked by 18.30 hrs & it was movie time with tea. At around 20.30 the dinner was ready with menu suggested by us.

Attachments

Target: Bellary - Munnar (Day1) - Gavi, Kerala (Day3) - Alleppey Houseboat (Day 4) - Kanyakumari (Day 5) - Rameshwaram (Day 6) - Srirangam (Day 7)
Munnar (Day1) - Gavi, Kerala (Day3). Missed Day 2? Is it a missing or day of rest? No details.

Top Bottom