Sony Xperia Tipo or HTC Explorer

Thread Starter #1
So guys,

I have been thinking of buying a new android phone since a few weeks. Especially the urge to buy the phone increased after the TAI app's release [clap].
After searching a lot for quite some time. I am confused between 2 phones that is the Sony Xperia Tipo and HTC Explorer. First, let me tell you the specs of both the phones.

Sony Xperia Tipo
  • Android v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
  • 3.2 MP Primary Camera
  • 3.2-inch TFT Capacitive Touchscreen
  • 800 MHz Scorpion Processor
  • Adreno 200 GPU
  • FM Radio
  • Wi-Fi & 3G Enabled
  • Expandable Storage Capacity of 32 GB
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 2.5GB Internal Memory
Price: Rs 9,499 (Flipkart)

HTC Explorer
  • Android v2.3 (Gingerbread) OS
  • 3 MP Primary Camera
  • 3.2-inch Capacitive Touchscreen
  • 600 MHz Scorpion Processor
  • Adreno 200 GPU
  • Wi-Fi & 3G Enabled
  • FM Radio
  • Expandable Storage Capacity of 32 GB
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 90MB Internal Memory
Price: Rs 7999 (Flipkart)

From the above specs. It shows that the Xperia is the clear winner even though its 1.5k more expensive. IMO, it is a perfect value for money.
But the problem is with the Xperia's touchscreen. It doesn't respond quite well. Many people have reported this but many of them said that it gets okay after installing a patch/update from the service center. So it makes me rethink again. Since I can't take a risk here. I want the beloved TAI member's opinion. The 800mhz processor, 2.5gb memory & android 4.0 ICS is tempting me to buy it but the touchscreen problem makes me to think again.
In short, my heart is saying Xperia but my brain is saying Explorer
Share your opinion! [:)]

Bro get the Xperia. but make sure you check it out in person first. I bought the Explorer in June for 9299. it is a decent specced phone. but the problem is internal memory. seriously it is a big big issue. I kind of regret getting it. the Xperia was not launched back then else it would have been my choice.

Thread Starter #3
Bro get the Xperia. but make sure you check it out in person first. I bought the Explorer in June for 9299. it is a decent specced phone. but the problem is internal memory. seriously it is a big big issue. I kind of regret getting it. the Xperia was not launched back then else it would have been my choice.
well, that is what I am thinking right now. I am trying to get in contact with the service center to know if they have any patch for the phone!

Jihu,

If you want a really good touch screen then nothing beats Samsung and also think about battery back up as you are going to use it for TAI(needs good battery back up), Sony is poor in this aspect too !! Yes it looks very attractive and features wise too, but if you want a real workhorse and very good battery back up, just go with any Samsung mobile.

HTC has number of problems I have come to know about this when my cousin sold it out within 4 months of purchase !!

Jihu,

If you want a really good touch screen then nothing beats Samsung and also think about battery back up as you are going to use it for TAI(needs good battery back up), Sony is poor in this aspect too !! Yes it looks very attractive and features wise too, but if you want a real workhorse and very good battery back up, just go with any Samsung mobile.

HTC has number of problems I have come to know about this when my cousin sold it out within 4 months of purchase !!
even HTC battery backup isnt really great. The Galaxy Y just has too much of a poor screen.

Thread Starter #6
Jihu,

Well, I am not looking forward for a great backup. Maybe just atleast a day or so!
And I don't think I will get a samsung. Coz I personally feel that Galaxy Y is outdated & mainly not powerful enough compared to the competitors after checking reviews.
So then I have the option of Galaxy Ace. Its a bit high for my super tight budget! [frustration]

even HTC battery backup isnt really great. The Galaxy Y just has too much of a poor screen.
Apart from the low internal memory. How is the HTC Explorer? Would you recommend it?

I would suggest you to go with Tipo, I have Xperia and very happy with the same. And also buying Tipo dual sim for my Sis. At that cost. I think that's most VFM. Plus you get ICS, that you don't know when you will get upgrade in ace or Y.

Yes battery is downside, But i am least bothered about the same. My wife switches of data transfer (internet) and ONs it back only when required. This savesd battery a lot and there are also other 3rd party android apps to make battery last longer. If you can wait for few days. I might be able to give you review of Tipo, once my sis buy it. [clap]

You can update your Sony phone with update service free of cost, all you need a stable broadband connection and data cable comes with phone.

Thread Starter #9
I would suggest you to go with Tipo, I have Xperia and very happy with the same. And also buying Tipo dual sim for my Sis. At that cost. I think that's most VFM. Plus you get ICS, that you don't know when you will get upgrade in ace or Y.

Yes battery is downside, But i am least bothered about the same. My wife switches of data transfer (internet) and ONs it back only when required. This savesd battery a lot and there are also other 3rd party android apps to make battery last longer. If you can wait for few days. I might be able to give you review of Tipo, once my sis buy it. [clap]
I am ready to wait! After all I have been waiting all these while & I think I can manage a few more days too.

You can update your Sony phone with update service free of cost, all you need a stable broadband connection and data cable comes with phone.
But I heard that this update isn't provided on internet. Its some kind of patch! Don't know much about it!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Dude you should have stopped reading htc specification at 90mb internal memory.

Don't even think about this. 90 mb is a joke for an android phone. And i can't comment on sony's low nend phone's touchscreen. I have an arc and the touch is amazing. I'm a moderator at sony's world support so yeah i can help you with anything [:D] hopefully.

All application data, some of it, is stored in internal memory and 90 mb is nothing.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Dude you should have stopped reading htc specification at 90mb internal memory.

Don't even think about this. 90 mb is a joke for an android phone. And i can't comment on sony's low nend phone's touchscreen. I have an arc and the touch is amazing. I'm a moderator at sony's world support so yeah i can help you with anything [:D] hopefully.

All application data, some of it, is stored in internal memory and 90 mb is nothing.
I know 90mb is damn low. But to buy a phone with screen problem seems very hard to me! I enquired about it in the Sony Showroom & what they said was "the phone has touch sensitivity problem. It's the problem of the phone itself. The new ones are now okay!".
Lemme check some more reviews :stupid:

Get any MMX or Karbonn phones. They are the best at this budget. Will tell you which one's the best.

Thread Starter #14
Get any MMX or Karbonn phones. They are the best at this budget. Will tell you which one's the best.
Well, I have checked those phones & really is affordable with more features. But I doubt its reliability as I want the phone to last atleast 2 years.

Well, I have checked those phones & really is affordable with more features. But I doubt its reliability as I want the phone to last atleast 2 years.
They will last. But be sure to use it very carefully. :tongue:
BTW what was your budget? If you are able to stretch it to 12K, you will get good phone with awesome dev. support.

Top Bottom