Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider Review

Re: Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider

Jeno, many congrats on your Octy! It was a good review. Photos were also great.
In regards to parking sensors, i got it fitted from the dealership. It is a Xenos (Without cam). Going by your driving experience, I would not recommend the one with camera. The parking sensors with Beep is effective!
My friend who has camera is having issues during Rainy seasons.
The only problem i am facing is driving in city traffic. The beep goes up when someone is parking near you in signals/ overtakes you in very short distance towards the vehicle.
I checked out with the ASS to have a switch to on and off during parking only. They said that it is not possible (Ideally it should be). Did not find time to check out with the manufacturer/ other workshops.

Last edited:

^^^
Truecitylover, I would suggest to use 'Reverse gear switch' for parking sensor. We have it on our Civic, parking sensor works only when reverse gear is engaged.

^^^
Truecitylover, I would suggest to use 'Reverse gear switch' for parking sensor. We have it on our Civic, parking sensor works only when reverse gear is engaged.
Thanks for the info Mr. Boss. Can you tell me what is "Reverse gear switch"? Is it a setting that we need to change? BTW, i/ most folks require it only while parking. So, there may be times when you need to park like bumper to bumper. In that case?[surprise]

Thread Starter #34

Thanks for the info Mr. Boss. Can you tell me what is "Reverse gear switch"? Is it a setting that we need to change? BTW, i/ most folks require it only while parking. So, there may be times when you need to park like bumper to bumper. In that case?[surprise]
A reverse gear switch is something which controls your reverse lights at the rear(and reverse sound too) , so if you connect the sensor set with the reverse gear switch, it will work, only when reverse gear in on !

Now, my Q , how much does the distance showing sensor cost.??

Jeno[cheers]

sensor alone cost around 2000 and you can see distance in your centre mirror but camera let you see what's really behind you . Well i have been parking my safari without any help from any sensor stuff and now i have idea how much space i have to keep in mind while reversing

Thread Starter #38

sensor alone cost around 2000 and you can see distance in your centre mirror but camera let you see what's really behind you . Well i have been parking my safari without any help from any sensor stuff and now i have idea how much space i have to keep in mind while reversing
Even i have a good calculation, in the place where i park, but in new environments or places, it will be safe to have a sensor ! thats what i thought, and 2k is worth giving for the peace of mind it gives. thanks for the info master.

Jeno[cheers]

Guys,

Even i am planning to buy octy, but here in bangalore they are quoting it for higher prices. A dealer is selling a octy(white) Apr 2007 for 7.5 , it has done 40k and it has no alloys,sunroof. How much i can afford at max for this ?
Need ur suggestions

Rao

Thread Starter #40

2007 40k for 7.5L is okay, but try to negotiate for 7L. That will be a good deal. Try to avoid L&K because of more electronic stuffs insid(auto Ac problem) , so go for the rider, lesser the electronics, lesser the problems in long run. And try to search in sulekha.com for better deals.

Things you should check before getting a octy

-> Check the tires (should be running the first set 40k)
-> Start the engine (u may hear some screecching sound, but its common in all octavias [frustration]
-> shift to first gear , slowly release the clutch, if u get some considerable amount of vibration, then the clutch has some problem or clutch plate has worn out.
-> drive it for 5 mins. stop the car and open the engine bay, there should not be much heat.

One more thing , even i had a budget to get a 2007-2008 Octavia, but what i felt was, Octavias never get old. I have heard that people in turkey drive this car till 600k kms. So went for the older 2005 one, and so i got 2 more lakh in my hand to service and tyre change (compared to 7L). Even a whole clutch assembly change in authorized center will not cost above 30-40k. So think wisely.

Jeno

Thanks Jeno,

Actually i was planning to get a IKon or Fiesta Diesel and was looking for a octy too. Once after reading ur exp i got attracted more towards octy :)
I think for bangalore-chennai trips it will be more good than Ford's.

Hi Jeno,
that was an awesome reviews.
By the way I am from chennai, Planning to buy octavia TDI rider , but a bit worried about the service & maintainance cost...i dont want to take my octy to the Gurudev.........[frustration]
Can u suggest some good mechanic(a friend of urs) who really give us the worth for the Money we spend...!!! :please:

Thread Starter #43

Hi Jeno,
that was an awesome reviews.
By the way I am from chennai, Planning to buy octavia TDI rider , but a bit worried about the service & maintainance cost...i dont want to take my octy to the Gurudev.........[frustration]
Can u suggest some good mechanic(a friend of urs) who really give us the worth for the Money we spend...!!! :please:
Yeah sure vinocity, I am also ready to help you get a good used Octavia too.
And gurudev, [frustration] I know. And i decided not to give my car there before buying it!

Jeno[cheers]

Thread Starter #44

Thanks Jeno,

Actually i was planning to get a IKon or Fiesta Diesel and was looking for a octy too. Once after reading ur exp i got attracted more towards octy :)
I think for bangalore-chennai trips it will be more good than Ford's.
Yeah ofcourse, Octavia is a brilliant highway car, It even matches with cars which is above its segment. And its mileage in highway along with speed puts the competition to shame.

comparing Jetta 0-100 in 14+secs of today to Octavia 0-100 in 13 secs of a car which was released in 2003. Makes it look like a great deal.

Jeno[cheers]

Hey thanks Jeno,
i got an Octavia TDI Rider 2007 which has done 39K almost.
[:)]
Looking forward to have it serviced first with a best mechanic.

Cant wait to get my hands on it ...[drive]

Top Bottom