Something broken inside??

Thread Starter #1
hey guys,
while i was driving my car today, (don't worry, just in parking lot)
i went to about 20-25 and braked hard and turned but...
i heard some knock in the steering arm
i tried it again and it came again
but the third time it didn't come.

is something wrong or has something broken?

Something might be wrong if your are getting the noise from the steering arm.

But first let us know the exact place from where you are getting the sound,i mean are you sure the sound comes from the steering arm ?

Listen To Your Car Sound

May be this article help -

A moving car is a complex symphony of sound, most of it reassuring--tires humming, engine rumbling, tailpipes roaring.

THUMPTHUMP
THUMPTHUMP
THUMPTHUMP

WHERE: From one or more tires.
WHEN: At low speeds, especially in the morning. Speeds up with car.
WHAT: Flat-spotted tire. As the tire rotates the flat spot thumps on the ground. Nylon-cord tires will flat-spot overnight and make this sound until they warm up. It's usually worse in colder weather. You can permanently flat-spot the tires by locking up the wheels, grinding massive amounts of rubber off the tread in one spot.
URGENCY: Nada.
FIX: Replace your nylon tires with steel-belted tires. If you've ground down your tires like a pencil eraser, you can either live with the vibration until wear reduces the flat-spotting or buy new tires

FFFFffff ttttFFFF ffff ttttFFFFffff tttt
WHERE: Under the hood.
WHEN: Most noticeable at idle.
WHAT: An exhaust manifold gasket has failed, venting hot exhaust gases to the air.
URGENCY: It's not getting better on its own. The blowtorch of corrosive gases will eventually damage the manifold. Oh, by the way: Carbon monoxide from the leak may make you drowsy or dead.
FIX: Replace the exhaust manifold gasket before the leak eats a hole in the manifold.

Ticktickticktick
WHERE: Under the center of the car, toward the rear.
WHEN: While in motion and varying with road speed.
WHAT: U-joint (rwd or 4wd only). A U-joint in your driveshaft has finally run out of grease, is getting loose and is about to fail.
URGENCY: That's really just an urban legend about cars polevaulting over broken driveshafts when U-joints fail at speed, right?
FIX: Replace all the U-joints and keep the new ones greased regularly.

EEEEEEEeeeee
WHERE: Inside the wheels.
WHEN: Slowing down; it's sometimes worse on damp days.
WHAT: Your brake pads are stroking the discs like a violin bow.
URGENCY: Sometimes they do that. Your brakes still work fine.
FIX: Try new pads, adhesive to hold pads to the piston or shims to insulate the piston from the pads. Another option: earplugs. (Sometimes the sound is difficult to eliminate.)

SSSSSSSSSSSS
WHEN: Anytime the engine is running, but it's most noticeable at idle speed.
WHAT: Vacuum leak. A rubber or plastic vacuum line or fitting has split or fallen apart.
URGENCY: If you're wondering why your Check Engine light is on and why your car idles poorly, this is probably why.
FIX: Reconnect or replace the line.

Clang
WHERE: Under the center of the car or truck, near the middle.
WHEN: Starting off at traffic lights. Most often heard on pickups with automatic transmissions, not manuals.
WHAT: The splines that allow the driveshaft to change length where it connects to the tailshaft are binding as you slow down and then releasing when you start off.
URGENCY: Annoying, but They All Do That--or at least some of them do it some of the time.
FIX: Packing the spline area with special grease helps for a month or so. Or just sell the car or truck.

ThunkThunkThunk
WHERE: One or both front corners of the vehicle.
WHEN: Going around slow, sharp corners under light throttle.
WHAT: A CV joint that allows your front wheels to turn and still be powered is loose. The boot has failed and let out all the CV joint's grease, or maybe it's just time for it to wear out.
URGENCY: Don't leave town. Don't use a lot of throttle around sharp turns. Your car will stop suddenly when the joint completely fails.
FIX: Replace the entire off ending half-axle.

CLUNK
WHERE: Front end.
WHEN: Initially, when parking; eventually, over small bumps.
WHAT: The ball joint that connects the suspension arm to the upright has lost its lubrication and the metal-to-metal contact is wearing it out.
URGENCY: Make an appointment. Avoid bumpy roads, curbs and potholes.
FIX: Replace the ball joint.

GrumbleGrumble
WHERE: Front of the car.
WHEN: At idle. (Check for weeping coolant at the bottom of the water pump, too.)
WHAT: Water pump bearings.
URGENCY: When the bearings fail completely, the fan will pull forward and slice a nice big smile-shaped chunk out of the radiator, making it leak profusely.
FIX: You need a new pump.

Yyyyoooooowwwwrrrrrrr
WHEN: Whenever you rotate the steering wheel all the way to the left or right steering stop and hold it there.
WHAT: The pressure relief valve inside the pump is dumping excess power-steering hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir. It's supposed to do that, although maybe a little more quietly.
URGENCY: No big deal.
FIX: It's normal. Actually, you should check the level of powersteering fluid in the pump. Don't hold the wheel hard on the stop like that; it annoys pedestrians and is tough on the belt.

YEEEEeeeeeaaaaawwwppp
WHEN: Right after startup until you rev the throttle a couple of times and the rubber warms up.
WHAT: Belt squeal. A loose or glazed belt, bad tensioner or misaligned pulley.
URGENCY: Make an appointment, and don't take a long trip. This won't go away on its own--until just before the belt fails.
FIX: Check belt tension and pulley alignment; replace the belt.

Source - popmechanics

Thread Starter #6
May be this article help -

A moving car is a complex symphony of sound, most of it reassuring--tires humming, engine rumbling, tailpipes roaring.

THUMPTHUMP
THUMPTHUMP
THUMPTHUMP

WHERE: From one or more tires.
WHEN: At low speeds, especially in the morning. Speeds up with car.
WHAT: Flat-spotted tire. As the tire rotates the flat spot thumps on the ground. Nylon-cord tires will flat-spot overnight and make this sound until they warm up. It's usually worse in colder weather. You can permanently flat-spot the tires by locking up the wheels, grinding massive amounts of rubber off the tread in one spot.
URGENCY: Nada.
FIX: Replace your nylon tires with steel-belted tires. If you've ground down your tires like a pencil eraser, you can either live with the vibration until wear reduces the flat-spotting or buy new tires
that was the problem!!
i just saw it!
have given it to fix already
the tire was badly deflated!

Arun

Suspended
Helpful article RSM. Hope the problem is fixed now type-r.
Try making those sounds yourself! It's hilarious! [lol!]

napster

Suspended
Wow! This is an article I've been looking for from a very long time. I never knew something like this ever existed [:D]. According to this article, My drive shaft is going to fail :(

Arun

Suspended
Wow! This is an article I've been looking for from a very long time. I never knew something like this ever existed [:D]. According to this article, My drive shaft is going to fail :(

Dude! The 800 is a FWD. No reason to worry! It is applicable only to cars, not your pimped out spaceship! [;)] [thumbswink]

CLUNK
WHERE: Front end.
WHEN: Initially, when parking; eventually, over small bumps.
WHAT: The ball joint that connects the suspension arm to the upright has lost its lubrication and the metal-to-metal contact is wearing it out.
URGENCY: Make an appointment. Avoid bumpy roads, curbs and potholes.
FIX: Replace the ball joint.
Hey nice article RSM , I think am experiencing this!!

Thread Starter #15
aha!
today i found a nail under my other rear tire!
the one that was flat first was the left rear one
i saw a nail under the right rear tire today!
surely somebody must have done something like this before too!
[frustration]

Top Bottom