Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer: Honest Review

Thread Starter #1
Sonax_BSD_Header.jpg

SONAX Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) - Honest Review

Lately I have been testing car care and detailing products from different brands, Sonax BSD is one of them. I have bought the product from Car Power Grid website for Rs. 610 and it is still available as a clearance sale but DOM is 2015. It has life of 5 years so not a big deal. Also available on Amazon India for few hundreds more.

SONAX is the market leader in car care products in Germany, and one of the leading manufacturers worldwide. However, this is my first Sonax Product and it is so exciting. The BSD was updated or improved some years ago and placed under Xtreme Line. The predecessor bottle was opaque and gray in color.

Obviously the product comes in a spray bottle of 750ml. Fortunately the spray head works nicely and doesn't drip. Product is very easily to apply with sufficient time to spread evenly on the surface. Doesn't leave much residue, if any can be wiped off easily. I have used around 50ml to apply a single coat on my pre-cleaned car. Previously it had Menzerna PPU and K2 Ultra Wax.

Officially, BSD is a quick detailer which is used for cleaning light dirt, stains, bird poop and it has Hybrid Polymer Technology that provides super hydrophobic surface, paint reflection and long lasting protection. I prefer to use it as a spray sealant on a clean car or as LSP so that the product can be used efficiently. Most people like BSD because it gives amazing water beading effect but when it is dried especially with dirt, the surface looks too dirty (water spots or dirt spots). Another issue is that it lacks slick feeling that you get with other products but you will definitely notice where this product has been applied by it's unique feeling on the paint.

To test the durability of BSD after washing, I have used four car cleaning products on different panels. Shampoo, shampoo with Wax, rinseless and rinseless with wax. CG Citrus Wash & Gloss, CG Body Wash & Synthetic Wax, Proklear RAW and RAW CX respectively. Surprisingly, none of these products affected water beading nor the BSD layer. Also my car trunk has exposed to frequent heavy rains but still the BSD layer is holding good.

So far I have used two carnauba based spray waxes, Optimum Car Wax and Proklear SX. These are more of a water sheeting products so the surface will be super sleek and water glides off, leaving a clean surface. Durability would be less then sealant or depends on how we maintain.

Ok lets see the results of BSD

CR_ANHC09_Sonax_BSD_001.jpg
CR_ANHC09_Sonax_BSD_002.jpg

Water Behavior

Before_Sonax_BSD.jpg
(Before the application of BSD)

Sonax_BSD_Water_Beading_001.jpg
(After 2 days of BSD application)

Sonax_BSD_Before_Washing.jpg
(After 4 days of BSD application and before washing)

Sonax_BSD_After_Washing.jpg
(After washing with CG Citrus Wash & Gloss)

Videos
(After 12 hours of BSD application)​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuTsLR4URIEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rquR4OpNx6whttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAArl4kTo_s
Click here to view pictures of my car care and detailing products.
Click here to view pictures of my car.

Thats it. Thanks for visiting my thread and I hope you liked my review. If you have any queries, feel free to ask me. Also if you have used Sonax BSD, do post your review and results here.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi Cracing, glad to bump into you here too. As you have already used so many products for detailing, I would like to have some suggestions from you.

First of, the place I live, is a common parking, so I can't use a dedicated pressure washer (which needs electricity). Any portable pressure washer you can suggest?
For the quick detailer, as you mentioned above, the beading effect and all is fine, but if it leaves water marks then it looks equally shabby after.

So any suggestions on products for which the water will slide off, rather than form beads?

Thread Starter #5
Hello,

First of, the place I live, is a common parking, so I can't use a dedicated pressure washer (which needs electricity). Any portable pressure washer you can suggest?
You can check out pump pressure sprayers. It is best suited for rinseles wash and I have been using it with Proklear RAW and RAW CX since many years. However, rinseless wash is for light to medium dirty vehicle only. For bonded or heavy dirt, you will need bucket wash, hose pipe from overhead tank or pressure washer for good and safe cleaning.

For the quick detailer, as you mentioned above, the beading effect and all is fine, but if it leaves water marks then it looks equally shabby after.

So any suggestions on products for which the water will slide off, rather than form beads?
I think Meguiar's Yellow Wax, Meguiar's Black Wax, Sonax High Speed Wax cause least amount of water beading but these products will last 1-2 months max.

If there is no water beading then it will be very difficult know whether the paint is protected. Also I don't mind about water spots since it can be cleaned easily.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Ive used Meguiar's Black wax on my Tiago. It has lasted me upto 6 months of light usage without any top ups. It is a good product. But not recommended to use regularly unlike the yellow wax which is carnauba based. Use it 3 or 4 times a year is what Meguiar's themselves suggest.

Thread Starter #7
Ive used Meguiar's Black wax on my Tiago. It has lasted me upto 6 months of light usage without any top ups. It is a good product.
6 months? wow, I cannot believe it. For me it lasted 2-3 months max which includes wash and wax every week. Still I liked it because it saves time and gives depth to my dark color car.

But not recommended to use regularly unlike the yellow wax which is carnauba based. Use it 3 or 4 times a year is what Meguiar's themselves suggest.
Meguiar's Black Wax is AIO (Has polishing and cleaning abilities along with synthetic wax) so yeah not advisable for regular use especially on Asian brand cars having tin paint/clear coat. However, its good for beginners and those who don't want to use multiple products for detailing.

6 months? wow, I cannot believe it. For me it lasted 2-3 months max which includes wash and wax every week. Still I liked it because it saves time and gives depth to my dark color car.
My car running is very low and this pandemic has not done any good to those figures. So 6 months, most of the time the car was under cover.

Meguiar's Black Wax is AIO (Has polishing and cleaning abilities along with synthetic wax) so yeah not advisable for regular use especially on Asian brand cars having tin paint/clear coat. However, its good for beginners and those who don't want to use multiple products for detailing.
Yeah absolutely true.

Top Bottom