So Called ‘Certified’ Used Cars – Myths & Facts Exposed

@ vista addict I never said purchasing a new vehicle is not be considered. I only wanted to point out that owning a second hand car is not that a bad deal. And regarding maintenance if you maintain your used vehicle well it doesn't give you too much of a problem. Finally the point boils down to how you maintain your new vehicle or old vehicle. I have seen vehicles just 2 years old having an engine breakdown however I do agree that old vehicles are more prone to breakdowns compared to new ones.yeah warranty is something that cannot be got on a used car. But if you know how to source parts maintaining a old vehicle is not a problem at all that has been my experience. Again I just wanted to say owning a used car is not a bad deal never intended on saying buying a new car is a loss. However even if I face a engine breakdown I think I'll spend less amount to source a new engine from the company than I would loose in 5 years of owning a new car and if I source it from insurance scrapped total loss car I still am saving. Again this is my prospective. Each one has his/ her own. I have accepted yours and just put forward mine.no offence intended[:D]

Last edited:
Re: So Called ‘Certified’ Used Cars – Myths & Facts Exposed

Coming to the tyres part, they may not be from the latest batch.
For example, I today morning bought two tyres from my Skoda Octavia. The manufactured date was YYY4713.
The tyres were YOKOHAMA manufactured and imported in Japan. The fourth picture is one of the four tyres I bought less than two years ago.

I want to confirm from any of you who have bought tyres on the recent pasty to check the manufactured date.

I'm posting pictures for your reference.

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, there are some very interesting facts to be learned in this thread. Autocar, a big thank you! Please continue with the posts.

While we can continue with the ethics etc; end of the day, everyone out there is out to make a living. We need to know what the correct information is for most of these points. Hence keep the information flowing, and well done!

I love this thread, most facts are true in my experience,

Once we brought a swift vxi from a used car dealer with a huge engine issue that was unknown. white smoke indicates that on the first start everyday, but while we inspect the car twice in two days that was not shown. Why?. Simple, because they started and run the car for sometimes before we arrive.

Luckily we exchanged it with new wagon r without loosing much. But this type cheating also happening in the used car showrooms.

Hi friends, very useful discussion. I have the following questions to the friends who are working in used car business.
1.Is it really possible for a used car dealer to earn profit even after he follows all the actions genuinely? (here profit means after considering all like employee salary, interest on investment, day-today expenditure etc)
2. Is there any significant effect in certified used car business after online used product selling sites become popular?

Last edited:
@Siva2827
1. there is always margin for the dealer in case there isnt then he has to shut doors. so there is a margin however the margin grows smaller and smaller as the days pass by. so there are some people who keep 2-3% margin when they see a cash deal which is good from the transaction point of view.

lets say i have a maruti 800 and im a dealer. i have bought it for 75k and washed it and cleaned it and is on display the very next day i get a cutomer for it i quote 90k for it and the buyer comes down to 80k and says that he wants the car the same day as he would settle it on the same day i being a dealer will be ready to sell the car. if you ask why??
1. The parking spot is cleared for another vehicle
2. the car was bought in yesterday and today its sold with a mere margin of 5k. however the money that i have invested i have got that back and a bit of profit on it. just within a day which allows me to transact for another buy which might bring me better profits.
3. i spent low on it as it had not sat in my yard gathering dust for a few days. so my maintenance cost is lessened.

now for your second point
2. yes due to buyer getting to know the seller directly through websites like olx and quicker and others. there is impact on the second hand car sale business, however if i have a business i am there in my office to answer the person who bought a car from me. but it might not be the case when i buy it directly from the seller as the seller might be moving out, changing his address so on so forth. so there is always competition in the business. however its the confidence you build about yourself in the minds of the customer.

i was in this business and believe me if you sell a car to someone and that person comes to you for selling and you explain the depreciation cycle to him/her and you get them a better deal they are always loyal to you. and will come back to you for their future purchase.

i have always had repeat customers. who got their friends to me for cars as well as got their family member for an additional car. its the trust you build.
i have had doctors who have purchased their second car which is used car and then refer their patients who were in need of car or his co workers were directed to me for their requirement of cars. so its basically how well you know what you are selling and given a chance your buying back of the vehicle which was sold by you.

i used to visit a few customers every month and inquire with them about their car as to what has happened with it. any complaints f they were minor i would suggest them remedies to fix it or give them the cost of repairing it. or share a contact with them who could get their work done faster. some time tell them how to maintain their car. these small things make you stand out of the crowd.

Last edited:

deville_56

Honoured Member
Been to India's biggest certified network for an Alto K10. Saw a swanky looking grey 2016 model with low mileage. 3.25 L last price, take it or leave it. Checked the service history via an acquaintance and the odo was rigged by close to 15k km, which was almost one-third of the original reading.

Switched the outlet and with another dealer of the same certified network, found a 2012 model with similar mileage. 29k km only. Once suspicious, always suspicious. Checked the history and it did 33k km service in March 2020 with major body work.

Lesson learned, the glorious certified network is worse than the inglorious used car dealers. They at least don't overprice the lemon cars.

Top Bottom